IGNORED

Getting into PURE Grips

15 hours ago, Shindig said:

Yeah, I really should be willing to pay that, and I will be okay doing so.  Part of me is still in graduate school mentality about spending money (and I've been out of graduate school almost as long as I was in it).   Besides, at $40-$50 + grip costs to pay a store to regrip, I'll recoup the money in 13 months after my second full set re-gripping with this.

Oh!  Is there any difference to regripping a graphite shafted club with these?  

Here's the thing....with PURE grips you might find yourself going a lot longer than you would've before changing...like years longer.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Here's the thing....with PURE grips you might find yourself going a lot longer than you would've before changing...like years longer.

Interesting.  I have one on my 6-iron, but I use that club more than any other.  Is it because of how they're installed or how they're made?  I don't know how this one was applied (paid to have it done at a PGA store). 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

24 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Interesting.  I have one on my 6-iron, but I use that club more than any other.  Is it because of how they're installed or how they're made?  I don't know how this one was applied (paid to have it done at a PGA store). 

They just use a rubber compound that wears really well.  Its the opposite of "planned obsolescence".

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I have done a full set of irons with ONE can of compressed air. Like the ones you steal from work that are made to blow out the keyboard etc.. I put electrical tape around the straw that came with the can to provide a seal in the grip hole and went at it. Was it easy? No, but it wasn't particularly hard. 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

They just use a rubber compound that wears really well.  Its the opposite of "planned obsolescence".

Interesting.  I'll have to see how I feel a year from now.  I wonder if the wear on my 6-iron is due to its overuse or if there's another factor.  Or maybe I just can't evaluate if a grip really is worn or not -- I think my 5-iron at the moment has a decent grip on it, despite not having changed it since buying the set about six years ago.

Just now, Joeyvee said:

I have done a full set of irons with ONE can of compressed air. Like the ones you steal from work that are made to blow out the keyboard etc.. I put electrical tape around the straw that came with the can to provide a seal in the grip hole and went at it. Was it easy? No, but it wasn't particularly hard. 

Yeah, I have cans of those in my garage (not stolen from work).  I may try to avoid jerry-rigging it though since I'm not really experienced in these kinds of things.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Just now, Shindig said:

Interesting.  I'll have to see how I feel a year from now.  I wonder if the wear on my 6-iron is due to its overuse or if there's another factor.  Or maybe I just can't evaluate if a grip really is worn or not -- I think my 5-iron at the moment has a decent grip on it, despite not having changed it since buying the set about six years ago.

Yeah, I have cans of those in my garage (not stolen from work).  I may try to avoid jerry-rigging it though since I'm not really experienced in these kinds of things.

If you damaged your grip or golf club in any way you should not be allowed to walk. It is really simple. 

"My greatest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my golf clubs for what I told her I paid for them."
What's in my SQ Tour Carry bag?:
Driver: R7 Quad 9.5*
3, 5 Wood: G5 clones
Irons: : AP1 (4-PW) Wedges: 52*, 56*, 62* Spin Milled Putter: White Hot 2 Ball BladeBalls: Shoes: My...

Joey, I noticed you didnt get in on my club building challenges. Thats ok, by your posts, it shows your not very smart. Do you have any idea what is in those cans???  As a 45 yr club builder, I care for your health and safety. Do not do what this fool is doing. A 10" piece of double sided tape is 10 cents--6 cents for solvent.. I dont see any reason to use air. 

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I still have some clubs with the Pure Pro grips I bought a few years ago and they're still very tacky. I went to the Pure wraps the second time around but didn't care for them as much. I'll go back to the Pure Pros again next year.

Jon

I just ordered the set of 13 grips through Amazon.  Will see when they get here what they include.  

• Upvote 2

-- Michael | My swing! 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, pgone said:

Do not do what this fool is doing. A 10" piece of double sided tape is 10 cents--6 cents for solvent.. I dont see any reason to use air. 

There are plenty of reasons to use compressed air:

• Faster
  • Cheaper
  • Easier
  • Cleaner (no liquids to catch, dispose of, splash or squirt anywhere, etc.)

Never mind that you can remove and save grips, swap them out in a matter of seconds, etc.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, pgone said:

Joey, I noticed you didnt get in on my club building challenges. Thats ok, by your posts, it shows your not very smart. Do you have any idea what is in those cans???  As a 45 yr club builder, I care for your health and safety. Do not do what this fool is doing. A 10" piece of double sided tape is 10 cents--6 cents for solvent.. I dont see any reason to use air. 

Have you not looked up Pure Grips installation kit? It's just compressed air and quite simple. I too, as a physician, care for your health. While I don't recommend using the can made for cleaning keyboards, I do like the installation method Pure Grips use. Your carcinogenic solvent is what is actually not necessary, though cheap.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Have you not looked up Pure Grips installation kit? It's just compressed air and quite simple. I too, as a physician, care for your health. While I don't recommend using the can made for cleaning keyboards, I do like the installation method Pure Grips use. Your carcinogenic solvent is what is actually not necessary, though cheap.

Physician Heal Thyself--- You should worry more about your SHANKS!!!  

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, pgone said:

Physician Heal Thyself--- You should worry more about your SHANKS!!!  

I don't know what your problem is, but dude… cool it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I dunno if you have to pay to pump air in your car tires where you live, but I have pay 2 dollars to top off the tires, a long time ago air used to be free. The air compressor will help with that plus no more hand pumping bicycle tires if you ride. Who knows maybe you want to DIY - pressure washing, sandblasting, spray paint.

Plus you store one less can of flammable liquid in your house/garage.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I bought a bunch of Pure Pro grips at the Golfsmith going out of business sale and bought the installation gun on Amazon.  I purchased an inexpensive pancake air compressor from Harbor Freight and the grips installed great even though it was below the recommended capacity.

I've installed grips with tape and solvent and this obviously and I really prefer the air installation.  Its pretty super easy and changing the next go around will be even easier.

Has anyone tried their putter grips?  I can't find them in a brick and mortar store to check them out.

• Upvote 1

I have been blowing on and off grips for a few years now.  Before that I used tape and solvent.  Not difficult but time consuming and messy.  Removing the old tape was the worst part.

I recently blew on some Lamkin Grips with reminder.  A little harder to blow on then Pure grips but still good.  I got with my fitter and they say they blow on all kinds of grips all the time.

• Upvote 1

I've read many good reviews on Pure Grips and finally had my Ping i200's done with them. I really liked the feel when I tried them at the store (PGA Superstore) and I love them now. They are tacky and have a great feel to them. Got them in red too!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

My 13 Pure DTX grips came in today.  It was the $70 for 13 from Amazon, did not include the installation gun.  Now I know.  I still haven't gotten a compressor, even though I was at Lowe's today.  Plus I need to dig up my grip removal tool.  Fortunately I have almost two weeks before the club championship. 

• Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing!