IGNORED

Neck Pain/Issues??

fishgolf
Note: This thread is 1498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since this past fall/winter, I've developed a bit of a recurring neck pain.  I played considerably more golf from Dec-Mar than I had in a number of years (like 3x more).  It never bothered me while playing - or at least I don't believe it limited my swing.  I hear a slight crunching/popping when it acts up and during certain range of motion, and seems worse on my left side.  I did experience a pretty bad whiplash in my early 20's from a rear end car collision and, from what I've read, these can often show themselves decades later.  I don't think golf aggravates the issue, but maybe it is.  I've not seen a Doc about it (hate seeing doc's). Curious whether others deal with neck pain and whether playing golf has been determined to be contributor.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

For me, its bad sleep posture. I need a specific size and firmness of pillow or I'll get neck tightness, pain, and in some cases pinched nerves. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I woke up several weeks (months) ago with what I thought was sore neck from sleeping wrong. It had happened before, but went away in a day, or two. 

This time, it became worse with the pain radiating into my back, right shoulder, and down towards my elbow. It was painful enough, I would get sick to my stomach. 

A trip to the ER turned up a pinched nerve. Lots of follow up doctor visits and a decision to let it heal on it's own. Sergury later if needed. 

At no time did it hurt worse swinging a golf club. Pain would set in if sitting in certain chairs, car seats, standing still, or walking too much. I could however lay on my back with no pain what so ever.

With many weeks of PT, and meds, I gradually became 99% pain. free . I still get PT once a week, and my med usage has dropped off considerably. 

If I were the OP, I would get to a neck, nerve and spine doctor asap. I still have two doctors keeping an eye me. Seeing the nerve guy tomorrow as a matter of fact. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I don't know how old you are fishgolf, but I'm 65 and it would be a much shorter reply to tell you about the places in and on my body that DON'T hurt as opposed to the ones that do!

In my youth I played every sport that was known to me. My knees are shot, as is my left shoulder. But my spine is still OK. If it bothers you enough I'd go see a doc. I know, I hate it too! But, I'm going to offer a somewhat unconventional opinion that I'll probably get flamed for.

Maybe go see a Chiropractor. There have been 2 times in my life where I ginched up my neck, and a good Chiropractor straightened me out both times. Therein lies the rub, finding a good one!

I'm not into the guys who are all about the "woogie, woogie" energy transfer throughout the body, though that may be a valid idea. I'm more into the guys who are structurally oriented. Like a front end alignment on your vehicle. If it's aligned your car will drive nicely, and your tires will last a long time. If not, your car will drive like crap and you can grind the tires right off the rims!

I would suppose that there are enough internet assets to do a thorough search.

11 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Maybe go see a Chiropractor. There have been 2 times in my life where I ginched up my neck, and a good Chiropractor straightened me out both times. Therein lies the rub, finding a good one!

Having found a good one, @fishgolf, combine adjustments with spinal decompression therapy. Seems to work for me. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Ditto on the chiropractor. I'm 63, I spent my life picking up 5 gallon buckets of paint and sheetrock mud. One five in both arms is the usual way we carried them, sort of balances out that way. Now if I pick up two fives at the same time it's instant pain, the 6th and 7th vertebrae have wound up mashed together and anything it seems can set it off. Usually it subsides with some Advil and rest but every once in a while the ulnar nerve in either arm goes nuts. Just thinking about hitting a golf ball hurts.

Doctors, orthopedic surgeons etc can do a little, maybe write you a prescription for pills, Lyrica actually works pretty decent, but they run out and they won't write more. A good chiropractor can loosen me up in weeks. I had a major attack back in March, first really bad one in ten years. This time the left shoulder and arm down into the little finger. The chiropractor had me pretty much pain free in a couple of weeks but sitting in a car or behind a computer can set it off some. I just now started hitting balls, only ten or so since the arm is weak but a few months or so should see me back at the course.

Live from the doghouse.

18 hours ago, Patch said:

sleeping wrong

Sorry to hear about your issue and I apologize in advance, but I heard a comedian recollecting a conversation he had with his dad where he had indicated that he had slept wrong. The comedian wondered how you can mess that up..."isn't that just a lay-down thing?" 

