IGNORED

Golf Scores

Jeanne
Note: This thread is 2228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so I picked up golf a few years ago. I’m trying to understand my TRUE golf average. I golf with people and they say oh we only count to 7 or 8 or we don’t count woofs. I count every swing woof. Isn’t that my true golf score? Not pretty but 110 is s good day playing by the rules. 

• Upvote 1

Welcome to TST Jeanne. I strongly recommend counting every stroke of you are truly looking to get involved in the game long term and what to truly track your progress. 110 is a fine beginner score if every stroke is counted. Keep working on learning the game and your swing and breaking 100 could be closer than you think. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

Ok so I picked up golf a few years ago. I’m trying to understand my TRUE golf average. I golf with people and they say oh we only count to 7 or 8 or we don’t count woofs. I count every swing woof. Isn’t that my true golf score? Not pretty but 110 is s good day playing by the rules. 

I golf with people who are like the ones you play with. My playing partner last year would get mad at me because I'd count every stroke and every penalty. He once said to me "those rules are for the pros, not folks like us". 

On another occasion, another friend and I were adding up our scores after a round. He would take an occasional mulligan and was completely open about it. I'd shot a legitimate mid or high 90's round. He excitedly announced he had broken 90... and then followed it up with "of course, I took a couple mulligans". There was an awkward silence. The thing is, he has a good game and doesn't have to do that.

In the end, play however you want. It shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Jon

This is a good thread on the new rule changes that are upcoming.  If you are just starting to learn the rules of golf now, it might be best to start here so that you’re not learning stuff that is going away.

Congrats on the legit birdie! 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

It's best to count every stroke. Good, bad, or really ugly, they all count the same. If not counted, the golfer has no idea where their game is actually at.

I know some folks go with that ESC thing, or what ever it's, to save time. From I have seen, it's usually a max of 7, or 8 strokes per hole. After the ESC stroke limit is reached on a hole, the golfer picks up the Ball, and moves on to the next hole. It's not uncommon for some ESC golfers to not use their putter on some holes. The ESC number for a golfer is based on their handicap. 

As for a score of 110, that is closer to the overall amateur average than you might think. It's also alot easier to improve from a 110 average, that say a 90 average. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

22 hours ago, Patch said:

It's best to count every stroke. Good, bad, or really ugly, they all count the same. If not counted, the golfer has no idea where their game is actually at.

I know some folks go with that ESC thing, or what ever it's, to save time. From I have seen, it's usually a max of 7, or 8 strokes per hole. After the ESC stroke limit is reached on a hole, the golfer picks up the Ball, and moves on to the next hole. It's not uncommon for some ESC golfers to not use their putter on some holes. The ESC number for a golfer is based on their handicap. 

As for a score of 110, that is closer to the overall amateur average than you might think. It's also alot easier to improve from a 110 average, that say a 90 average. 

ESC is for posting for handicap purposes, not for your scorecard. That said, I have picked up to save time and written my most likely score on my card, then posted my ESC for handicap purposes.

I don't mind people that score however they want, just don't compare your "82" to my actual 83. ;) 

Great feedback from all. I agree as a “new” golfer it is important to count every swing or shot so I don’t randomly join some tournament where I don’t belong....but at the same time it’s not about the score and just being out there and enjoying playing good or bad is a lot of fun too.!

• Like 1

Welcome to another member who thinks as I do that golf can be both "fun" and "by the rules" at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I always play with the rules in tournaments, this is the only nunmber that matters for scoring average.. but when i´m out to the course for practice or fun i just hit 3..4 balls from every spot and don´t care about the score. 

23 minutes ago, p1n9183 said:

I always play with the rules in tournaments, this is the only nunmber that matters for scoring average.. but when i´m out to the course for practice or fun i just hit 3..4 balls from every spot and don´t care about the score. 

You are not alone, and every green fee paid helps all of us.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Yes, count every shot and penalties so you know your progress as you get better.

I still remember my very first round when I shot a 114!  I thought, oh man, I am awful!  I was able to break 100 before the end of the season and have been getting better every season since.

I like what Rick typed - " golf can be both "fun" and "by the rules" at the same time"

This is soooooo true and how it should be! 

One buddy likes to take 2 - 3 mulligans per side and sometimes after the round at the 19th hole we go over the card and my card has his "real" score and his has his "modified" score and he actually said he beat me once!  I showed him his real score and he kinda shrugged it off.  He can do what he wants but we do not play for money cause if we did, my card counts!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I'd like to recommend Match play as an alternative format...so I will.  Whether one is playing cards, shooting hoops in the driveway, or knocking the pill around a golf course; any one particular game can pale at times.  Few golfers, in my limited experience, embrace different (and legitimate) forms of competition outside the odd charity scramble.  That needn't be so.  Playing a Match shifts one's focus from the shot total to the challenge at hand...and that is a good thing.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I count 'em all.

Played a really tough course last year with a buddy and we both got beaten up pretty good.

On the final hole, he dumped one into the lake and then dumped another. Dropped in the middle of the fairway and then recorded a bogey. When relaying to our other buddy about our day, he actually stated a lower score than me. I didn't make a big deal out of it but I did later correct the story with my friend.

3 minutes ago, Piz said:

I'd like to recommend Match play as an alternative format...so I will.  Whether one is playing cards, shooting hoops in the driveway, or knocking the pill around a golf course; any one particular game can pale at times.  Few golfers, in my limited experience, embrace different (and legitimate) forms of competition outside the odd charity scramble.  That needn't be so.  Playing a Match shifts one's focus from the shot total to the challenge at hand...and that is a good thing.  

The other nice thing about match is that as long as the two competitors agree on how to proceed, they aren't playing the entire field so even if it's wrong, it's not cheating other groups.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

Note: This thread is 2228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!