IGNORED

Left Wrist Through Downswing

Note: This thread is 2161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've started to work on having a flat left wrist through the downswing and impact.  Looking at video, mine is flat through about half of the downswing and starts to cup through impact.  I did some quick searching on this and a post had recommended using a stick or something coming out of the butt of the grip and swinging without it hitting you.  Have any of 'all tried this or something similar?  Or some other technique to flatten your wrist through impact?  I'd like to hear how some have worked on this.  Thanks!

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

I've started to work on having a flat left wrist through the downswing and impact. 

I'd worry about impact.

There might be a some other things that hurt your ability to achieve this.

You could post this in your swing thread as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This is what I am using to help encourage flat left wrist at impact. It's been working well for me so far.

Also, this confuses me:

48 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

mine is flat through about half of the downswing and starts to cup through impact.  I did some quick searching on this and a post had recommended using a stick or something coming out of the butt of the grip and swinging without it hitting you.  

By "starts to cup through impact" I am picturing that your wrist bone is way out in front of the club and the back of your left hand is pointing more towards the ground. Basically the opposite of a flip. Is that correct? A picture or video might be helpful.

This picture is what I am thinking of when you say that your wrist cups.

wrist.png.ceabbcd77c56cf9c7b159fa86b8ca407.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Ah, funny, because this is EXACTLY what I'm working on.

2 hours ago, 3jacker said:

Cupped wrist at impact is usually a symptom, not a cause.

Maybe you could elaborate, because I think it's the complete opposite, the same as the photo below. This shows a bowed wrist, not a cupped wrist. This photo would be my goal, not my current problem.

I've been working on the fix by starting the backswing in a flat-wrist position and trying to increase the extension at the top. I release too early, which leads to the cupped wrist, which then becomes a bad and inconsistent result. Cupped wrist is a cause of bad golf.  Or, in my own case, the cause of the cupped wrist is a weak left side.

It's taken me nearly two years to work this out to this point. Taking the club back without hinging the wrist is what's working for me right now. A few thousand more swings and I might be able to put more lag into the strike, with more extension.

Maybe. I believe this is where good golf separates from bad golf. It's bad on the range, but even worse on the course where the worst don't even warm up before they play.

Wayne

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

You could post this in your swing thread as well.

I do have a video from yesterday I could post, so mods feel free to merge this topic.

3 hours ago, klineka said:

Sorry, I was describing the opposite.  I was thinking of the opposite of when it's said that DJ has a 'bowed wrist' at the top.  So to me, your picture shows a bowed wrist.  I'll get around to posting a video.

Diego’s Gear

5 hours ago, klineka said:

Also, this confuses me:

By "starts to cup through impact" I am picturing that your wrist bone is way out in front of the club and the back of your left hand is pointing more towards the ground. Basically the opposite of a flip. Is that correct? A picture or video might be helpful.

wrist.png.ceabbcd77c56cf9c7b159fa86b8ca407.png

Flexion is a bow. Wrist cupping is extension.

wristandhandterm2.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

Ah, funny, because this is EXACTLY what I'm working on.

Maybe you could elaborate, because I think it's the complete opposite, the same as the photo below. This shows a bowed wrist, not a cupped wrist. This photo would be my goal, not my current problem.

I've been working on the fix by starting the backswing in a flat-wrist position and trying to increase the extension at the top. I release too early, which leads to the cupped wrist, which then becomes a bad and inconsistent result. Cupped wrist is a cause of bad golf.  Or, in my own case, the cause of the cupped wrist is a weak left side.

It's taken me nearly two years to work this out to this point. Taking the club back without hinging the wrist is what's working for me right now. A few thousand more swings and I might be able to put more lag into the strike, with more extension.

Maybe. I believe this is where good golf separates from bad golf. It's bad on the range, but even worse on the course where the worst don't even warm up before they play.

All I'm saying is, it could be for different reasons.  

Stance/setup could make it impossible for you to get contact without a compensatory move, like cupping/flipping combined with a slide.  Playing the ball to far forward, for example. Or over-rotating the hips on downward move.

A strong grip would mean you will have some 'cup.'

Many times people pick out a single thing without considering it in the context of the entire swing and setup.  

"Lag" is another one of these.  It's something you get as a result of the preceding movements, not something you chase on it's own.

2 hours ago, Puttin4Dough said:

What do you mean by over-rotating the hips on the downswing?  Do you mean the hands are disconnected from the lower body?

