IGNORED

Worst Outing EVER!

wakefield724
Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:47 PM

So i picked up golf 4 months ago and became addicted. I am very satisified with my progress, I am driving 285 consistently with a slight fade, doing well with irons and putting, struggling with hitting fairway and hybrid off the ground and i am bettering pitching but I am learning. I have been an athlete my entire life and this is my favorite sport. I am proud to say I am shooting 100 consistently now.

This weekend really got to me. Hit me hard. I joined an outing. I was so excited. I practiced for 3 weeks over an hour a day, dieted like I do for my boxing matches, and came ready to play. I had an okay team, not great but respectable. We did such a great job today, we scored a -9 and won the outing. Here is where things went south.

The tournament director was playing in the outing and was mad that we beat his team, Last minute, AFTER the tournament was over he decided to change the prizes and that no teams will get prizes. He only paid out for 3 longest drives and 3 longest putts which 2 of the 6 were him. No recognition, to acknoledgment on us winning. 

I LOVE golf. Finally I can play a sport that I can constantly improve on and not get my face beat in. Today is really hitting me hard though. I feel all my hard work and all my effort went down the drain and was for nothing. 

I'm a little confused by a couple things. You said you can drive 285 yards consistently, you do well with irons and putting, but you only shoot 100 consistently? That doesnt quite add up. You should be shooting much lower than that with a 285 yd consistent drive, good irons and putting.

I dont understand why you feel that your hard work and effort went down the drain? You have only been playing golf for 4 months, so its not like you had been training for years and this was going to be your one shot at glory and $50,000. Does it really matter that he didnt acknowledge that your team won? You know your team one, that should be validation enough that your game is improving and that you are trending in the right direction. Just dont sign up for that outing next year, or any other outings that guy runs/directs, problem solved. 

Note that I am not saying what the director did was fair or right, but you shouldnt spend anytime beating yourself up over it. Its not worth it.

• Upvote 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A few observations:

• You seem like you're probably a really competitive dude.  Nothing wrong with that.  But group scrambles aren't always conducive to that personality type getting satisfaction.  Handicaps are typically poorly reported/used; the director typically cares less about the validity of the competition and more about the success (fundraising, fun, etc.); the list goes on....  I think you'll probably find it best to temper expectations for those events to being fun & meeting folks.  Then, get into leagues, shootouts, and more formal type competitions to scratch that competitive itch.
  • Although..."285 consistently with a slight fade" (btw you may catch some narrowed e-glances at that) lends itself well to scrambles, especially with a 25+ index, as you can do the bashing and let the A & B players do there thing to get you close for birdies.
  • Did the director give any explanation for doing that?!  Total d*ck move on his part, unless he suspected some major funny-business, and properly communicated that to all.
  • If I'm an event director, I'm probably gonna not screw over a former boxer :-P.  An introduction with your best "firm" handshake and a mention at your former sport may've encouraged him towards different behavior!
  • Welcome to golf and TST.
Edited by BamaWade
  • Upvote 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

THANKs for the feedback guys. Reason for my high handicap is second shots mostly. I feel confident driving but many times I hit the top of the ball or something like that. I get anxiety hitting off the ground to be honest. I'm getting lessons next week though. 

The director didn't give a clear reasoning. He was hammered. Actually passed out before the turn and slept in the bed of a pickup until the tournament was over. I have pics to prove this lol. I know I had a great time at the outing. Just every sport I ever played I always got a award or something when I won. Disappointed I didn't when I put in the effort and tried my hardest. 

Most of these sort of events generally have an established prize fund. When you pay part of what you are paying into is that prize fund, along with the greens and cart fees, food, etc. It may not be worth the hassle, but you could ask for that part of your entry fee back.

Like the others have said, not all events are created alike. If you are looking for competition, ask the more experienced golfers or club pros what the best events are for a golfer of your level. Supposing you don't go the private club route, you may want to check your area public courses and find an Association to join. For instance, my local course's association hosts 12 or so events a year. The guys that run it may enjoy a beer or two, but they always pay out. 

Don't let someone else's tom foolery get you down.  The beauty of golf is that you can still maintain that competitive nature within yourself.  That allows you to be satisfied by events such as breaking 100 or 90 or whatever your achievement may be regardless of who you're playing with.  I can still be satisfied by a solid round (by my standards) even though my friend (who's around high single digits handicap) smokes me.  We even help each other out with lines/targets/etc because we're really competing against ourselves, not each other.

As others have mentioned look around for some local leagues for the competitive environment and when playing recreational rounds, don't worry about others.  You can't control the joker who cards a "par" even though he counted his lip-out as a made putt, but you can keep track of your progress and celebrate achievements.  Good call on taking lessons, best of luck!

