IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge

iacas

Day 34

I played 18 holes today, and tried to implement some of the things I have been working on onto the course. I had some successes. I have been working on moving the ball forward in my driver stance for better launch. I have been working on swinging faster. Today, I used these techniques, and launch was better. I basically swung as hard as I could, and this was somewhat successful considering how many layers I had on.  I had a couple of unplayable drives because I was basically swinging as free as possible. I am normally a fairly straight driver, so I am not worried about this too much. I plan to get fitted later this spring, either for a shaft and setup of my current driver or possibly for a Rogue or PING G400.

I basically swung harder with everything today except around the green. My 3 wood responded very well to this on the front nine; but I was a little tired on about 15.  I hit five greens today, and despite the cool weather, was maybe half a club longer with my irons on good shots. I still have some work to do on irons, but it is coming along. In addition to the five GIR, I had four nGIR.

My putting practice has been beneficial. I made par on all five GIR. I made par on two of the four nGIR, including a sand save.

I did not keep my total score, as about 6 holes were ugly, and I used some time if I was clear of everyone to do some redos and other practice shots.

I bought a new Vokey SM6 in 60-08 that the shop had on sale as the SM7s are due out shortly. My first ever 60, and I worked with it on some chip shots after the round, as well as putting longer putts, and 3 foot around the clock drills.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/1/2018 at 9:56 AM, iacas said:

See the OP. I made it an ongoing thing. Complete 26 out of 28, and you're "on the streak."

2/3/18:

Day 309:

Putting with the 4-8-12 drill ten times this morning. Got through it all ten times. Something must be clicking right now.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

9 hours ago, Lihu said:

Power walk with wife 2 miles uphill then 2 down. Starting to outgrow our neighborhood walk. We’re discussing going up Eaton Canyon or Mount Wilson. 

25 reps. Stretching hamstrings. Working on slow movements through transition. Tai Chi slow with weight shift incorporated into movement. Also keeping the lead wrist well pronated. Full coil backswing, lead arm straight getting past parallel. I have to focus on retaining the C-spine posture.

Using a roller to work the muscles in the flutes and calves. Speeds up rocovery time to 1 day.

Range work. Took a short game clinic and am really rusty or something? Either my new sequencing totally messed up my pitch shots or Aaargh!!!

Plus, all that fuss about “X-factor got me a whole 1.5 mph” which is well within measurement error. Double aaaargh...

BECB9B98-C7B6-4642-B4BA-95C01334ED6A.thumb.png.2caf75f66c12cf1ac30d8e75d6f70382.png

9i lower shots but not farther and lower spin of only 6580 average. So, setup lower is great for getting a low trajectory but maybe not sticking on greens? I might need more work figuring where to setup. It looks like it’s 3 balls behind my center.

FA1DD71E-5486-4866-B1EC-CEF4994C0D18.thumb.png.8980413a01ee9f1dd6b4b082d918867d.png

I’m setting up driver lower too, so they’re coming off like low running bullets as can be seen by the 11.6 degree launch angle.

Wow, this launch monitor thing really is making Golf way way more complicated. It’s not as simple as just “hit the ball” and hope if lands near the pin. There’s way more to it?!? :-P

Edited by Lihu
Wow, spellcheck really changed things. The mods or admins would get a kick out of the original words :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

In retrospect, I probably still have not optimized my sequencing yet. I’ll still stay on track with the first post today.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Day 3

worked on my getting my backswing in the correct slot for about 25 minutes. used mirrors and app to get it in the right slot. feels weird right now. not a lot of confidence in my game, I have it in the right slot for the most part. Hit some yellow and black skilz balls into the side of the house, but doesn't feel like the real thing. Will try to get to the range tomorrow.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

2/4/18:

Day 310:

Work on my path drill with the soda bottles and the first move down drill for about 5 minutes each this morning. I hit 10 balls with the path drill with a 7-iron this morning. The focus was to not hit the bottles and I didn't hit them once. Then I rehearsed my first move of the downswing. Focused on starting it down with my arms so there is no chance of coming over the top.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

23 hours ago, Lihu said:

Power walk with wife 2 miles uphill then 2 down. Starting to outgrow our neighborhood walk. We’re discussing going up Eaton Canyon or Mount Wilson. 

25 reps. Stretching hamstrings. Working on slow movements through transition. Tai Chi slow with weight shift incorporated into movement. Also keeping the lead wrist well pronated. Full coil backswing, lead arm straight getting past parallel. I have to focus on retaining the C-spine posture.

Using a roller to work the muscles in the flutes and calves. Speeds up rocovery time to 1 day.

Using a roller to work the muscles in the flutes and calves. Speeds up rocovery time to 1 day. Following a distance gaining program, and woke up for the first time after an aggressive range session hitting over 9*13 balls at full swing without any stiffness in the Gluteus and calf muscles. Doing more roller work this morning, and adding he intercostal muscles and extensor muscles to the roller work.

