IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

After playing since 13, and now retired at 61, wanted to see how good I could get at golf if put some serious time into it. Always played for fun and Beers with friends so started reading on the internet how to improve. Have spent time on range with goals in mind, got, Rangefinder and recorded club distance as suggested. I now practice 4 to 5 days a week and play once, usually 9 holes. I read short game was where score can improve and chipping and putting are pretty good. As of today 2 months in, and a 25 handicap am starting to see some consistent results. Although score doesn't reflect it I see less miss hit Drives, fairway and mid range shots. Have gone to Hybrid clubs to replace 5-3 irons and working well. I am having more fun now with game than ever as there are some actual good golf shots being made. Recently on a short par 3 hole of 85 yards while playing 2 balls, in afternoon so not to delay play, my 2nd shot was hit well. The green was protected by a bunker and pin placement in center so could not see where ball landed. Upon reaching green and playing 1st shot a chip to 3 feet, I had a tingling feeling as I walked to the hole and saw my 2nd ball a Bright red Volvic lying in the cup!! Not an actual Hole in one as no witness and playing 2 balls but I have that feeling till I die! I still feel it when I reflect on it. Keeps us all coming back to the game even if just one great shot a round.

• Like 1

I putt really good. I played a celebrity scramble a few weeks ago and was giving us reads with Aimpoint. One guy was snickering the first few holes, but by the end of the day, he was asking me how it works.

• Like 1

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...

After about two years since we moved house and I didn't play for about 3 months, I've finally managed to get my high draw back consistently with my irons. It's taken a lot of work on a lot of different pieces and it's so nice to finally see the ball moving right to left and I'm looking forward to eliminating one side of the course again. Lots of work to do still, but today was the real 'eureka' day where everything has finally come back together. The good news is that whilst I was sort of saving a draw with my hands before, there's not so much of that now and it's actually coming through proper depth on the backswing.

Just a really nice feeling of achievement and this is why I love this damn game.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

My game right now, is where I want it to be. Had a good first part of the year, then several weeks of health issues. Now for the past several weeks I have been hitting on all cylinders. Model "A" cylinders, but still hitting on them all. 

Been practicing shots every day, and playing 9 holes 2-3 times a week. This is averaging out to about 450 actual ball striking swings a week, at targets. . 

Next week, 15 of us and our RVs will be spending a few days in Death Valley, at Furnace Creek. There, and in Beatty, NV. There will be a few rounds of golf played well below sea level in some very high triple digit heat. It's an annual thing for our crazy little group. The high temps will be respected, but won't control us.

Yeah, golf is pretty great game to play, more so for us older folks. I tend to think we enjoy it more than some of the younger age groups do. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I had a 10 hole stretch today that I played in a total of 3 over, despite handicap holes 2 and 3 being in there (bogeyed both of those).  That's uplifting.

Birdied a 476-yard par-5 today;  driver, 4-wood, great pitch to 10', made the putt.  

Had a 14.3 differential (13.8 handicap) today despite four double-bogeys and a triple bogey.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Take heart, ye older wounded golfers! Once the heat wave dies down to Saharan levels, I plan to take back (at least some of) my game with Bionic gloves on both hands, new Tacki-Mac oversize arthritic grips and the forward tees! Along with various doses of anti-inflammatory  pain relievers and hydrating liquids. We shall never, never, never, never surrender! That's my uplifting thought for today. Best of scores to you and yours, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Almost a year ago my wife had open heart surgery (valve).  She was/is in good shape so recovery went well.  This past May I had prostate surgery, which I'm still working through.

Both our sons have ended up in Arizona and when we visited them a couple of weeks ago, we all went out and played a couple rounds; been away from the game for over a year.  I have to say 100+ AZ heat is the perfect weather since the course is pretty thinned out and we can rip through it.  Had a great time.

Life is good.

John

Edited by 70sSanO
  • Like 1

I feel like I finally played real golf today.

For the past few months I've been hacking my way up and down the courses, playing at least once a week sometimes twice. Tonight after my 2nd pro lesson and a couple range trips scored a 46 on a tougher 9 hole course. My usual scores are anywhere from 110-125 for 18. 

Only a 9 hole round, but my confidence is up, and that's always fun. I feel like now I have a good reference round to compare in the future. 

8 hours ago, whitewatersalvo said:

Only a 9 hole round, but my confidence is up, and that's always fun. I feel like now I have a good reference round to compare in the future.

Way to go! That's what keeps us going isn't it? The fact it's 9 holes does not take away...You now know what you can do. I remind myself that I know how to break 90 and (years ago) 85. Self-belief is so important and an UPLIFTING topic. Best, -Marv

• Thumbs Up 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Today was the last club outing before the club championship that will start next Friday, although I'll also play the course on Saturday.  I had only three holes worse than bogey.  Unfortunately, they were a double (eh, I should be able to do better), a triple (a real wtf on a par-3) and a five-over 9 on the opening hole (sigh).

