IGNORED

As a "Non-Golfer" This Is How I Spend My Time

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 1844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's true!  I have become a non-golfer!....................by my own standards!!  LOL

Do you remember the ..........."you are a non-golfer, IF....." ......threads?   Yes, I started those threads!!!    I stopped playing golf in 2016...hanging it up!!  I have a golf membership, so I can play every day for the same price all year..... what is up with that?   ...quitting.           I played Less than 90 rounds in 2016 and already called it quits which is the least golf played in nearly 30 years....   I am living a world of complete insanity.  My son is active in another sport and I mostly watch him do his thing....he bowls and is pretty good at it.  In his age bracket, he's one of the top kids in the country.  He got me started bowling so now I do it too and  I bowl in three leagues, watch my kid bowl tourneys on the weekends.....my entire golf life is a mess right now.....LOL

We spent a week at nationals last year and he didn't win, but he was right there and he was one of the top finishers. This is why I don't play as much golf..........watching the kid.  He bowls in regional tourneys with kids from 4 states every month....competing in the top scratch division against kids 20 and under..........................my son is only 14..and WINS these events.   Crazy.........I know...................

He has some game....this is his first win against the older kids....

Sadly...I am a non Golfer now...!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I am just the opposite. Golf pretty much replaced a $25K bass boat. I golfed a lot as a young man, then took up bass fishing. Won the boat at a tournament, and kind of thought about a fishing career. Then I took up golf again, and the boat, and all the gear associated with it sat in the garage for so long my wife gave me a lecture on wasting space.  :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

90 rounds a year doesn't sound like a non-golfer. I'd be lucky to play once a week and consider myslef a golfer.

Also isn't bowling generally an evening thing? 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Actually, I wouldn't call you a non-golfer, you are more of a great father.  The time you spend with your son is more important that any round you give up.  And that bond will last a lifetime.

Besides, you can always pick it back up down the road.  There are tons of threads from people who start playing again after a decade or more.  You may even find that your son starts playing golf with you.

John

When my kids were young, I didn't play golf, I, like you put more focus on their activities.   Since they are now grown,  my focus has changed.   I enjoy other activities but golf is my major focus.   You have your priorities right, enjoy the kids.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I must be honest, I really don't like children, and golf would be a good excuse to get away from them. I used to play in 3 bowling leagues in the UK, and whilst I was reasonable, I was not that good either. just like I am at golf really. The advantage of bowling was I could drink beer more easily when playing. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Great post.  Kinda the same thing happened to me.  When my daughter was 13, about 4 years ago, we realized that she's pretty talented at volleyball.  So, we put her in a high level USAV club environment.  I recall lamenting that my Sunday golf will suffer, having not missed a Sunday with my boys in the previous 5 years or (inclement weather notwithstanding).

Well, as it happened, I got totally immersed in volleyball and within a few short months (and still today) if I have a choice between golf and watching her play in a tournament, I will choose vball 100% of the time.  I've even been known to forego a tee time to watch a practice.  Couldn't even imagine that just 4 years ago.

Golf game has suffered but I figure I have about 5 or 6 more years to watch her play through HS and college and then she'll be done (don't think she's good enough to turn pro, although she does continue to break through ceilings beyond what I ever dreamed so you never know).  I don't want to waste even one opportunity.  Golf will always be there.

I'm happy for you and me and anyone really, in this fortunate situation.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

49 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Great post.  Kinda the same thing happened to me.  When my daughter was 13, about 4 years ago, we realized that she's pretty talented at volleyball.  So, we put her in a high level USAV club environment.  I recall lamenting that my Sunday golf will suffer, having not missed a Sunday with my boys in the previous 5 years or (inclement weather notwithstanding).

Well, as it happened, I got totally immersed in volleyball and within a few short months (and still today) if I have a choice between golf and watching her play in a tournament, I will choose vball 100% of the time.  I've even been known to forego a tee time to watch a practice.  Couldn't even imagine that just 4 years ago.

Golf game has suffered but I figure I have about 5 or 6 more years to watch her play through HS and college and then she'll be done (don't think she's good enough to turn pro, although she does continue to break through ceilings beyond what I ever dreamed so you never know).  I don't want to waste even one opportunity.  Golf will always be there.

I'm happy for you and me and anyone really, in this fortunate situation.

Presuming you are married, can't your wife take her to volleyball whilst you play golf ?

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

17 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

Presuming you are married, can't your wife take her to volleyball whilst you play golf ?

Lol, no, not married and my ex is interested and wants her to do well but doesn't really get into it. 

She goes to most tournaments and stuff and I laugh cuz she'll say, "Wow, Ev is having a great game", and I'll say, "No, she's struggling a little out there."  Or the opposite, "Man, Ev is playing terribly."  I'll chuckle and say, "No, she's actually having a pretty good game today."  I manage all things volleyball for my kid.  The quality time we've had together over the past few years is more precious to me than anything else at this stage of my life, with my son already out on his own.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Hi,  I'm Conrad and I'm also a golf addict.  Obsessive compulsive seems to run in my family so I'm excused?  Can't get my kids hooked on golfing, hugely disappointed, but should probably be relieved 

good luck with your kids 

btw

Roll Tide

IMG_0258.JPG

I used to compete in a couple of bowling leagues with an around 205 average, and even have a 300 game to my name, all before I started golf. I eventually quit because it was stressing my elbow and lower back (maybe i was doing it wrong?)... I can't imagine quitting golf to go back to bowling though: no way!!

But I give you lots of props for supporting your kid in every way.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

9 hours ago, sjduffers said:

I used to compete in a couple of bowling leagues with an around 205 average, and even have a 300 game to my name, all before I started golf. I eventually quit because it was stressing my elbow and lower back (maybe i was doing it wrong?)... I can't imagine quitting golf to go back to bowling though: no way!!

But I give you lots of props for supporting your kid in every way.

That's ridiculously good. I played for years and had an average of about 160. Perhaps the lanes are shorter in the U.S.  ????

Whilst I wouldn't dream of condoning someone for the way they want to spend their time, I find all of this very strange. When my son was much younger, I went to watch him play football, and to be honest I found it horribly boring. From that point onward his mother took him. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that all the other players were children as well, and I really don't like kids. On the other hand golf is a great game to play, and gives me the opportunity to spend time with mates. In my opinion spending time with mates is much nicer than spending time with children, regardless of who they belong to. 

• Administrator
7 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

Whilst I wouldn't dream of condoning someone for the way they want to spend their time, I find all of this very strange. When my son was much younger, I went to watch him play football, and to be honest I found it horribly boring. From that point onward his mother took him. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that all the other players were children as well, and I really don't like kids. On the other hand golf is a great game to play, and gives me the opportunity to spend time with mates. In my opinion spending time with mates is much nicer than spending time with children, regardless of who they belong to. 

Cool story. You've now posted multiple times that you don't like kids. Enough.

It's sad that this seems to include your kid(s), too, but that's only valid if you're not just making shit up to troll. To what end? To get a rise out of people? It's not gonna happen.

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!