Power walk with my wife 5 miles. My wife told me that at older and heavier people should power walk rather than runts minimize bone structure impact forces. That’s okay as I get a pretty decent cardio workout even just in our neighborhood. My polar heart rate monitor tells me I’m reaching 75% of my peak workout rate for my age so it won’t take much more effort for me to reach 100% PWR which is recommended around 80% peak heart rate. When we go hiking in the mountains, I’ll have to make sure it doesn’t exceed that rate for too long.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Initially just keeping things fresh. Grip, setup, pivot, stretch.

-Refining my relatively new pre-shot element. It is a slight shift in the way that I aim, and interpret my swing through the ball. Very cool to me, though it's more of a flavor than a factor in my ball striking.

-Been making swings with my biceps more on top of my chest. Previously it felt as if my arms were wrapped around my stomach at setup, flying off my body in the back swing. Now it feels that my arms work better with my body - the biceps are more attached to the upper body, while the forearms/club kind of "hang" at address. So far I like some of the effects it's having, but quite a bit of study to do here. 

-Finally, guiltily, and admittedly just practicing my bandaid driver action. Haven't caught it on film yet, but it feels silly. Really it's just swinging extremely horizontally at the ball. The result in the last few rounds have been silly good though. Very playable low pull-fades, and high straight fades. Miss being a pull. Not something I want to do long term, but I'm keeping it in my arsenal until I get some more time at the range.

Day 6:

2/3/18

really wasn’t planning on doing anything today, but, I was kinda bored last night and I have the putting mat in the living room.  I took a couple putts, which turned into putting for about 40 minutes. Was not overly focused on set-up or balance or anything.   I was just watching tv and hitting putts.  But, I’m counting it as practice. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Day 4   Invested 2 1/4 hours on the range before the rains came.  Working through the Motion and Technical Drills in my GGGA workbook.   Continuing to focus on turning rather than swaying on my backswing... and staying in posture during the swing.  Also, did some work with the Super Speed Training System in a continuing attempt to increase my clubhead speed. 

Day 5- Too cold outside to do outdoor practice. Did some body turn wall drill work in the basement. Target to hit real balls is this weekend. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Day 2: 5 minutes today with the Hanger (probably closer to 10) while waiting for a lesson to arrive. I'm liking the feeling of moving the little clubface toward my hands early in the backswing to help with the hinge rate(s) and elbow folding rate.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4/2/18 - Had another really nice day at the course - the main course was busy and I'm really enjoying having a bit of range time, playing 9 then coming back and working on whatever wasn't quite firing. Actually played really well (level par thanks to a last-ditch birdie!) and contact with my irons is way better at the moment thanks to Preston's changes to my set-up.

www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/2001258

Went back and then worked on partial wedges (having had a weird hole where I totally fatted one from the middle of the fairway) and driver, which was poor until the last two holes. I'm getting the feel back, but need to keep working on combining this with my priority piece. Driving on the range after was pretty consistent and it's nice to see that I've finally sorted the Mevo out with positioning for clubhead speed. The really poor one was off the crown, hence the high launch and low smash. Would like to get more launch angle still, but I'd take most of these on the course!

image.png

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1/04 - indoor putting (25 4ft putts for bead

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Day 34. Again my post didn't register yesterday. I know I hit the submit button, and the screen even moved. Must be a dink in this old Android I am using. 

Anyways with a 10 am tee time, I am on the range working with my 5w. I let myself down with it a couple of times yesterday. Not a surprise since it is the club I have the least confidence in. Fat shots are the problem. 

So, with nice easy swings, while maintaining my 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Day 35.

Easy day today. Just a little sore after 2 days and 36 holes of golf. It is the good kind of sore though.

Went with some carpet putting today. Worked on my alignment, and hitting the coin a foot, or so in front of the ball. 3, and 6 footers to an unopened can of MGD. Once done, the can was opened.:dance:

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Practiced short pitch shots and flop. 60 degree wedge used and feel more comfortable with. 4 iron tee shots into the net and focused on draw mechanics along with good contact. I'm weak on driver so more time spent on center face contact by using foot powder on face. Miss was on the toe. Corrected by moving a little closer and seemed to find its way back to the middle. Since I tend to miss to the right when actually playing, I try to draw the ball and seems to work for me. Putted indoors on a putting mat from 4 to 10 yards and feeling like there's a ball in the middle of my shoulder blades as I rotate back and through with my shoulders. Total time about 2hrs.

Day 35

About 20 minutes on 3-6 foot putts

My goal is to expect to make anything inside 6 feet. Obviously you have to get to

six feet for it to matter, and I am looking forward to more work on that.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1