IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2225 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

Congratulations to Reed on a gutsy win. Some clutch saves today. Both Jordan and Rickie prolly came away feeling them coming this close was more like a bonus.

Rory's going to hurt for a while. I guess his putting will always be an enigma. Hope he finds his love for it again. 

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, b101 said:

Feels like a very muted response though compared to past Masters wins.

Yeah, the fans were pulling for Jordan or Ricky to win.

27 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Top three Americans and they're not DJ, Thomas or Finau. Looking good for US golf. Rahm and Fleetwood for the Europeans.

DJ is so overrated and Thomas has the PGA Championship Jinx. Jason Day and the last two winners before him haven't won a major since winning the PGA. I actually think the PGA is the least watched and liked. I am glad Spieth blitz his buddy Thomas....LOL.

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Well, it was fun while it lasted.  Still an exciting tournament. 

Yeah...Patrick winning....zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

43 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I was glad to see Reed win. All that unvarified history is from college days when we were all at our dumbest. Fact is he speaks his mind unlike the PC bore we get from Spieth. 

Oh really? Saying about five times "We're just gonna go out there and play some golf"? That's him speaking his mind? LIke most of them, they only ask questions that you already know the answers to. Except the moron who yesterday asked him why he's unpopular. (But we know the answer to that question too).....

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I love that Reed won.  I love that he cusses when hitting a bad or good shot...Don't we all?  I love that his meal of choice is a rib eye w/mac and cheese.

I guess he'll be wearing pink on his final round from now on.

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

So Jordan passed Rahm in the rankings?

Gotta love Rickie..... I saw Jordan was making a charge and decided to join the train and make one too!

15 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Oh really? Saying about five times "We're just gonna go out there and play some golf"? That's him speaking his mind? LIke most of them, they only ask questions that you already know the answers to. Except the moron who yesterday asked him why he's unpopular. (But we know the answer to that question too).....

Even Daly and Perez can have their bore moments...that’s usually the press’ fault with their mundane rhetoric. “My back still hurts from playing with Spieth in the Ryder Cup.” Get real, Spieth is a constant apple pie boy. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I wonder how long those final round videos will stay up. Haven't fninished downloading all of them yet. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

I wonder how long those final round videos will stay up. Haven't fninished downloading all of them yet. 

I have them all.

I think they'll just stay up though.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

Rory's going to hurt for a while. I guess his putting will always be an enigma. Hope he finds his love for it again. 

I felt like there was a big difference b/w his putting yesterday and today.  I haven't looked at numbers, but I'm sure someone here has. 

I was loving Jordan's charge...without it, I think it would've been far less interesting...I was going for Fowler near the end, but it was Jordan's charge that kept me in it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

It was probably tough for Rory having gone head to head against Reed and losing and knowing Reed just doesn’t choke. He hasn’t made a big appearance at majors but that’s not choking. Seems when Reed is faced with big pressure he pulls it out. Rory needed the ‘Faldo Syndrome’  and just didn’t get it. Reed wasn’t about to hand it over and I think Rory knew that from the get go. So despite Rory thinking Reed had more pressure, I think Rory had it, and more, all along.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

It was probably tough for Rory having gone head to head against Reed and losing and knowing Reed just doesn’t choke. He hasn’t made a big appearance at majors but that’s not choking. Seems when Reed is faced with big pressure he pulls it out. Rory needed the ‘Faldo Syndrome’  and just didn’t get it. Reed wasn’t about to hand it over and I think Rory knew that from the get go. So despite Rory thinking Reed had more pressure, I think Rory had it, and more, all along.

Well he did gain a stroke each on the first two holes. Rory certainly should have thought "ha, this is different" right then and there.

13 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Rory needed the ‘Faldo Syndrome’  and just didn’t get it.

Yeah he needed to play an error free 67 when chasing. 68 and possibly 69 would have him wearing the jacket.

• Like 1

Trollin' is the life

Rory's opening tee shot was a sign that it wasn't going to be easy.  But for me the real indicator that he wasn't going to run over Reed was missing the eagle putt on two.  He makes that putt, he's feeling good, Reed starts feeling the heat early and it could have been an entirely different round for both of them.

As it was, Reed didn't play his best round today but he grinded it out and and made some clutch shots and putts when he needed to which is why he deserved to win.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Well he did gain a stroke each on the first two holes. Rory certainly should have thought "ha, this is different" right then and there.

Very true. That’s why I was kinda surprised when Rory afterwards said, ‘I just didn’t have it...Jordan and Ricky had that momentum and I just couldn’t get it.’  Seems like that would’ve been the spark to fire Rory up like he was yesterday. 

18 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Very true. That’s why I was kinda surprised when Rory afterwards said, ‘I just didn’t have it...Jordan and Ricky had that momentum and I just couldn’t get it.’  Seems like that would’ve been the spark to fire Rory up like he was yesterday. 

I think that making a miraculous par on 1 after a horrific tee shot and missing a shortish eagle putt in the first two holes totally sums up a lack of momentum. 

That's the issue. His first and second shots on 2 were probably amongst the finest long shots played all week if not this century. ;-) But no capitalisation means no momentum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

6 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

Nope. The way they ate this course up this year though, somebody is gonna do it soon though.

Really? Did we watch different Thursday/Fridays? Yes, scoring got low over the weekend, but the first two days were seriously tough.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Seems when Reed is faced with big pressure he pulls it out. 

Reverse seems to be true of Rory - he just goes into his shell a bit.

4 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Rory's opening tee shot was a sign that it wasn't going to be easy.  But for me the real indicator that he wasn't going to run over Reed was missing the eagle putt on two.  He makes that putt, he's feeling good, Reed starts feeling the heat early and it could have been an entirely different round for both of them.

For me, the killer was missing the green with a wedge on 3, leaving that really tough up and down, whilst Reed made the birdie putt - had he got par, eagle, birdie, it might have all been different.

I stand by what I said that his long game was just as responsible as his putting - he doesn't hit anywhere near as many GIR as you would think he does, which puts a huge amount of pressure on his putting and scrambling. I'd be surprised if anyone played the short game shots around the green better than he did all week, but he simply had way too many of them. His game's not yet back to where it needs to be to win a major, IMO - one great round at the Arnold Palmer doesn't change that.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 2225 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!