IGNORED

Strangest person you've played with

Seals
Note: This thread is 2405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had a guy join me on first tee and he had ridiculous expectations. He was probably a 7-10ish handicap, but expected shots like he was a pro. On par 5 4th he hit a second shot from about 220 yard shot to the front of green. I said nice shot, and he said it wasn't his best and he expected it closer. I am a lower handicap than him and would be delighted with that shot. It really got worse from there. 18 holes of complaining about wedges inside 25 feet or not making bunker shots. He shot a 88. I don't know what he expected. 

Share.

Edited by Seals

I thought this thread was on the lines of who’s the “weirdest”? Clearly not, I see players like this all the time. In fact, most people I play with and they blame their mental games for bad scores. . . :whistle:

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Seals said:

Had a guy join me on first tee and he had ridiculous expectations. He was probably a 7-10ish handicap, but expected shots like he was a pro. On par 5 4th he hit a second shot from about 220 yard shot to the front of green. I said nice shot, and he said it wasn't his best and he expected it closer. I am a lower handicap than him and would be delighted with that shot. It really got worse from there. 18 holes of complaining about wedges inside 25 feet or not making bunker shots. He shot a 88. I don't know what he expected. 

Share.

Golfers should check out the PGA Tour stats on various things, especially proximity to the hole from various yardages, it's really humbling. You don't have to hit it 15 feet from the hole to score well, not even close. 

Edited by shortstop20

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

1 hour ago, Seals said:

He shot a 88. I don't know what he expected

As a (guessed) 7 to 10 handicapper, I am going to say around 80. So yes, 88 is a "bad" result, that probably is not going to figure in his top 10 at the next revision, unless this was a pretty difficult course or set of tees, with a high rating...

But on your point about that particular second shot on the par 5, I totally agree with you. Some people are way too harsh on themselves and are self-defeating in the process, a "mental" failure of sorts if you will... in reference to the other thread... ;-)

Edited by sjduffers
  • Like 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

15 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

As a (guessed) 7 to 10 handicapper, I am going to say around 80. So yes, 88 is a "bad" result, that probably is not going to figure in his top 10 at the next revision, unless this was a pretty difficult course or set of tees, with a high rating...

80 to 88 seems reasonable?

Expecting 80 all the time would put him closer to a mid single digit on a 72/125 rated course.

15 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

But on your point about that particular second shot on the par 5, I totally agree with you. Some people are way too harsh on themselves and are self-defeating in the process, a "mental" failure of sorts if you will... in reference to the other thread... ;-)

Touché :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 hours ago, Seals said:

On par 5 4th he hit a second shot from about 220 yard shot to the front of green. I said nice shot, and he said it wasn't his best and he expected it closer. I am a lower handicap than him and would be delighted with that shot. It really got worse from there. 18 holes of complaining about wedges inside 25 feet or not making bunker shots. He shot a 88. I don't know what he expected. 

Share.

When you actually stop and think about it, your "best" can only happen one time!

As far as "strange" people I've golfed with, two immediately come to mind. One was many years ago. We joined  up and went off together. He was an elderly man who turned out to be the Grandfather of a kid I went to high school with. Kind of an old hillbilly dude who insisted on calling birdies "tweet tweets"! Well don't you know he got himself a tweet tweet on the third hole! And that's all he kept repeating the entire round! "I got myself a tweet tweet!" I wanted to brain the guy w/my sand wedge!

The other guy is current. A friend of my buddy's Son, and an overly solicitous fool! I don't care where you hit it, in the lake or a mile in the woods, he will say "Nice shot." You could lay the sod over it, and it's "Nice shot!" Hell, you could probably whiff and he'd say it! But that's not the really annoying thing. The really annoying thing is that he will keep repeating it until you acknowledge him! I want to brain this guy too!

23 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

When you actually stop and think about it, your "best" can only happen one time!

As far as "strange" people I've golfed with, two immediately come to mind. One was many years ago. We joined  up and went off together. He was an elderly man who turned out to be the Grandfather of a kid I went to high school with. Kind of an old hillbilly dude who insisted on calling birdies "tweet tweets"! Well don't you know he got himself a tweet tweet on the third hole! And that's all he kept repeating the entire round! "I got myself a tweet tweet!" I wanted to brain the guy w/my sand wedge!

The other guy is current. A friend of my buddy's Son, and an overly solicitous fool! I don't care where you hit it, in the lake or a mile in the woods, he will say "Nice shot." You could lay the sod over it, and it's "Nice shot!" Hell, you could probably whiff and he'd say it! But that's not the really annoying thing. The really annoying thing is that he will keep repeating it until you acknowledge him! I want to brain this guy too!

The "nice shot" stuff right after impact is annoying, I agree. 

I mean, maybe at least wait until the ball is up at it's apex so you can make a guess on where it will end up based on the distance and curve of the shot?

Edited by shortstop20

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

18 minutes ago, shortstop20 said:

The "nice shot" stuff right after impact is annoying, I agree. 

I mean, maybe at least wait until the ball is up at it's apex so you can make a guess on where it will end up based on the distance and curve of the shot?

I played several times with someone kind of like this. He would always say "it would have been good if..."

shank it in woods, he said it would have been good if hole was there. 

Hit putt 5 feet offline, compliments you on solid contact. 

It's like saying an air ball would have gone in if the hoop was over there. Yes, it might but that is irrelevant because it isn't over there!!

I got paired up with a couple of Asian guys.. (three some)  Where they were from I have no idea.