Your hip slide towards the target followed by hip rotation must sync well with your arm swing. 

What would amaze you and give you a real eye opening moment would be to film your swing down the line and face on.

Then compare it to a pro who has your similar physical characteristics. You’ll gain some valuable insight from that. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 hours ago, billchao said:

Flexion is a bow. Wrist cupping is extension.

wristandhandterm2.jpeg

Gotcha. Makes sense. So it sounds like the OP is just describing a "flip" without calling it a "flip" ?  

If thats the case, then I cant recommend The Hanger enough. I too have/had a bad flip, and my ball striking especially with my irons has increased dramatically after just a few range sessions with The Hanger.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Undiscussed is early release of the club, too.

This past week, I ran across a video online which provided the key for me. Last week was step one. I stopped using a strong grip, and returned to a neutral grip, because a coaching video suggested this might be the cause of my inconsistency. Then, the second video coached me not to hinge my wrists or try to exaggerate the lag. 

I use a forward press on my irons, which aligns my wrist and sets it. Then, I'm practicing taking away the club with the wrist remaining straight through the swing. I'm still not sure if the clubface is closed at the nine o'clock position of the takeaway, or the toe of the club is vertical. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to rotate my club by turning the left forearm or elbow to get more bow and bring the club inside.

I'm getting closer. Yesterday was the best ball-striking round I've ever played. I hit some really good shots and was even for the first five holes, a total first. A few more thousand swings and I might finally have a useful golf swing which has been a two-year goal.

Videos are a remarkable tool, as well as video of your own swing.

17 hours ago, 3jacker said:

A strong grip would mean you will have some 'cup.'

I didn't know this, but it probably contributed to my struggles with a strong grip. Now, to fix that early release right before the bottom.

😊

Wayne

3 hours ago, klineka said:

Gotcha. Makes sense. So it sounds like the OP is just describing a "flip" without calling it a "flip" ? 

A cupped lead wrist doesn't necessarily mean a flip IMO.

Zach Johnson has a little bit of cup in his left wrist from his strong grip.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

I use a forward press on my irons, which aligns my wrist and sets it. Then, I'm practicing taking away the club with the wrist remaining straight through the swing.

I doubt you’re actually doing that - not changing the wrist conditions throughout the swing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Your hip slide towards the target followed by hip rotation must sync well with your arm swing. 

What would amaze you and give you a real eye opening moment would be to film your swing down the line and face on.

Then compare it to a pro who has your similar physical characteristics. You’ll gain some valuable insight from that. 

My left knee drives left pretty hard at the transition, like I'm thumping a wall with my left knee at the start of the downswing.  That may feel like a 'slide' but it's a momentary shift then circular rotation with the hips left.  Do you know what I mean?  We may be saying the same things in different ways.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

I doubt you’re actually doing that - not changing the wrist conditions throughout the swing.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me either.  But there are those swing aids like "The Secret" by Greg Norman that clamp the left wrist into staying flat.  

On 5/3/2018 at 8:28 AM, Foot Wedge said:

I've started to work on having a flat left wrist through the downswing and impact.  Looking at video, mine is flat through about half of the downswing and starts to cup through impact.  I did some quick searching on this and a post had recommended using a stick or something coming out of the butt of the grip and swinging without it hitting you.  Have any of 'all tried this or something similar?  Or some other technique to flatten your wrist through impact?  I'd like to hear how some have worked on this.  Thanks!

I've used it as a drill with a wedge, not with a full swing, and only about 1/4 or so speed - it's a drill.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

2 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

I've used it as a drill with a wedge, not with a full swing, and only about 1/4 or so speed - it's a drill.

Well in a drill that makes sense completely.  Shorten the swing to cut down the variables.  Good job!

Ok here's what I'm talking about in my case specifically, angle of my wrist extension is in red.  The lesson feedback was to get closer to what would be a flat red line and help close the clubface.

image.png.2cac6da99414d95eaae46d26495f5eb6.png

On 5/4/2018 at 8:32 AM, klineka said:

I thought about this, but I haven't really been told anything about flipping except for one lesson where I was letting my right elbow get away from my body.  So I don't think I really I've had to deal with much of flip but here's a typical impact position for me for more discerning eyes to determine.  Regardless, the hanger may be worth looking into for me if it helps keep the wrists flat throughout and if I have, in fact, been flipping.

image.png.b79005f63eacff361d6afaa174cc14ae.png

Diego’s Gear

Note: This thread is 2161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!