Jump to content
iacas

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

851 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Love it........

Glover, Simpson, McDowell....the "one major, U.S. Open winner" group

Snedeker, Dufner, Thornburry....the "all SEC" group

Thomas, Johnson, Woods.....the "current no. 1, the current best player and the best ever " group (imo)

Speith, Mickelson, McIroy......the "three-fourths of the career grand slam" group

Hideki, Leishman, Fowler.....the "best to not win a major" group

 

 

Edited by BallStriker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

16 hours ago, BallStriker said:

Love it........

Glover, Simpson, McDowell....the "one major, U.S. Open winner" group

Snedeker, Dufner, Thornburry....the "all SEC" group

Thomas, Johnson, Woods.....the "current no. 1, the current best player and the best ever " group (imo)

Speith, Mickelson, McIroy......the "three-fourths of the career grand slam" group

Hideki, Leishman, Fowler.....the "best to not win a major" group

 

 

haha. I always had fun trying to figure these out. I don't know why they did away with the US Open/British Open/US Am champ. That used to be tradition.

Some others I see:
Steele/Hadley/Ellis: The "golfers who look like pencils" group
Oosthuizen/Walker/Rose: The strong 1 major group
Watson/Day/Koepka: Bombs away
Hatton/Willett/Poulter: All-England
Johnson/Schwartzel/Reed: Former masters champions
Howell/Haas/Hoffman: Tongue-twister group
Fleetwood/Molinari/Noren: Most underrated foreigners never to win major?
Garcia/Rahm/Cabrera-Bello: All-Spain
Li/Kim/Aphinbarnrat: The East Asia Group
 

 

 

 

 

On 6/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, nevets88 said:

Ten bucks someone calls Garcia, Rahm and Bello, "The Spanish Armada".

Most annoying was in 2011 when they paired all the countries together. They had 3 Frenchman together, 3 Spaniards, 3 Italians, 3 Aussies, etc. And Chris Berman kept making a big deal out of it constantly throughout the 2 rounds...."The Frenchman take the lead........oh the Italians just tied them.........another birdie for the Spaniards." Drove me nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2018 at 3:31 PM, MrGolfguy67 said:

Intriguing Thurs/Fri pairings:

Justin,Dustin,Woods (as mentioned);  Stenson,Scott, Kaymer;  Els,Stricker,Furyk;  Garcia,Rahm,Cabrera Bello;  Matsuyama,Leishman,Fowler;  McIlroy,Spieth,Mickelson;  Oosthuizen,Walker,Rose

 

There are so many great players now, it will be hard not to find great pairings. I particularly like the Spanish Armada group though! 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cannot wait.

Guessing there are several of us going, will try and post photos and vids of the practice round here. Stay tuned.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Weather forecast continues to look fantastic. Wish I was going now. Sunny skies all week. Temps in the 60s. That’s paradise weather. Course should play pretty dry which is what the USGA wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope that means he's practicing tomorrow. HOLD MY SPOT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Hope that means he's practicing tomorrow. HOLD MY SPOT!

He’s played over the past few weeks. And tomorrow too probably. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

He’s played over the past few weeks. And tomorrow too probably. :-)

Before everything happened to him, took it for granted could watch him play, turned down chances to see him, then his world blew up. Will not turn down any more opportunities.

On 6/8/2018 at 1:19 AM, BallStriker said:

Love it........

Glover, Simpson, McDowell....the "one major, U.S. Open winner" group

Snedeker, Dufner, Thornburry....the "all SEC" group

Thomas, Johnson, Woods.....the "current no. 1, the current best player and the best ever " group (imo)

Speith, Mickelson, McIroy......the "three-fourths of the career grand slam" group

Hideki, Leishman, Fowler.....the "best to not win a major" group

 

 

Good catch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Oddsmakers still like Tiger Woods' chances to win the 2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock. No matter that his last PGA Tour victory came in 2013 and it's been a decade since he won his last major championship.

