IGNORED

What a rough day :(

wakefield724
Note: This thread is 2449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This happens to me all the time.  I usually don't bother to keep score anymore.  I pay attention on a per-hole basis but not writing down a number or caring about a final score means I'm more likely to shake off a bad hole and play better for the rest of the round.  And, if I don't play better for the rest of the round, who cares?  I'm not keeping score and it's a beautiful day and course and I'm not going to let something as silly as golf ruin my free time!  :-P

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

If there's anyone who does not get get the first tee jitters I'd like to know the secret.

What a relief when that first tee shot plays nice. It sets the tone for the round IMO. 

My trick is to think of the worst first tee jitters I ever had (playing a really nice course for the first time where a friend was a member, really keen not to muck it up). He was a 'proper' golfer in my head, whereas I'd only been playing for a year since giving it up at the age of 18. He'd found the middle of the fairway on a tight dogleg. There was one bloke on the putting green with a dog and I was scared stiff. I managed a really nice 3 wood that found the right hand side of the fairway and as we walked down the fairway I just looked back and chuckled - the old bloke had never looked up and nobody would have known if I'd driven the ball halfway down to China. 

Since then, I haven't really had an issue with it - my first competition round worried me slightly, but it's been fine otherwise.

Oh, the other tip is to make sure that you've left your last 5 balls on the range practising that first tee shot - leave once you've hit a good one, even if it means leaving 4 balls behind.

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

My first tee shot in my first league..about 12 years ago.

Topped tee shot went about 20 yards..next shot topped again and went about 2 feet.  next shot got into the air but huge slice and into the trees.  Got an 8 on the short straight par 4.

We tend to think that everyone watching will be snickering and talking about "that horrible shot so-and-so hit today" when in reality no one else really cares what we shoot.

23 hours ago, b101 said:

leave once you've hit a good one, even if it means leaving 4 balls behind.

I like this ^^^ I'm going to start doing that. 

On 8/11/2017 at 2:35 PM, b101 said:

Oh, the other tip is to make sure that you've left your last 5 balls on the range practising that first tee shot - leave once you've hit a good one, even if it means leaving 4 balls behind.

I like the first part of that tip, but I'm too cheap to leave any balls behind. Especially when I'm paying 14 whole cents a ball. :-D

Edited by ssbn611

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

Just now, ssbn611 said:

I like the first part of that tip, but I'm too cheap to leave any balls behind. Especially when I'm paying 14 whole cents a ball. :-D

Then pop them in your bag for next time :beer:

(Spot the easy reply - you and me both!)

• Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Well I am playing those vivid yellow bridgestones, and the range balls at my course are kinda close. :-O

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

1 minute ago, ssbn611 said:

Well I am playing those vivid yellow bridgestones, and the range balls at my course are kinda close. :-O

I still have a couple of mates who play about twice a year and will hit range balls on the course... I can kind of understand it when you need 5 mulligans a round, but not sure I'd ever do it!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2017 at 11:15 PM, wakefield724 said:

So I'm playing my local course today. I shot a 98 last week same course. Today I shot a 126. Idk what happened. I couldn't drive or do anything. One time I got out my 3 wood and hit then ball 3 times and went 7 yards before hitting it right (kept hitting top of ball and going 1-2 yards). Does anyone else have days like this 

In regards to a trend or indicator of things to come, I look at those WTF blowup rounds the same as I do the rounds where every shot seems golden. Unless either repeat several times (which rarely happens), they are just abrupt peaks or valleys in an otherwise normal range of scores.

Don't get me wrong, the difference in how I feel after each is huge. But in terms of what it means for the next round, not so much.

Jon

One week on, how have things gone @wakefield724?

On 8/11/2017 at 6:46 AM, scotth said:

Everybody has rough days on the course.

+1

On 8/11/2017 at 2:35 PM, b101 said:

Finish with success.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 8/12/2017 at 10:11 PM, b101 said:

I still have a couple of mates who play about twice a year and will hit range balls on the course... I can kind of understand it when you need 5 mulligans a round, but not sure I'd ever do it!

Well if you want to get kicked off the course that's a good way to do it...

I mean you can get cheap used balls for like 10c a ball. Just buy a couple hundred and keep them for holes where a lost ball is likely, if they are so scared of that.  

The golf brain periodically goes on hiatus.  We are left, in the interim, with a disjointed amalgam of leftover impulses.  It is never pretty, or efficacious, but it is what it is.  There is no specific cure; but one does well to remember that, prior to encountering the iceberg, the band was playing and everybody was having a good time.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

13 hours ago, Piz said:

The golf brain periodically goes on hiatus.  We are left, in the interim, with a disjointed amalgam of leftover impulses.  It is never pretty, or efficacious, but it is what it is.  There is no specific cure; but one does well to remember that, prior to encountering the iceberg, the band was playing and everybody was having a good time.

Translation: **** happens

Note: This thread is 2449 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!