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

I agree with those above who advise not to let one outing get you down. As with most things in life, you'll run into people who do things in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense. Who knows this guy's motives (like you mentioned- he was probably just trashed!), but that guy shouldn't impact your own personal enjoyment moving forward. Sure, be pissed now about how he handled it, but move on, keep improving, and trust that you won't run into morons like that every outing.

Oh- and post more! You've been a member a while, and we love to hear from passionate golfers. Thanks for this writeup.

Edited by RandallT
minor tweaks- added note to post more

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

3 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I agree with those above who advise not to let one outing get you down. As with most things in life, you'll run into people who do things in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense. Who knows this guy's motives (like you mentioned- he was probably just trashed!), but that guy shouldn't impact your own personal enjoyment moving forward. Sure, be pissed now about how he handled it, but move on, keep improving, and trust that you won't run into morons like that every outing.

Oh- and post more! You've been a member a while, and we love to here from passionate golfers. Thanks for this writeup.

Thanks that's truly great advice. Doing everything I can to let local people know to avoid this guy. Playing another in 2 weeks. 

12 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

Thanks that's truly great advice. Doing everything I can to let local people know to avoid this guy. Playing another in 2 weeks. 

There are some threads on scramble format, and my impression is that many competitive people actively dislike the format. Cheating is rampant, and they can be drunkfests (nothing wrong with that, if you're willing to go along with all the side effects of that, like happened to you). You might want to browse these threads to get your sense of what type of players enjoy scrambles, and which types of players do not. It might help you find the sort of competitive golf that suits you:

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

15 minutes ago, RandallT said:

There are some threads on scramble format, and my impression is that many competitive people actively dislike the format. Cheating is rampant, and they can be drunkfests (nothing wrong with that, if you're willing to go along with all the side effects of that, like happened to you). You might want to browse these threads to get your sense of what type of players enjoy scrambles, and which types of players do not. It might help you find the sort of competitive golf that suits you:

Lol! That's a lot of hate directed at scrambles. 

BTW @wakefield724, I hope that won't turn you off from the game, what that "director" did was totally out of line. 

Yeah, the "director" was a total douche! I've played in a lot of scrambles and the majority of them are on the up and up. But, as someone mentioned, attitudes can be different from team to team. For most a scramble is a social event. For some it's a money making opportunity!

I'm sure the same thing goes on in your neck of the woods that goes on in mine. Four really good golfers form a "super team" (where have we heard that before?), and set out to pocket as much money over the Summer that they can.

They're not cheating, but this is what you can be up against. Heck a couple years ago there was a super team laying waste to scramble all over the area. Turns out two of the members were signed up to go to Q School!

Super teams to win scrambles!!! Wow I didn't realize people get that serious about it. I attached a photo of the tournament director below during the outing. The photo was taken by 11am. He didn't wake up til 4pm and was still hammered. 

IMG_4299.PNG

13 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

Super teams to win scrambles!!! Wow I didn't realize people get that serious about it. I attached a photo of the tournament director below during the outing. The photo was taken by 11am. He didn't wake up til 4pm and was still hammered. 

IMG_4299.PNG

"TOO"...

50 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Well. There's your answer. 

Obviously the TD used the prize fund money for a few fifths of the hard stuff. The pose strikes me vaguely tequila-ish.

21 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

The tournament director was playing in the outing and was mad that we beat his team, Last minute, AFTER the tournament was over he decided to change the prizes and that no teams will get prizes. He only paid out for 3 longest drives and 3 longest putts which 2 of the 6 were him. No recognition, to acknoledgment on us winning. 

Yea, that is total BS. That is a really fast way to have your outing not continue the next year when no one comes back.

Golf scrambles are definitely eyed by certain golfers as way to make some cash or win some good prizes.

A really good format is a shamble. Everyone hits a drive, picks the best drive, then plays in from there. Then the lowest score on the hole is taken. This will bring the super teams back to the field a bit. The good players still have a great chance of scoring well, but you will not have 4 putts at birdie from inside 10 FT very often.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I played in a Scramble once and won closest to the pin... a checkers set from Wal-Mart and a pack of Pinochle cards.  Let's just say I was disappointed. 

A couple of years ago I was playing in a Scramble with my wife and another couple who are semi-nongolfers.  It was for a local Autism charity and my wife is on the board.  There was every conceivable game involved including:  mulligan's, kick one, throw one, launch a ball from a sling shot... ect.  I'm shepherding this group around and trying to "win" and my wife says, "you're taking this way too seriously and being kind of a dick".  So I took off my shorts and played 3 holes in my Puma Boxer Briefs (pulled way up Herkle style) and my shirt tucked in.  First, it readjusted my attitude and made me a lot more relaxed.  Second, It was very comfortable and I really enjoyed the air flow.  In the end, we ended up "winning" $150... which was promptly donated back to the charity.   

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Note: This thread is 2429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!