Here's a look at odds for the favorites as of Monday for Westgate Las Vegas Superbook: Dustin Johnson: 8/1 Rory McIlroy: 14/1 Justin Thomas: 14/1 Rickie Fowler: 14/1 Justin Rose: 14/1 Jason Day: 16/1 Jordan Spieth: 18/1 Jon Rahm: 20/1 Tiger Woods: 20/1 Phil Mickelson: 25/1 Brooks Koepka: 25/1 Hideki Matsuyama: 30/1 Patrick Reed: 30/1 Henrik Stenson: 30/1 Tommy Fleetwood: 30/1 Branden Grace: 30/1 Bryson DeChambeau: 40/1 Sergio Garcia: 50/1 Adam Scott: 50/1 Marc Leishman: 50/1 Louis Oosthuizen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Oddsmakers still like Tiger Woods' chances to win the 2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock. No matter that his last PGA Tour victory came in 2013 and it's been a decade since he won his last major championship.

Here's a look at odds for the favorites as of Monday for Westgate Las Vegas Superbook: Dustin Johnson: 8/1 Rory McIlroy: 14/1 Justin Thomas: 14/1 Rickie Fowler: 14/1 Justin Rose: 14/1 Jason Day: 16/1 Jordan Spieth: 18/1 Jon Rahm: 20/1 Tiger Woods: 20/1 Phil Mickelson: 25/1 Brooks Koepka: 25/1 Hideki Matsuyama: 30/1 Patrick Reed: 30/1 Henrik Stenson: 30/1 Tommy Fleetwood: 30/1 Branden Grace: 30/1 Bryson DeChambeau: 40/1 Sergio Garcia: 50/1 Adam Scott: 50/1 Marc Leishman: 50/1 Louis Oosthuizen

Kinda like Fleetwood at 30/1. Also think Rickie could have solid week. Good course for him. Rooting for Tiger and Phil but I really don’t like their chances. Tiger because of his driving and putting and Phil because of the driver. That rough over there is ridicoulos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/29/2018 at 8:48 AM, ChrisP said:

Hoping they bring back the “bite” the US Open used to have. Last year looked more like the John Deere than the US Open and early word is they’re widening the fairways and are gonna be more cautious with the greens. Shinnecock can be a real challenge if set up right, but it can also be pussycat if they set it up wrong. 

The thing is Shinnecock is much like Erin Hills in that if the wind is blowing, it's going to be tough! All you can do is set up the course and hope you get your usual weather. Last year the wind only blew one day in a location where it normally blows a gale!

I was at the golf shop today shopping for some golf, and the Golf Channel had some programming of practice rounds at Shinnecock. The wind was definitely blowing today! The flags were starched! That would make things interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Oddsmakers still like Tiger Woods' chances to win the 2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock. No matter that his last PGA Tour victory came in 2013 and it's been a decade since he won his last major championship.

Correction: the oddsmakers like their chances of making loads of money by taking bets on Tiger even though they have his odds way too high.  😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

The thing is Shinnecock is much like Erin Hills in that if the wind is blowing, it's going to be tough! All you can do is set up the course and hope you get your usual weather. Last year the wind only blew one day in a location where it normally blows a gale!

I was at the golf shop today shopping for some golf, and the Golf Channel had some programming of practice rounds at Shinnecock. The wind was definitely blowing today! The flags were starched! That would make things interesting.

I actually think it’s a lot different than Erin Hills in that Erin Hills was more a bombers paradise. Shinnecock takes a lot more strategy. You have to really know where the safe parts are on a hole and you sometimes need to miss greens on purpose but miss in the right spots. It’s a much tougher course. That’s why I think you’re gonna see scores much more similar to your typical US Open this week where  Even Par could win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but I disagree. Both courses can be long, but the challenge is in the wind! As the Scots say, "Nae wind, nae gowf!" Translated that becomes "If there's no wind, it's not golf!" The very air itself will determine what kind of tournament this is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Sorry, but I disagree. Both courses can be long, but the challenge is in the wind! As the Scots say, "Nae wind, nae gowf!" Translated that becomes "If there's no wind, it's not golf!" The very air itself will determine what kind of tournament this is.

I do agree wind will be a factor, but also think this course will play differently than Erin hills. EH often had 60+ yards between gorse. While Shinnecock does have larger fairways than 2004(?) the fairways will play much tighter than landing areas gifted to the players at EH. The greens are much faster at shinnecock as well. Wind will still be a factor though. If wind is light then I expect 3-5 under to win it, and if it’s up I expect par to be a dang good score. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...