IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

Good on Patrick for the win.

His parents getting media attention at this moment reminds me of LaVar Ball.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought it was pretty awesome to see the long list of very capable winners so far down the leaderboard. Not to mention all the ones who weren’t around the top but have showed some great golf over the recent past. I mean, it doesn’t compare at all to Jack’s 1965-66 leaderboard...now that was stacked! But impressive nonetheless.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, 3jacker said:

Maybe.  If they have always looked at him as meal ticket, that would make sense.  It would also make sense if they are heartbroken and hoping that his might change his outlook.

Who knows.  Folks is crazy.

His parents had money. He grew up on a Country Club. There is one constant in all this accusations from trouble at both colleges, boozing and parents covering it up, family rifts, teammates on two different teams not liking him. 

As his coach at Augusta State said, I hope someday Patrick comes clean with his past and tells a story so everyone can learn from it.

Golfwise he is a he'll of a competitor. His short game is arguably the best on tour and nobody talks about it much. He is the opposite of a lot of guys out there that fold up under pressure. It takes some good fortunes to go your way to win a major and he capitalized unlike Rory. I also noticed he doesn't spin that front foot out like he used to.

Trollin' is the life

• Administrator
2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Didn't catch Finau on tv unfortunately, read about his modified swing to keep weight off ankle, here it is up close, no weight transfer and he shot 6 under. Crazy.

There's still a pretty good pressure transfer, even if the "weight" transfer is minimized (as it is).

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

I was actually having a similar thought. I've read two articles now where they're out talking to journalists. With what Reed's wife has said in the past, I'm getting an emotionally abusive vibe from his parents. I don't really blame the journalists for getting these stories, but they should be aware how self-serving these stories are for his parents. The articles are a massive guilt fest and really make his parents seem sympathetic. That's not the whole story.

I met up with a golfer downtown who asked if I had seen the stories. He told me he thinks the parents are full of shit because it's the same kind of stuff his parents - from whom HE is estranged - would say. This guy is smart, successful, well adjusted, funny, and a good dude. He likely made the right choice in "estranging" his family.

Just because someone is family doesn't mean you have to love them and give them unlimited chances to keep abusing you or mistreating you.

Just now, MuniGrit said:

His parents had money. He grew up on a Country Club. There is one constant in all this accusations from trouble at both colleges, boozing and parents covering it up, family rifts, teammates on two different teams not liking him. 

In what way did his parents "cover it up"?

His coach at his second team liked him well enough.

And… finally… how much should we care about something that happened, what, almost 10 years ago? You obviously care or pretend to care quite a bit.

Just now, MuniGrit said:

As his coach at Augusta State said, I hope someday Patrick comes clean with his past and tells a story so everyone can learn from it.

What if there's nothing to come clean about?

His coach at Augusta State said nothing of the sort, either, on Morning Drive. He is Patrick's current coach, and he said that Patrick is well liked and a good guy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, sheepdog said:

That's it, no Masters article. not even the scores, just Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, Tiger. Don't believe me? The Memphis Commercial Appeal, Sunday, April 8, 2018. Find a copy.

You know perhaps that's why I;m one of Tiger's detractors, I know quite a few, all of us, all in their 60s and 70s, he's been shoved down our throats for so many years, when he deserved it, OK, but especially when he didn't. It gets old. Somebody wins a tournament, a nobody or a journeyman but the gist of the article is on how Tiger came in 10th. Why??? Perhaps it's political correctness, perhaps it's because he's done a lot for golf's popularity, dunno, Arnie did a lot for golf, but Arnie and Jack in their heydays weren't the lead topic of every tournament they were in.

I'm kind of hoping the media does not ruin Tiger Woods for me a second time, but thus far things aren't shaping up that way. I believe he was in a "featured group" everyday. Certainly on day 3 and 4, given his position on the leader board, another group/player could have been selected to share some coverage. 

Great tournament and fantastic finish.  The McIlroy-Reed pairing definitely had a Ryder Cup feel to it.  Nice seeing three US Flags on top.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

He likely made the right choice in "estranging" his family.

More than likely and why would we assume otherwise? Sean O'Hair is praised for overcoming the horrendous grip of his repulsive and abusive father.  He is not criticised for estranging his father.

My guess is that Reed made a difficult wise choice and I am sure that this really is a case where speculation and rumour are not helpful in understanding the situation. The other "issues" and controversies are perhaps a by-product of what he wanted to extricate himself from. But I shouldn't speculate and nor should anyone else. This is an issue more serious than most that are discussed here.

• Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

I'm kind of hoping the media does not ruin Tiger Woods for me a second time, but thus far things aren't shaping up that way. I believe he was in a "featured group" everyday. Certainly on day 3 and 4, given his position on the leader board, another group/player could have been selected to share some coverage. 

Because a ton of people wanted to see him. That's why.

And those higher in the ratings were covered by the regular coverage. I have no problem with the Sunday coverage, as it was basically:

• Those in contention.
  • The only golfer not in contention that millions wanted to see.
  • Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Golfwise he is a he'll of a competitor. His short game is arguably the best on tour and nobody talks about it much. He is the opposite of a lot of guys out there that fold up under pressure. It takes some good fortunes to go your way to win a major and he capitalized unlike Rory. I also noticed he doesn't spin that front foot out like he used to.

The quote you're referring to about Patrick coming clean, is correct, but it was made by a coach at Georgia, not Augusta St. It was in a kind of he said she said story from a DeadSpin? DeadZone? LOL, can't remember the name, but the story was kinda shady....

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Because a ton of people wanted to see him. That's why.

And those higher in the ratings were covered by the regular coverage. I have no problem with the Sunday coverage, as it was basically:

• Those in contention.
  • The only golfer not in contention that millions wanted to see.

There are lots of other players people want to see. Looks like the media oversaturation will continue. 

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

2 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

There are lots of other players people want to see. Looks like the media oversaturation will continue. 

Really? What did you miss in the coverage?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

5 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Be honest, love him or hate him, you don't want to watch him? Really? He's an all time great in sports, not golf, sports. I'd rather watch him shoot 74 then say, Zach Johnson, shoot 64. Because he's Tiger, and I have the chance to watch him?. I'm interested.

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

1 minute ago, Valleygolfer said:

Really? What did you miss in the coverage?

Seeing someone other than Tiger in the two "featured groups" all 4 rounds.  Sure a round or two, but spread it around a bit.

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

There's still a pretty good pressure transfer, even if the "weight" transfer is minimized (as it is).

You read my mind, was wondering whether he had enough Key #2.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 minute ago, fishgolf said:

Seeing someone other than Tiger in the two "featured groups" all 4 rounds.  Sure a round or two, but spread it around a bit.

There were at least 17 other players covered in the groups and then amen corner as well as the broadcast. So who are you carrying a torch for? Or you just don't like Tiger?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

3 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Then everyone else would be screaming, "Who cares about these guys? Where's Tiger???" If it was your network, you'd want to show his every move also.

So with no smartphones, back to analog. Actual paper? Big contrast to events like the US Open (tennis), where you have so much information  at your fingertips from the US Open app.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

3 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Be honest, love him or hate him, you don't want to watch him? Really? He's an all time great in sports, not golf, sports. I'd rather watch him shoot 74 then say, Zach Johnson, shoot 64. Because he's Tiger, and I have the chance to watch him?. I'm interested.

I like watching many players, including Tiger.  When the PGA becomes Tiger (or any player) centric, to the point of seemingly complete saturation, it becomes boring to me. 

Forgot to mention, I miss Peter Oosterhuis, probably my favorite of the CBS team. Hope he is in good spirits.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2201 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!