IGNORED

Your First Set of Clubs

fishgolf
Note: This thread is 1230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A full starter set of Wilson deep reds. I fell in love the the red wood heads and 3 wood was by and way my favourite club. Only got rid of it this year after 17 years. The fitted replacement was a major step forward and was the right decision.

Ping Eye 2 black dots....used them for about 10 years. Had the woods also.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My first set of golf clubs was a TopFlite junior set, which I got when I was 10. This set had a driver, 5 wood and hybrid, 7- and 9-irons, sand wedge and putter. We still have one or two clubs from that set around the house somewhere...

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Still playing my first set I bought off of marketplace, Callaway X20 tour irons with Big Bertha 3 & 5 wood. I filled out the bag from Callaway pre-owned throughout the season with an Epic driver, 4H, lob wedge and Odyssey Marxsman putter. They have served me well, but am looking to upgrade this coming season. 

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

I think I've told this story many times on this forum. My first set of clubs were a boxed set of Knight Centauri Clubs. The set came with driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 3-9 iron, PW, a putter and a bag. All packed neatly in a box. I often tell the story that I bought it on the way to the golf course. In truth I think I actually bought it on lunch break before heading to the golf course after work. 

The company I worked for had a Tuesday Night Golf League. It was my first job out of college. I was told that morning that I should play in the league that night. So, I purchased clubs on lunch and I was off an rolling. If memory serves I bought them at a place called MC Sports, which doesn't exist any more. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer
Misspelled Centauri

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Shortly after my dear friend took me out to a local executive course for my first round, I hopped on Craigslist to see what I could get cheap.

Turned out a fella across town had just received a brand new set of Nike clubs and was unloading his Dunlop DMTs. Got his whole bag 1W, 3W, 5W, 3I-PW and putter for $80. Used those clubs for the first two or three years. 

Still have most of those clubs in the garage. Lost the PW and the 7I had an unfortunate encounter with a tree root. 

Edited by mcanadiens

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

...the 7I had an unfortunate encounter with a tree root. 

Ahh, the old euphemism for "snapped over the knee".  My son played 2 years on the high school golf team with my old Callaways.  He had quite the temper and many an encounter with a "tree root".  Even in the center of the fairway.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Ahh, the old euphemism for "snapped over the knee".  My son played 2 years on the high school golf team with my old Callaways.  He had quite the temper and many an encounter with a "tree root".  Even in the center of the fairway.

Now, I'm not claiming that I never broke a club in anger, but not that particular one. 

Was playing in 35-degree weather and hit a pretty crappy low slice near a tree. Should have just rolled the ball out of there, but instead  I took a big honking swing at that bastard and damn near fell on my ass after the club head sheared off. The shaft itself was fine. Must have had the stupidest look on my face watching that thing fly off toward the hole. It went straighter than the ball did anyway.

Edited by mcanadiens

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Should have just rolled the ball out of there.  Yep.  At 35 degrees I'm guessing it wasn't even handicap season...

Ah no. 

That was well before I ever thought to keep a handicap in the first place.

Edited by mcanadiens

As I only "officially" picked up golf about 3 years ago, I have fond memories of the first set I played.  It was a mishmash of 3i-9i irons (Spalding, MacGregor, Lynx, Northwestern) and true woods (w/steel shafts) - Spalding and Northwestern.  They were a combination of clubs my father-in-law had and what a friend had gifted me in the late 90's.  They are the department store irons of that time for sure.  I quickly "updated" to a set of Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scotts from the late 80's.  Those were fun to hit, not super long but consistent.  These days I play either the Titleist 962's w/Rifle 6.0 shafts (a 2-SW thrift shop steal at $30 for all (including new Golf Pride Grips)) or Callaway Diablo Edge 5i-PW (an Ebay $50 steal - no one wanted because they needed new grips) Graphite shafts A-Flex.  For me the 962's are things of beauty, slightly larger heads than the 845s, but no where as clunky feeling/looking as the Diablos. 

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Note: This thread is 1230 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!