IGNORED

Mizuno MP 18 Irons

Note: This thread is 2365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.golf.com/equipment/2017/08/07/first-look-mizunos-new-mp-18-line-irons

First, these irons look fantastic. It looks like Mizuno is getting back to their roots with these irons.

The MP-18 MB has much less offset then it's predecessor the MP-5 clubs. A 16% to 30% reduction across the set. The rest of the specs are identical with the MP-5. The headsize is suppose to be reduced significantly compared to the MP-5 and have a much thinner top line.

The MP-18 SC (split cavity) looks to be closer to the MP-4. It has the look of a Muscle Back, but with a small cavity behind the clubface. It has a slightly larger clubface compared to the MP-18 MB. The specs are identical to the MP-18 MB in terms of loft, offset, etc...

The MP-18 MMC (Multi-Material Construction) looks to be more inline with the MP-15 (few generations ago). They take a piece of Titanium and insert it into the iron during the forging process. So no glue, epoxy, or polymer is used to bind the two together. The longer middle irons add tungsten to the toe to increase MOI. The offset is about 27% bigger than the other MP-18 irons.

From another website, the MP-18 irons are on the smaller side for a player's iron. Even their MP-18 MMC is smaller in blade length compared to the Ping S55, Titleist 716 CB and AP2, and the Callaway Apex Pro.

In addition to those three iron sets, Mizuno is also releasing the MP-18 MMC FLI-HI. This is their replacement for the MP-H5. This is a long iron replacement for those who want a more forgiving long iron. Mizuno also designed this iron for a .355 diameter shaft tip. This allows the golfer to use the same shaft type as the rest of the irons. Mizuno compared the MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 4-iron with the MP-18 SC 4-rion. The MMC FLI HI produced 2 MPH  more ball speed, nearly identical launch angle, and 100 RPM less spin. Which produced about 5 yards more carry. This could be an interesting club for those who do not like hybrids, but still struggle with getting a good gap with their long irons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Damn sweet looking irons. If I had the game I would play the 18s, but the 18SC is probably better suited for me and still looks fantastic.

Honestly if I were to buy a new set of irons I'd probably still go for the musclebacks.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, billchao said:

Damn sweet looking irons. If I had the game I would play the 18s, but the 18SC is probably better suited for me and still looks fantastic.

Honestly if I were to buy a new set of irons I'd probably still go for the musclebacks.

The only difference is distance loss on mishits. Really you can find a good compromise between something like the MP-18, a full muscleback iron, and something like the Ping I-series.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Those are some great looking clubs.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I'll be gaming a custom fit set of those blades next year. Those are the sexiest clubs I have ever seen. I love my Vapor Fly Pro's (Nike finally made EXCELLENT irons, then shut down), and I had a great season with them, but i'm ready to go back to blades, and those things are like sex. 

Edited by Apoc81

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

The only difference is distance loss on mishits. Really you can find a good compromise between something like the MP-18, a full muscleback iron, and something like the Ping I-series.

Well these are meant to be mixed and matched so it would be reasonable for me to play the musclebacks in 8-PW, the SC in 5-7, and maybe the Fli-Hi 3-4.

Honestly I'm just spitballing here because the chances of me buying these is extremely low, but I'm a big fan of the seamless transition for a combination set and these are fantastic looking.

It's been a long time since I played Mizuno irons and I'd love to have another set one day (I occasionally check out eBay in case something catches my eye).

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I currently have MP-4's and absolutely love them.  Hoping to get my hands on a set of the MP-18 MB's...they look freaking beautiful.

In the past 20 years I've only ever deviated from Mizuno's for a set of Titleist MB's for about 3-4 years.  I can't say enough good things about Mizuno's irons.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

21 hours ago, billchao said:

Well these are meant to be mixed and matched so it would be reasonable for me to play the musclebacks in 8-PW, the SC in 5-7, and maybe the Fli-Hi 3-4.

Honestly I'm just spitballing here because the chances of me buying these is extremely low, but I'm a big fan of the seamless transition for a combination set and these are fantastic looking.

It's been a long time since I played Mizuno irons and I'd love to have another set one day (I occasionally check out eBay in case something catches my eye).

Seems like you'd have to be fitted for every club, or at least each club where you transition between styles to make sure your gaps are all in tact.

I'm still not in the market for new clubs but man those blades are pretty. :)

16 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Seems like you'd have to be fitted for every club, or at least each club where you transition between styles to make sure your gaps are all in tact.

Ideally you would get a full bag fitting, but most people won't do that (myself included).

