IGNORED

Thoughts on Tony Romo’s debut in MX ...

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Doesn't really matter because Romo is going to finish DFL, by 5 or more strokes.
The sponsor, however, got everything they wanted out of offering him an exemption {publicity}

Exactly, the fact he played got that event significantly more attention than it would have, thats a win for the sponsors involved. 

Erik said it best, it was never about him being able to compete, it was for publicity and it's publicity they got. Do you think that tournament would have gotten a 3 page thread on this site had he not played? I doubt it would have been mentioned at all, hell most people I talked to thought it was a Web.com event.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not sure how true it is, I suspect it is, but I have heard that a 10 handicap is closer to being a scratch than a scratch is being to being a pro.

Colin P.

I watch his round on You Tube. I thought he played a good round. He seems to have the game to play better. Just needs to mentally keep it together longer. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

22 hours ago, 3jacker said:

Whatever dude, let it go.

LOL. You must be like the guy who sits at a green light and when person behind you honks to let you know it's green you give them the finger. @NM Golf clearly showed you were wrong. So, YOU let it go bro.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

15 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I'm not sure how true it is, I suspect it is, but I have heard that a 10 handicap is closer to being a scratch than a scratch is being to being a pro.

I heard that too. As I recall the big difference was the pros could play scratch or better on any course they set foot on. A 10 hdcp had a better chance of playing better than a scratch golfer, who's scratch game was developed on just one, it two courses. 

In My Bag:

On 3/23/2018 at 1:57 PM, iacas said:

You're not a celebrity. He is. He's likely doing exactly what the sponsors wanted. Clue: it wasn't to be competitive. It was to attract attention. As of right now we have more posts in this topic than in the WGC Match Play topic.

I totally understand why he was there.  I just do not think it is appropriate for an ostensibly 'professional' sports event to enlist a novelty act to pump it's popularity.  It smacks too much of Bill Veeck sending up a midget to pinch hit in a major league baseball game.

Edited by turtleback

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

I totally understand why he was there.  I just do not think it is appropriate for an ostensibly 'professional' sports event to enlist a novelty act to pump it's popularity.  It smacks too much of Bill Veeck sending up a midget to pinch hit in a major league baseball game.

It may not have been appropriate, but Romo (the novelty) may have been necessary to insure a successful roi for those promoters involved. 

In My Bag:

Good for him for giving it a shot and seeing how difficult it is out there, and seeing how good those guys really are. I’m sure he want surprised by that part though. He seemed to think putting and short game was his weakness out there...any one know what his strokes gained numbers were for the first two days to see what is weakness actually was? My guess is he wasn’t hitting it as “fine” as he thinks. 

I liked it. 

On the one hand, it was impressive to see how talented of an athlete he is to be able to play to that level. On the other, it made me appreciate just how much better these guys are. 

It's not something I'd want to see every week, and I wouldn't want to see Michael Phelps in the Masters or something, but every once in a while especially for lower tier events I think it's a good idea.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, colin007 said:

Not in terms of strokes (PGA Tour pros are ~+5s), but since each stroke becomes much more difficult, yes, in terms of ability. Absolutely.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, Patch said:

I heard that too. As I recall the big difference was the pros could play scratch or better on any course they set foot on. A 10 hdcp had a better chance of playing better than a scratch golfer, who's scratch game was developed on just one, it two courses. 

It's more a question of a pro being able to score in the mid sixties a lot of the time on most suburban course in fair conditions. The "scratch" golfer, because of the handicapping system, can maintain that handicap by playing a few over par half the time and even par once every 8 or 9 rounds (depending on slope of course).  And a good scratch player can take a decent game to most courses. Playing at one or two courses doesn't help much. If you can hit it straight at your own course you can hit it straight anywhere. The pros who are shooting 68 and 69 and missing cuts in Web.com tour events would be playing off +5 or even better in many cases. The elite players who are shooting 63 and 64 on tough tournament courses are playing to about +12 or +13 on those occasions.  If you want to look at the true abilities of the Tony Romos and Jerry Rices, look at their scores on par 5s in these events they play in. (Romo + 4 this week on par 5s in two rounds with 2 birdies, and Im pretty sure Jerry rice was about 14 over on the par 5s in his 2 rounds) The average pro is going to be under par and the football/baseball players are always well over par. These are the scoring holes.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Shorty said:

It's more a question of a pro being able to score in the mid sixties a lot of the time on most suburban course in fair conditions. The "scratch" golfer, because of the handicapping system, can maintain that handicap by playing a few over par half the time and even par once every 8 or 9 rounds (depending on slope of course).  And a good scratch player can take a decent game to most courses. Playing at one or two courses doesn't help much. If you can hit it straight at your own course you can hit it straight anywhere. The pros who are shooting 68 and 69 and missing cuts in Web.com tour events would be playing off +5 or even better in many cases. The elite players who are shooting 63 and 64 on tough tournament courses are playing to about +12 or +13 on those occasions.  If you want to look at the true abilities of the Tony Romos and Jerry Rices, look at their scores on par 5s in these events they play in. (Romo + 4 this week on par 5s in two rounds with 2 birdies, and Im pretty sure Jerry rice was about 14 over on the par 5s in his 2 rounds) The average pro is going to be under par and the football/baseball players are always well over par. These are the scoring holes.

They aren't quite that good.

+5 or so is a typical PGA Tour player. Tiger Woods played to about a +8 during a really good stretch of golf.

Remember that the slope works against them on the "other" side of zero.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

+5 or so is a typical PGA Tour player. Tiger Woods played to about a +8 during a really good stretch of golf.

Didn’t he hover above +10 for much of 2000/2001? I feel like I have read that somewhere, but could just be hearsay. 

• Administrator
Just now, HJJ003 said:

Didn’t he hover above +10 for much of 2000/2001? I feel like I have read that somewhere, but could just be hearsay. 

I don't know.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/the_numbers_game/calculating_the_handicap_indeces_of_the_pros

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Found the article. It was Golf Digest. Here is an excerpt and the link to the article: 

"In 2000, Tiger's Handicap never dropped below +10 the entire year," Knuth said.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/we-figured-out-tigers-handicap

He doesn’t share the exact numbers, but I’ll take Dean Knuths word for it. 

On 3/24/2018 at 10:35 AM, Vinsk said:

LOL. You must be like the guy who sits at a green light and when person behind you honks to let you know it's green you give them the finger. @NM Golf clearly showed you were wrong. So, YOU let it go bro.

No, I was clearly right. 

I said I don't want to see players of his caliber play.  Not interested.

You think I'm wrong about that? I don't know what I want?

You need to get over the fact that I don't agree with you.  It's ok. Just let it go.

Edited by 3jacker

On 3/23/2018 at 12:22 PM, 3jacker said:

.  I'm comparing a guy playing in a PGA Tour event as a pro

Wrong. You were 100% wrong as @NM Golf pointed out. He was not playing as a pro. I seriously doubt Romo had intentions on hanging with the big boys. He played for the reasons stated previously. Get over it chief.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

OK, he was playing as an amateur on a sponsor's exemption in a PGA Tour event. Or was he?  It's not clear.

He was playing "pro golf" and said much of measuring his game against the pros. So is he a pro?  Did he keep his am status?  I wouldn't know, because it is not interesting to me.

He also finished dead last.

And I'm still 100% right about what I prefer to watch.

Edited by 3jacker

Note: This thread is 2193 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!