IGNORED

2017 Open Championship at Royal Birkdale Discussion Thread

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, weekend hacker1 said:

This is far from over. 

Couldn't agree more....this is wide, wide open at this point...Rory and Hideki bigtime in the mix, among many others....even the guys at +2 aren't completely out......winning score could be 4 or 5 under easily

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

6 minutes ago, BallStriker said:

Couldn't agree more....this is wide, wide open at this point...Rory and Hideki bigtime in the mix, among many others....even the guys at +2 aren't completely out......winning score could be 4 or 5 under easily

Not if the weather is supposed to be perfect which I think it is for the weekend.  I think 10 under wins.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Yeah, I think the winning score will be a bit better than 5-under. A lot depends on the top 4 and how they do, obviously. The breeze is supposed to be up on Sunday, but tomorrow should be interesting because there will be opportunities for great scores. There's supposed to barely a sniff of wind tomorrow and the greens are going to be very receptive and soft. If ever a 62 was possible at Birkdale, tomorrow would be that day. So I think there will be some moves made tomorrow from guys further back. Fowler could go out and shoot a 63 very easily and get right back in it.

I'm rooting for Spieth, Kuchar or Rory. I like all those guys. I think a Spieth would be the most popular over here in the States, but Kuch is such a great guy. It's hard not to root for him. And if not those 3, my 4th pick is anyone not named Poulter.

Edited by ChrisP

22 minutes ago, Chris223 said:

Not if the weather is supposed to be perfect which I think it is for the weekend.  I think 10 under wins.

Yea, will agree if weather cooperates...thought I heard that thunderstorms are expected for tomorrow, but that may be old information.........just gonna love watching the next couple of days unfold....gonna definitely dig around and see what I can dig up for a couple of good longshot bets to win.....

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

2 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Yea, will agree if weather cooperates...thought I heard that thunderstorms are expected for tomorrow, but that may be old information.........just gonna love watching the next couple of days unfold....gonna definitely dig around and see what I can dig up for a couple of good longshot bets to win.....

Hard to bet against Spieth right now, he has the putter working this week and his iron play has been stellar.  

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

After crapping peach seeds all day Friday; Tommy Fleetwood is now poised to torch the place over the weekend.  The pressure is off and the pleasure is on.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People are scoring this morning  It seems like people are making moves, but none of it will matter if the conditions are the same when the leaders tee off.  

So does the ghost of 63 finally get destroyed and a 62 gets shot? Today could be the day. Hell maybe even a 61. Guys tearing apart Birkdale so far.

Edited by ChrisP

44 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

So does the ghost of 63 finally get destroyed and a 62 gets shot? Today could be the day. Hell maybe even a 61. Guys tearing apart Birkdale so far.

Only 11 people are under par and the leader is at -6. I doubt that it will happen. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Brandon Grace is playing an unbelievable round. Really hope he fires that elusive 62!!

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

What a round by Grace!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Is it bad that I'm rooting against Grace? Would be weird if a relative no-name had the record. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Gotta admit, I'm a little torn on that too...

How shitty would it be to blow it with a 3-putt though?!  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, jamo said:

Is it bad that I'm rooting against Grace? Would be weird if a relative no-name had the record. 

I wish I could fathom when a "no-name" golfer becomes a "name."

Perhaps it happens when he shoots a 62 at the Open Championship?

Gotta give him credit. Excellent chip/first putt. 

Just now, ScouseJohnny said:

I wish I could fathom when a "no-name" golfer becomes a "name."

Perhaps it happens when he shoots a 62 at the Open Championship?

Maybe win more than once on the PGA Tour?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

this is so much fun to watch. Really pulling for him. 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 2460 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!