The other 15 were a real uplift, though, knowing I can play well even after some poor shots.  I am debating riding for the club championship though.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Well, today we went and played Turkana Golf Course down near East Liverpool, OH. It is the single hilliest golf course I can think of! We usually only play it once a year because it's a hike to get there, and it's expensive. But, we all buy a "My Loop Card" which gives discounts on greens fees for courses listed on the card.

Tee to green I actually played quite well! Even compensating for the uphill, downhill, and sidehill lies this course can offer. I can't think of a level lie on the whole place! Well, the tee boxes are about it!

Actually had quite a few GIR's w/putts for birdies. Only problem was, I didn't convert a single one. The greens on this course are quite large, and I think they have more contour than Augusta! I have a problem reading and putting greens that are built into steep hillsides!

But when you play a course like this only once a year, it's really tough, So, I choose to look at what I did well.

I'll be checking back in a few weeks to let you know how I did in the "Greatest Golfer of the Valley" tournament. It's a 54 hole tourney, with a cut after 36, run by the local paper. I finally decided to enter this year because the Seniors will play Youngstown Country Club on day 2. I've always wanted to play there, and am just praying I make the cut.

We got to play the private Flint Golf Club yesterday.   It's an amazing course and our foursome all played well.   Looking forward to a two day short trip to Treetops next week.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 weeks later...

For the past several weeks, I have been playing pretty good golf, for me anyways. Have been averaging 4.49 per hole played for a score.

I took a long walk this morning, hitting balls along the way, just enjoying the cooler morning air, and the sunrise. That, and the company of my two, 4 legged buddies. 

Around 1pm, a buddy called me, and wanted to play. He had driven 60+ miles, and I did not want to disappoint him. I don't normally play on Fridays. 

We played our round, had a good time talking old guys smack about each others game. Afterwards had a few drinks, and met our wives for dinner. Just a fun time. 

At some point during today's round, it occurred to me that I might have been playing on borrowed time. Nothing physically wrong, but just a little mental thought, that maybe it is time to cut back on the playing, and recharge the body. This before something serious might pop up. 

I have always found that playing 18 holes is more physically demanding than any practice session I might come up with for myself. 

So with this thought in mind, I am going to take a few weeks off from playing. I will still practice daily, but I am going cut back on the longer, full swings, just to give some (repaired) body parts some rest. 

At some future date, I will start my game up again, in hopes of playing through the winter months with no physical issues. That's my plan anyways. Of course there is always that "never say never" thing.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

9 hours ago, Patch said:

So with this thought in mind, I am going to take a few weeks off from playing. I will still practice daily, but I am going cut back on the longer, full swings, just to give some (repaired) body parts some rest. 

I understand this. We have had high temps and high dew points (high humidity) lately. About 4 weeks ago, we played early in the morning and even then, I was out of gas for the last 6 and suffered heat exhaustion. We had a little respite yesterday, but it still was too hot the last few holes and took awhile to cool down. Like you, I love golf. But I'm pretty old now and have recent physical issues. Golf has been kind to remind me of this and to slow down. It said, "Hey, old man, we can play 9, you know, when you're ready!" Golf, being the most spiritual of all games, can help me remember such things. Best, -Marv 

• Like 1

Finally starting to hit my driver reasonably well, after struggling with a high cut that was killing my distance and control.  Starting to hit a nice little draw now and though it is still missing a bit to the left, at times, it is at least a solid distance and not missing by a ton.

So well in fact, I finally got my first eagle today.  Hit a great drive 297 yards cutting off part of a dog leg left, then hit my 6 iron to about 2 1/2 feet from the hole for an easy tap in.  Took around 20 years, but it felt pretty damn good to finally make an eagle.

Edited by Inferno2ss

Last month at age 70, I hit a drive 30 yards. lol. I should say though it was in Ireland where it hadn't rained for 6 weeks. The caddy just kept saying "it's still rolling". But it sure is a treat when youget up there and see how close you are to the green. Eagles are as good as holes in one. At least that's my feeling since I've had eagles but never a hole in one. Congrats on the eagle.

In this week's league, I was down 3.5 to 0.5 and came back to win 5-4.

On 6/20/2018 at 9:54 AM, millsan1 said:

I am new to playing golf seriously.

1- So far this year I have gone from a 120s golfer to a low 100s golfer in 3 months.  I should be and plan to be a mid to high 90s golfer this year. (I know where I am losing strokes and actively working on the shortcomings)

2- I played with a friend who golfs regularly.  At the turn, he was up 3 strokes and was riding me a bit north of friendly, which awoke my competitive side.  He suggested we end it there, since he was whooping me.  I told him we were playing all 18.  I turned it up and beat him by 5, picking up 8 strokes.

3- I am playing in a Wed night league.  I am in last place.(expected)  But I am near the top of the money in skins.  I seem to win $ every week on the last hole.

Weird to quote yourself, but here we go:

1- I expect to shoot in the 90s now.

2- This buddy can't hang with me on the course, not even close.

3- I finished the league in last, but in the current season I am near the top.

Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

After returning to golf after a long break and dealing wit a few physical handicapsI have almost started from scrap in the past year; and broke 100 and broke 90 this last month.  

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).