Tried to introduce myself at the first tee.. nothing, not a word. OK, off we go and during the course of 17 holes I tried to have some type of conversation, acknowledgement to some of their shots and such.. not a word from either of them. But, they were conversing quietly between themselves at times in who knows what language..

So, we get to the 18th hole which has high tension power lines that run across the fairway roughly about 150 yards or so out from the tee box. (course ruling is that if a ball hits one of the power lines it's a no penalty "do over") .

So, one of these guys tee off and his drive hits a power line, ricochets off the line and into a pond.

Instinctively I blurted out, "there's no penalty if you hit the power line, hit your tee shot again".

The guy responds (in English).. something like, "Really?" tees and hits another ball and we finished the round without another word. After everyone putted out on the 18th they simply walked away. 

THAT was strange.. LOL

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

This was a strange one that turned out not to be strange. One week during summer break, as a single I got paired up with the same two guys three different times, on three different courses (within 30 miles of one another).  We thought it was the most freaky coincidence ever. Til we discovered we were both just buying the cheapest hot deals on golfnow in the area (when they used to be good).

I'm probably the strangest guy that I play with...  :8)

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

15 minutes ago, CT207 said:

I got paired up with a couple of Asian guys.. (three some)  Where they were from I have no idea.

Tried to introduce myself at the first tee.. nothing, not a word. OK, off we go and during the course of 17 holes I tried to have some type of conversation, acknowledgement to some of their shots and such.. not a word from either of them. But, they were conversing quietly between themselves at times in who knows what language..

So, we get to the 18th hole which has high tension power lines that run across the fairway roughly about 150 yards or so out from the tee box. (course ruling is that if a ball hits one of the power lines it's a no penalty "do over") .

So, one of these guys tee off and his drive hits a power line, ricochets off the line and into a pond.

Instinctively I blurted out, "there's no penalty if you hit the power line, hit your tee shot again".

The guy responds (in English).. something like, "Really?" tees and hits another ball and we finished the round without another word. After everyone putted out on the 18th they simply walked away. 

THAT was strange.. LOL

i played once with a guy who I guessed was Japanese. You kind of get used to stereotypes, like the Japanese are all shorter than we are. This guy was easily 3"-4" taller than me! I was by myself and so was he. So we went off together. For whatever reason, he could hit his long irons like nobody's business. After striping another great shot toward the green, I'd say "Wow! Good shot!" When I'd hit one similar, he'd reply, "Haw! Goo shaw!"

At least he was trying to respond in kind, and I appreciated it. Even though we could barely communicate at all, we were golfers, and we understood each other!

• Like 2

Playing as a single I got in a group one time with a guy who had an unusual way of cleaning his ball.  He would stick his tongue out and run the ball down his tongue, then wipe the ball off on his pants.  Grossest thing ever.  I mean, think of all the things that get on a golf ball.  Goose shit, mud, pesticides, and who knows what?  First time I saw him do it I thought I must have seen it wrong.  But he proceeded to clean his ball that way at least a half dozen times during the round.  

I can offer up two:

A friend and I joined another 2-ball on the first tee.  Introductions were made and then it was time to play.  The first one in the pair we joined hit a decent shot.  Now it was the other guy's turn.  He stood behind the ball and started to take tiny steps back and forth while extending and pulling in his club.  He slowly shuffled in an arc until he was addressing his ball, all the while "tippy tapping" with his feet and extending and drawing in his club.  My friend and I looked at each other and then this guy's buddy.  Was this a joke? The buddy was just standing there like this was normal.  Eventually the guy paused in his "tippy tap" routine and hit a decent tee ball.  He did this on every shot, other than putting.  This entire routine took a fair amount of time and it must have been "normal" for him because his buddy never indicated that he saw anything out of the ordinary.  He played well but I had to try hard not to laugh as he went into his dance. I have never seen anything else even close to this bizarre "pre-shot routine."

The other encounter involved a gentleman from Lake Charles, LA.  He was not strange but his circumstances were certainly unique. He was in Ann Arbor undergoing rehabilitation at the University of Michigan Hospital.  He had suffered a severe stroke and had aphasia.  Physically he was in decent shape but, as he explained to me, he needed to re-learn a lot of his language skills.  As we played he would point to something, like a ball washer, and ask me what it was called.  He knew how to use it, just not the name of the item.  We played nine together and it was definitely one of the more interesting golf sessions I have had.

I could also talk about playing golf with @JonMA1 and @dennyjones, but what goes on in Lansing, stays in Lansing.  ;-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

23 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I could also talk about playing golf with @JonMA1 and @dennyjones, but what goes on in Lansing, stays in Lansing.  ;-)

I'd imagine that @dennyjones would be perfectly normal while. . .

Just kidding @JonMA1 :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Had 3 of us one time and got paired up with a single, very nice guy, but laid on his stomach on the green every time to read his putts. :hmm: Not in a Spiderman way like camilo villegas did, but flat out belly on the green laying down. I thought he tripped and fell on the first green but then he popped up and putted. Then repeated again on the 2nd green. As you would probably expect, nothing special about his putting, pretty standard, mostly 2 putts, a couple 1 putts and a couple 3 putts for his round. I think he shot in the 80s. 

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I remember one guy with a big straw hat and transition lenses was riding alongside me (I always walk) stuffing his face with a giant hamburger. He wasn't even really playing golf, just sort of hitting mulligans everywhere and not even bothering to pick up his balls if they went astray. Just a super lazy person. He kept telling me how happy he was to be divorced. He kind of sounded like/resembled Milton Waddams from Office Space. 

Note: This thread is 2405 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!