IGNORED

What a rough day :(

wakefield724
Note: This thread is 2439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm playing my local course today. I shot a 98 last week same course. Today I shot a 126. Idk what happened. I couldn't drive or do anything. One time I got out my 3 wood and hit then ball 3 times and went 7 yards before hitting it right (kept hitting top of ball and going 1-2 yards). Does anyone else have days like this 

My golf clubs are somewhere in the American Airlines network and I dont know where that is. Also having a rough day(s)

But I did get to go to the PGA championship practice round for $20 today so that is cool. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

@wakefield724, you're a new golfer. You're gonna have a lot of days like that for now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

My golf clubs are somewhere in the American Airlines network and I dont know where that is. Also having a rough day(s)

But I did get to go to the PGA championship practice round for $20 today so that is cool. 

Wow you got to watch first hand the best golfers in the world practice for only $20. I envy you sir! Can't wait for them to play in oakmont Pennsylvania again. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

So I'm playing my local course today. I shot a 98 last week same course. Today I shot a 126. Idk what happened. I couldn't drive or do anything. One time I got out my 3 wood and hit then ball 3 times and went 7 yards before hitting it right (kept hitting top of ball and going 1-2 yards). Does anyone else have days like this 

A couple of years ago now, as a 6 hcp, I topped a 3-wood so badly that it went 5 yards backwards.  :8)

It's golf.  Enjoy the madness!   :-) 

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Shoot I can remember when I first started and just going around hitting worm burner after worm burner after chunk etc.

Those rare ones that got into the air were special moments.

Once I toe shanked a driver off the tee marker and it popped over the tree line and landed on the green on the opposite hole.  Man that was embarrassing!  People were putting as I was yelling fore!

My initial impression was wow this is a strange tool and jeeminy Christmas you have to strike so perfect for success!  Really I feel the same now,  but it seems much easier to do.

Edited by Jack Watson

22 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Once I toe shanked a driver off the tee marker and it popped over the tree line and landed on the green on the opposite hole.  Man that was embarrassing!  People were putting as I was yelling fore!

LoL... Too funny.

I'll share too. When you're just starting out, there's a lot to learn. Including etiquette. When I was first starting out, my boss at the time invited me out to play. On the first tee, bossman went first. As he went through his routine, I stayed off to the side "loosening up," being generally oblivious to everything around me and worrying that I would embarrass myself right there on the very first tee. I then proceeded to chunk a practice swing, spraying my boss with grass and mud- in the middle of his stroke at the ball. His resulting shot was, let's say, sub-optimal. 

That cost me a couple beers. I have since committed myself to being less of a hazard on the course. 

Enjoy the process, wakefield. There's a lot of fun ahead!

23 hours ago, David in FL said:

A couple of years ago now, as a 6 hcp, I topped a 3-wood so badly that it went 5 yards backwards.  :8)

It's golf.  Enjoy the madness!   :-) 

I've seen Jeff Sluman top the ball.  Twice.  Both were after his PGA Championship win, so this wasn't like I dug up footage of him as an eight year old or something. 

OP, enjoy the madness.  These things happen.  You'll get better and they'll happen less often.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

As others have said, it's golf and it happens.  The great thing is when you catch one just right and it soars down the fairway.  It will happen more and more ofter.

Be patient and take lessons and practice.  It took me a long time at the beginning to see improvement because I would play and not practice or take lessons.

Within the first few months of taking up golf, had more shots with backwards results from hitting trees and ducking as the ball came back at me.  The ultimate embarrassment, having to walk back to ball to hit from further away.

Also look at it this way.  Did you see Phil Mickelson's opening round yesterday at the PGA?  Everybody has rough days on the course.

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

My first golf league match this year: first hole goes over a road (not super busy, and you can look both directions to see if any cars are coming) about 25 yards in front of the tee. I teed up my ball a little too low (which I could tell when I lined my 3-wood up to it, but I neglected to adjust the tee). Topped the ball so bad that it barely trickled into the road. I could watch as it basically slow motion rolled down the gradual slope of the street. Not fun.

Another one: in high school we used to play the Norton (MA) High School team at TPC Boston, which was their home course. My second time playing there, first hole, everyone watching, I chunked my tee shot with a hybrid so bad that it barely (as in maybe by 2 yards) made it off the tee box. Second shot from the deep rough between tee boxes also went about five yards. Third shot (with the same hybrid as the first two shots) I finally managed to hit one down the fairway.