Bill

My Swing Thread

On 8/9/2017 at 1:22 PM, billchao said:

Ideally you would get a full bag fitting, but most people won't do that (myself included).

And be a better golfer for it. 

I played hockey all my life, so I have a lot of tall friends (and im 6'4"), and so many of them play off the rack clubs (especially irons), it puzzles me. I can't imagine being forced to play standard length, especially when most companies will fit you free when you buy (provided you know a good clubfitter)

38 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

I played hockey all my life, so I have a lot of tall friends (and im 6'4"), and so many of them play off the rack clubs (especially irons), it puzzles me. I can't imagine being forced to play standard length, especially when most companies will fit you free when you buy (provided you know a good clubfitter)

Not saying this is always the case, but just being tall doesn't necessarily mean you need longer clubs. 

And those 18s? Pshaw!! Who wants to play with shovels like those?? :-P

Colin P.

59 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

The standard wrist to floor measurement, fitting shaft flex to your swing speed, and adjusting lie by hitting off a lie board "fitting" that you typically get when you buy clubs isn't really the type of fitting I'm talking about, but don't want to stray too far OT.

I have no place near me where I can even demo these anymore. No sweet blades for me :~(

Bill

My Swing Thread

Very nice. I tried out the jpx 900s and thought they were really nice. The M18 MB's are yummy.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 1 month later...

I had a fitting session for 1,5 hour, with the Mizuno truck and that swing DNA system.

I had to hit . a few shots (3x3) with the dna. Then started first with the JPX 900. KBS shaft and Nippon modus. Track man behind me. Than we swithed to the MP- 18MB. I loved the compact head. The KBS (brushed shaft) i liked. The project X was no good for me. The numbers wth the Nippon were top notch. Unfortunately, didn't get the numbers.emailed to me. Nice ballfllight. I tried to hit a bad shot with the MB, but to my surprise, I hit it flush. Real sotf feeling iron. Could be two things. It was my day at that time of the year where everything clicked (ahum), or those irons are really good...  I would have no hesitation to put a PW-I5 in the bag. I found them really easy to hit! I always felt that blades are way to much for me, a few steps out of my league. When I read reviews of the MP18 blades, they are meant for HCP 5 or lower. I play 12.5 HCP

I really wonder if that is true.

The I hit shots with the SC. Lovely iron, same result with respect to the shaft. Nippon would be it. So much better. The sales rep would have no hesitation to let me play with a full set of blades, but recommended I5-I7 MP 18SC, I8-PW for the blades. Nippon Modus. I ordered 2 wedges, T7. What a wedge, I was amazed with the control and spin I generated. I immediately felt comfortable over the ball. Couldn't hit a bad shot. Of course, ths was on the DR and not over 18 holes... 

He recommended standerd length and lie. Which is different from my current set, 0,5 longer, 1 up. My innitial question would be if that might be correct. But would it make it such a difference? Another question, can TM give some info about a recommended shaft length? Or do you measure that differently?

Hit a few shots with the Mizuno driver, don;t know the shaft, it was sitff. I got tired a bit. I had decent avarge numbers, carry 215 - 220 yards, total distance 235 - 240. Sales rep told me that I easily could add up 10% extra because we hit with an average type of driving range ball. So that would mean seomthing around the 255 yards in total. Nice for me, loved the sound of the driver, very pleasant at set up, hit the same ball flight. I would love to have a bit more distance, but I think if I hit the fairways with a distance of 240-250, I would be more than enough in a position to score!  

40 minutes ago, taxgolf said:

He recommended standerd length and lie. Which is different from my current set, 0,5 longer, 1 up. My innitial question would be if that might be correct.

It can be. There's no industry standard for length and lie, so you can be stock by one company's standards and flat by another's.

43 minutes ago, taxgolf said:

But would it make it such a difference?

A huge difference? Probably not.

43 minutes ago, taxgolf said:

Another question, can TM give some info about a recommended shaft length? Or do you measure that differently?

I don't believe TrackMan gives clubfitting recommendations. I think that's up to the discretion of the person fitting you.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I had a fitting at the UK Mizuno fitting center way back in the day when I picked up my MP33s.  Very good experience.  The best part?  I was standard loft and standard lie.  Cheapest outcome possible.

The MP18s look gorgeous.  I'd love to see them in real life to see how thick the top line is, but they look amazing.

5 hours ago, billchao said:

It can be. There's no industry standard for length and lie, so you can be stock by one company's standards and flat by another's.

@taxgolf Just an example to @billchao's point... Titleist and Mizuno are typically 1 degree different on the lie

Note: This thread is 2365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!