Fortunately I have not had issues with the neck or back. I do sleep with a body pillow on my side and have a couple of other pricey pillows for my head.

23 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I don't know how old you are fishgolf, but I'm 65 and it would be a much shorter reply to tell you about the places in and on my body that DON'T hurt as opposed to the ones that do!

In my youth I played every sport that was known to me. My knees are shot, as is my left shoulder. But my spine is still OK. If it bothers you enough I'd go see a doc. I know, I hate it too! But, I'm going to offer a somewhat unconventional opinion that I'll probably get flamed for.

I'm not into the guys who are all about the "woogie, woogie" energy transfer throughout the body, though that may be a valid idea. I'm more into the guys who are structurally oriented. Like a front end alignment on your vehicle. If it's aligned your car will drive nicely, and your tires will last a long time. If not, your car will drive like crap and you can grind the tires right off the rims!

I would suppose that there are enough internet assets to do a thorough search.

Your post gave me a good laugh, thanks.  I'm 57 years young. Likewise, I played lots of sports and generally beat hell out of myself when I was too dumb to heed advice not to do so as you'll pay for it later.  I've never been to a bone cruncher (friend at Boeing called them) but know a handful of folks who have/still do.  That will likely be my next move if it does not sort itself out. We now winter in AZ and with those demographics there must be a ton of them doing business.  Now finding one that knows how to do a proper front end alignment. :-D

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

On 5/28/2018 at 2:42 PM, fishgolf said:

Curious whether others deal with neck pain and whether playing golf has been determined to be contributor.

We have an inversion table and frequent use has helped me considerably.   Other than hearing bones in my neck pop, I don't think golf has had any affect.

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I'm telling you, fishgolf, (both are activities I REALLY like btw), but a good one can work miracles. I was locked up so tight that I could not look to the left or the right without turning my shoulders. When I showed up at the Doc's office the first time (my Step-Dad had set me up), I was in agony! It was all I could do to just drive myself there.

He laid me on the table, examined me, and placed those hot, wet, electrodes on my back. Once I got used to the feeling, I started feeling better. They loosened me up. Then the Doc came back in, took the electrodes away and started snapping me around. Literally sitting on one hip, then the other, and wrenching my body! I have to tell you that the sounds that came out of my spine were kind of mind boggling!

But, I came out of that session feeling 100% better than I did going in. I went back for the second appointment which involved finer adjustments to the mid-back and between the shoulders, The final appointment was even more fine, focusing on the neck.

After that last appointment the Doc told me I was done. I was aligned. Go back to work. If I had problems in the future, come back and see him since he had my charts. I did have to go back a few years later, and he fixed me in about the same amount of time. I haven't been back in 30+ years. My original Doc is dead, but his Sons carry on, Bet I could go back there and pick right up where I left off!

• 1 year later...
On 5/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, dennyjones said:

We have an inversion table and frequent use has helped me considerably.   Other than hearing bones in my neck pop, I don't think golf has had any affect.

I have bulging herniations in my lower back (L4/L5 and L5/S1) and neck (C3/C4), and I have an inversion table, I use Teeter brand. It helps me, but I use it sparingly, as I'm concerned about too much inversion and the consequences that can have for capillary damage in the brain (I'm over 50).

Two things affect my neck more than anything - my posture (especially when reading, using my tablet/smartphone, etc), and my sleeping position. One I have immediate control over, the other one, not so much. I recently got a memory foam pillow, though, and that seems to have helped out a lot with the sleeping position issues.

I use one of those inflatable horse collar pillows when I fly. I look like a nerd, but f*** it, I need the neck support. I've thought about getting one of those foam neck brace collars, if for no other reason I can scam my way into early boarding. But I digress....

This is a very touchy subject, because the variables are so many, and everything is so individualistic. You need to learn as much as possible about what your specific condition is and learn what works best for you and your life.

Hope this helps

Once you have ruled out any serious medical conditions I also suggest that you give a chiropractor a try.  I have had back and neck issues for over 30 years and it definitely has helped me.  Good luck!

Zombie post??? (Raised from the dead)

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 1498 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!