Sometimes golf just kicks you in the ass.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Completely remember those days (we all still have crap ones now, but I can limit the damage somewhat!). It'll happen, you'll go back out tomorrow and it'll all be ok again. 

I actually ended up selling a set of irons after one of those crap days. It was the right decision, but that's how annoyed I got! Post back after your next round - I bet you it goes much better :-)

Edit: Oh, and as a rule of thumb, if you're having a poor day and hitting awful shots, leave the 3 wood alone - it's a hard enough club to hit anyway!

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I seem to recall in my first year playing golf carding a cool 135 on this course a buddy insisted on playing. He had a habit of 1) offering bad advice and 2) forcing me to play courses that neither one of us should have ever played at that point.

Mostly I remember pain and embarrassment, but the moment that stands out came on the No. 17 tee. It's a relatively benign par 4 with a road that comes down the right side of the hole. I almost completely swung underneath the ball, popped up a ball headed 2 o'clock. Then I saw the car. Time stood still as the ball descended and the car drew closer. ... Then whack. ... 

Thank god the car got past the ball just in the nick of time. Missed it by about 2 feet.  

48 minutes ago, jamo said:

My first golf league match this year: first hole goes over a road (not super busy, and you can look both directions to see if any cars are coming) about 25 yards in front of the tee. I teed up my ball a little too low (which I could tell when I lined my 3-wood up to it, but I neglected to adjust the tee). Topped the ball so bad that it barely trickled into the road. I could watch as it basically slow motion rolled down the gradual slope of the street. Not fun.

Another one: in high school we used to play the Norton (MA) High School team at TPC Boston, which was their home course. My second time playing there, first hole, everyone watching, I chunked my tee shot with a hybrid so bad that it barely (as in maybe by 2 yards) made it off the tee box. Second shot from the deep rough between tee boxes also went about five yards. Third shot (with the same hybrid as the first two shots) I finally managed to hit one down the fairway.

Sometimes golf just kicks you in the ass.

I have yet to develop any kind of resilience to mounting combo of embarrassment, anger, befuddlement  and sheer helplessness when this happens. I doubt too many can if you have even an iota of pride in your game. It's hard to find your sense of humor. 

On 8/9/2017 at 11:15 PM, wakefield724 said:

Sorry, no pearls of wisdom from me except I can speak for every golfer I know and say no one has been spared of these kind of days. 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

I have yet to develop any kind of resilience to mounting combo of embarrassment, anger, befuddlement  and sheer helplessness when this happens. I doubt too many can if you have even an iota of pride in your game. It's hard to find your sense of humor. 

Being very hard on myself about golf is something I struggle with. It's gotten a little bit better the last few years because I haven't played as much, so I'm just not as good. My expectations aren't as high. If I were to pour a bunch of time into it like I used to I'm sure I would be harder on myself again.

I also get extremely nervous on the first tee, so that doesn't help either. Later in rounds I'm fine, even if there's pressure, but the first tee just kills me for some reason.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Been there, felt that... The higher your handicap is, the more up and down your scores will be. A new player can have great rounds by his or her standards and rounds where you wonder if they're using left-handed clubs as a right-hander. Scratch players also has poor rounds but rarely atrocious.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

3 hours ago, jamo said:

Being very hard on myself about golf is something I struggle with. It's gotten a little bit better the last few years because I haven't played as much, so I'm just not as good. My expectations aren't as high. If I were to pour a bunch of time into it like I used to I'm sure I would be harder on myself again.

I also get extremely nervous on the first tee, so that doesn't help either. Later in rounds I'm fine, even if there's pressure, but the first tee just kills me for some reason.

No stranger to first tee jitters myself. That's just a tough animal especially for your level of game when you can afford only one or two shots differential for the WHOLE round and you end up 'spending' them in the first 2 mins. 

In my experience, regardless of the heartbreak high expectations is a good thing as long it does not break your soul for good and you just quit. Keep coming back for more punishment and it's all good. You DO have the game to justify so it's not like honestly talk yourself out of them anyway..:-)        

Vishal S.

If there's anyone who does not get get the first tee jitters I'd like to know the secret.

What a relief when that first tee shot plays nice. It sets the tone for the round IMO. 

Note: This thread is 2439 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!