IGNORED

Anyone Use a Lightning Detector?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hurricane season will soon be upon us, and today's weather got me thinking about the the device. Has anyone used something like this? Is it effective?

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 11.29.22 AM.png

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just use a one iron. I got that tip from Lee Trevino.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Thunder = Lightening.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Someone once said that "even God can't hit 2 iron". That might be true , but old "Ma Nature" sure can. Pretty sure she took over the thunder and lightening stuff. I think it was on a Thursday, but not sure. 

Me, I use the weather app on my cell phone that shows the storm fronts. That, or I just eye ball storms off in the distance. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 minutes ago, Patch said:

Me, I use the weather app on my cell phone that shows the storm fronts. That, or I just eye ball storms off in the distance. 

I do the same.  Weatherbug has a lightning tracker that seems pretty good

• Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

It looks like a gadget that will have dead batteries when you are read to use it, if you know what I mean. Maybe kinda fun but how does it detect the strikes?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Many of the courses in SE Michigan have lightning detectors.  If there is a strike within X miles, the sirens go off and everyone heads in.  The "All Clear" is automated and won't sound until about 15 minutes after the last strike was detected.  It keeps the staff from prematurely deciding everything looks okay.  If I am playing on a day when storms might be in the vicinity, I typically ask the clubhouse staff whether they have a detector.  If not, I listen and watch the skies.  

The gadget is interesting but I already have trouble just juggling the GPS and making sure its batteries are charged. :facepalm

Brian Kuehn

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I do the same.  Weatherbug has a lightning tracker that seems pretty good

I was just looking at this app. Will give it a try.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

If I get hit by lightning; I'd just as soon not know in advance.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

5 hours ago, Patch said:

Someone once said that "even God can't hit 2 iron". That might be true , but old "Ma Nature" sure can. Pretty sure she took over the thunder and lightening stuff. I think it was on a Thursday, but not sure. 

I thoug the quote was that ev en god can't hit a 1-iron

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

46 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

That was Trevino. The story goes that two weeks after that, he actually was struck by lightening,.not once, but twice.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

8 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Many of the courses in SE Michigan have lightning detectors.  If there is a strike within X miles, the sirens go off and everyone heads in.  The "All Clear" is automated and won't sound until about 15 minutes after the last strike was detected.  It keeps the staff from prematurely deciding everything looks okay.  If I am playing on a day when storms might be in the vicinity, I typically ask the clubhouse staff whether they have a detector.  If not, I listen and watch the skies.  

The gadget is interesting but I already have trouble just juggling the GPS and making sure its batteries are charged. :facepalm

That's interesting. In Colorado, almost no courses have warning sirens, because apparently they'd be legally responsible for the safety of everybody on the course. Without the warning sirens, you're at your own risk out there. We get a ton of thunderstorms here, though, so maybe it's different for Michigan. It can be a daily thing to dodge thunderstorms in the afternoon here.

A friend has the Weatherbug app, and it has a proximity alert for lightning. You can do a google search for lightning detector and there's a couple of websites that do it. I can't really vouch for their accuracy though.

The safest rule of thumb, though, is to get inside if you hear thunder. If you can hear thunder, lightning is close enough that it could hit you.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

6 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Brad Parks of the Washington Post said "2 iron". He probably never saw a 1 iron.......

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

10 hours ago, chilepepper said:

I used to use a small transistor pocket radio tuned to an unused am freq. boy that dates me! Now I use a weather radar app

What, not a crystal radio? ( I actually made one of those things in the boy scouts).

8 hours ago, Patch said:

Brad Parks of the Washington Post said "2 iron". He probably never saw a 1 iron.......

I carried a 1 iron up until about 3 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

"James"

29 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

What, not a crystal radio? ( I actually made one of those things in the boy scouts).

I carried a 1 iron up until about 3 years ago.

I had a Mizuno Driving Iron I used quite a bit back in the day. That's as close to an actual 1 iron as I ever played. (It may have been a 1 iron) It was a great club for getting out of unrepaired fairway divots, and other bad situations. Places where you just wanted to get the ball out of trouble. 

These days I still practice with a 2 iron that was built for me way back when. 

In My Bag:

19 minutes ago, Patch said:

I had a Mizuno Driving Iron I used quite a bit back in the day. That's as close to an actual 1 iron as I ever played. (It may have been a 1 iron) It was a great club for getting out of unrepaired fairway divots, and other bad situations. Places where you just wanted to get the ball out of trouble. 

These days I still practice with a 2 iron that was built for me way back when. 

My first set of clubs was Bobby Jones made by Spalding. 1 through SW. I didn't know that I was not supposed to be able to hit them, so I did anyway.  The woods (laminated) came with 1,.2,3,4 swing weight was something like E2, grips were leather and slick. The one iron I referred to above I believe was also a Hogan Edge. I sold it on ebay/ 

Sorry, a bit OT

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Note: This thread is 2434 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!