IGNORED

Pinehurst/Sandhills Trip

RoxSolid
Note: This thread is 2198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys,

New member here.  This past year I set a goal to play the top 50 courses in the US.  One trip per year.  2017 we completed Bethpage Black.  My 2018 trip will be to Pinehurst where I plan to play two of the top 50 (Pinehurst #2 and Dormie Club) as well as a Tobacco Road just for kicks.

Looking for any travel tips one might have as far as getting the best rates, places to stay, eat, etc.  I will have the woman with me, so other things to do would be awesome too.  We are going in August (i know it will be hot).  Any advice is appreciated.  Looking forward to talking golf with you guys!

Just played No. 2 about a month ago. If you are going there spend the extra money and get a caddy. Makes all the difference in the world. I stayed in the Holly Inn built in 1895 it was nice and the little bar and restaurant downstairs were good as well.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To play #2 and have a guaranteed spot, you may need to stay at the Pinehurst Resort.  You could spend one night there, play #2, and then move someplace less costly and play both Tobacco Road and Dormie.  I own a villa at Talamore Resort, and I know they can make those arrangements for you.  August can be busy with the US Kids competitions, so you'll want to start looking at booking things moderately early.  I don't remember that they play any of those courses, but its good to check in advance.  If you're staying at Pinehurst, they have a very nice spa that your wife might enjoy.  There's an area nearby that's overrun with potteries, so a wander around the Seagrove area might be interesting. https://discoverseagrove.com/  When the time gets closer, let me know, and I'll be happy to recommend bars and restaurants.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator

Dormie may not be an option. They were just bought by someone else and I think I read they're going private.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Dormie may not be an option. They were just bought by someone else and I think I read they're going private.

Interesting.  I just looked and found this in Southern Pines' only paper, the Pilot:

http://www.thepilot.com/news/dormie-club-gets-new-owner/article_56f915e8-cefe-11e7-8534-d7b53671c055.html

I knew that the Dormie Club was originally planned to be a high-end private club, but that hasn't been financially viable.  Based on the reporting in the Pilot:

However, the new management is expected to return the course to a private member-only and invitation-only facility by 2020.

At this stage the ownership group has four courses in their stable, and wants to add more to bring value to their multi-course membership.  I'll be interested to see how this works out.  My best bet right now is that Dormie will still be open for "non-members" for quite a good while, I think that's what the term "invitation only probably means.  It takes traffic to support even the most exclusive golf course.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

51 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Interesting.  I just looked and found this in Southern Pines' only paper, the Pilot:

http://www.thepilot.com/news/dormie-club-gets-new-owner/article_56f915e8-cefe-11e7-8534-d7b53671c055.html

I knew that the Dormie Club was originally planned to be a high-end private club, but that hasn't been financially viable.  Based on the reporting in the Pilot:

At this stage the ownership group has four courses in their stable, and wants to add more to bring value to their multi-course membership.  I'll be interested to see how this works out.  My best bet right now is that Dormie will still be open for "non-members" for quite a good while, I think that's what the term "invitation only probably means.  It takes traffic to support even the most exclusive golf course.

The couple of times I played there with the Golf Channel it didn't seem to be overwhelmed with other golfers.  Like you, I'm a bit skeptical that private membership will be able to sustain it. 

Bruce

Great idea and plan! Was there a couple months ago, The Carolina does have a nice spa, plus they have a breakfast and dinner package but there’s not many, if any cheap ways to get on #2. We also enjoyed many other PH courses especially #8. 

We stayed at the Holly but there was more happening at the Carolina. 

Have fun!

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Like @DaveP043 said, you are probably going to have to stay at the resort to play #2.  The first time I played there I had to do that.  The rates in the summer are pretty high, so be prepared.  It is still a great experience and place to stay.  The course should be firm and fast that time of year...just hope you don't get a thunderstorm to wash you out since that time of year they are normally popping up in the afternoon.  I'd recommend an early start time to 1) stay cool and 2) avoid those storms.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how it goes!  I'm hoping to get on the Dormie club next year...definitely want to play it before it goes private.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Was just in the area end of October. Have a bud who is member at CCNC and they have houses available to stay at. Pretty cheap too. I agree that no way Dormie goes private any time soon. They have whispered that since opening. A new owner won't change that immediately.

Tobacco Road is one of my faves. I'm a big Strantz fan. It was in fabulous shape end of October.  Played mostly at CCNC but if in area I have to play Tobacco Road. Plenty of great restaurants around area. No discounted way to play #2 that I am aware of. If you are playing as single I would believe you show up day you want to play, chat with pro and no way the sheet is full for all day. Unless putting out a grand for a night and a round is ok, I'd just show and expect to play sometime that day.   

On 12/12/2017 at 10:28 AM, RoxSolid said:

Hey Guys,

New member here.  This past year I set a goal to play the top 50 courses in the US.  One trip per year.  2017 we completed Bethpage Black.  My 2018 trip will be to Pinehurst where I plan to play two of the top 50 (Pinehurst #2 and Dormie Club) as well as a Tobacco Road just for kicks.

Looking for any travel tips one might have as far as getting the best rates, places to stay, eat, etc.  I will have the woman with me, so other things to do would be awesome too.  We are going in August (i know it will be hot).  Any advice is appreciated.  Looking forward to talking golf with you guys!

Mid Pines and Pine Needles are two of the best and reasonably priced. 

• Like 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Mid Pines and Pine Needles are two of the best and reasonably priced. 

I haven't played Pine Needles yet, but I've played Mid Pines every time I have been down there. It is a personal favorite of mine.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 months later...

Just read through this thread.  Heading to Southern Pines this weekend to play Pine Needles and Tobacco Road.  Any dinner/bar recommendations for a group of 12 for Saturday night this time of year?

Calling @DaveP043

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, tigerrag said:

Just read through this thread.  Heading to Southern Pines this weekend to play Pine Needles and Tobacco Road.  Any dinner/bar recommendations for a group of 12 for Saturday night this time of year?

In October, the Newport Cuppers had pizza for dinner at Etalia in Southern Pines.  Its one of my favorites, but maybe some of the others can let you know their impressions.  We also ate at the Hickory Tavern, a chain sports bar on 15-501, a big place that can handle a group of 12 without much trouble.  Some of my other favorites are Maxie's, a locally owned sports bar in Pinehurst, the Sly Fox, an English-style gastropub in Southern Pines, and Chef Warren's, for casual fine dining in downtown Southern Pines    You can certainly find the major big-box chains too, mostly along 15-501.  For 12 people, you really should plan to make a reservation, no matter where you decide to go.  

Dave

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Etalia in Southern Pines

Definitely a good place to eat.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

20 hours ago, tigerrag said:

I'd echo what @DaveP043 said.  The Hickory Tavern is a chain here in NC that is a great, typical bar spot.  Never been to the Sly Fox, but I've been to Dugan's Pub which is right in the middle of downtown Pinehurst.  Always sat in the basement and had a good time and good food.  Might be hard to accommodate 12 there though unless you call ahead.

I'd also give a big thumbs up to Etalia.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I agree on Etalia. That place was really good. I liked the Hickory Tavern, too.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2198 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!