IGNORED

Practice vs. Playing

Kaos
Note: This thread is 2115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Curious about how much you all practice vs. play.  A little background about me since I am new here is that my goal is to get to scratch. I am 34 and taken golf somewhat serious the past 2 years - that is that I actually joined a club and played more than once a year. I used to play professional in another sport so never really played much golf but I was fortunate enough that I took lessons when I was a kid (around 7/8). Playing once a year or so from the age of 10 on kept me around a mid 80’s player, sometimes better, sometimes worse. About 3 years ago I tore my Achilles so got away from the other sports I was doing and got really into golf, joined a club, and in a league. My first handicap was around a 12 and since then I play on average 60-70 times a year with this year being more (about 40 rounds thus far). 

I never really practice other than getting to the course 45 mins or so before my tee time and warming up. I am a 3.8 currently (was down to a 2 last year before my kid was born) and trending lower - GHIN is showing my average round is 78. However, I think I have just got away without practicing from the muscle memory of a kid but I think I will need to put a bit of time in to get these few shots off now and get to scratch (if I can...). I recently got fit for all my bag and invested in all new clubs, which took me a while to get used to but I am shooting well again. I am a big guy (6f3, 220) but not long in my driver. I am probably around 270-280. I have a 3/4 swing as my full as I lose control otherwise. My driver swing speed was 118-120 at Edwin Watts, which seemed BS since I do not see that kind of distance so when I got fitted professionally I was around 100, which seems appropriate. I think I am long on my irons though as my 7 iron carries around 180-185 now with my new irons (about 1/2 longer than where I was before).

Anyway, sorry for being long winded there, just trying to give an idea. Although I am a low single digit golfer, I consider myself very inexperienced so just looking for some advice on what I should plan for to knock the last 2/3 shots off. 

Thanks.

There’s numerous threads like this, but always good to have a new perspective on things.

At one point, I endorsed playing and practice on the course only. I got to a certain level of playing, and did okay back then.

Now, I just don’t have the time to play that much. So, I spend a day or two on the range, play maybe once a week, hike three times a week and workout on the Drive 400 program. I focus on technique and mobility.

My long game is much stronger now than my short, but it’s a lot more fun for me. Most groups I go out with hit multiple shots to get to the greens and it’s rare for me to not be near the greens in regulation even though I rarely use my driver off the tee. Near the greens, I suck. I shoot anywhere from low 80s to low 90s.

So, if I cared about my score, then I suck at golf...since I don’t, I can simply enjoy playing when I have the time.

It really depends upon your expectations. Mine aren’t that high, and I’m not going to have a fit if I 3 putt.

Your swing speed and distances are more or less like my Son’s, and he kind of expects to score like you do, but since he’s a full time college student I tell him bogey golf is fine...no need to get upset.

So, given practice or play. Long game needs more practice and short game needs more play...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf is a game of endless practice while achieving goals requires small increments of improving while maintaining current levels.
Playing can be the benchmark of improvement, while playing is more fun than practicing, accomplishments are obtainable with practice.
Most want to play better without dedicated practice and often never achieve goals.
Golf is also a game which requires an abundant of "Ones Time and Expense" which deters many.
It's a difficult means to manage the balance of improving or simply accept and enjoy playing whenever one can.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

You're hoping to go from 4 to scratch, four of the most difficult strokes in golf.  Without seeing your game, or hearing from you about specific weaknesses, chances are you'll need to improve a little bit in every facet.  How do you do that?  You can practice what you do now, become more consistent with whatever workarounds you currently use, but there will be a limit to how good you'll get that way.  You can get good instruction to improve your full swing game, work hard to ingrain the necessary changes, and improve your potential.  No matter what, I believe that you'll need significant practice time.  You can do drills to improve your putting, you can work on short game shots.  You've come a long way based on natural athletic ability, but I have a feeling you're going to need instruction and practice to get to your goal.

I'm not a huge practice guy, but I do try to get in two sessions a week, maybe 45 minutes each.  I'm still working on a swing change that started last Spring.  I play Saturday and Sunday, and 9 holes most Tuesdays.  I enjoy all of it, but I doubt I have the dedication to do any more than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

At my age, I practice more than I play. Not so much to improve my game, but to be able to play well, longer. My best golf swing is in my rear view mirror of time. That said, my practice allows me to keep my per hole, over all average, below 5 strokes. 

I am still averaging around 30 holes a week of actual play.

My practice routine is all about hitting different shots. Only on a few occasions will I use a slow drill, and even then, only when something silly starts to creep into my swing. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

You hit your 7 iron 180+. That is very long and is an inherent advantage but can you rattle off 30 consecutive 7-irons with very little variation to that distance (add lateral dispersion and shot shape consistency to that)? You got to build in heavy repetition to reduce shot dispersion.

If you have the luxury of time, you should absolutely develop a love for quality range work along with actual course play. 

Vishal S.

I play handicap 2 when i don´t practice at all. Just play 18 holes once or twice a week without warm up.

Last year i took it a little more serious and i started to practice once or twice a week and warmup short game before the rounds on weekend. I lowered my handicap to +1. 

I quit practice sessions on 2018 and now i´m almost in 2 handicap again.  

Hope it help!

• Informative 1

31 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

You hit your 7 iron 180+. That is very long and is an inherent advantage but can you rattle off 30 consecutive 7-irons with very little variation to that distance (add lateral dispersion and shot shape consistency to that)?

I don’t agree with rattling off 30 consecutive shots as being really good practice. Might me better off switching clubs and such? Definitely not one right after another. The dispersion will be unnaturally lower if be does one right after the other?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I don’t agree with rattling off 30 consecutive shots as being really good practice.

V was only making a comparison, not a routine.
His remark was a question - "but can you rattle off 30 consecutive 7-irons with very little variation to that distance" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Club Rat said:

His remark was a question - "but can you rattle off 30 consecutive 7-irons with very little variation to that distance" 

Ah, that makes more sense, but it still doesn’t prove anything to rattle off 30 shots in a row.

IMO, shot dispersion is really only meaningful on the course.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

38 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Ah, that makes more sense, but it still doesn’t prove anything to rattle off 30 shots in a row.

IMO, shot dispersion is really only meaningful on the course.

Its hard to achieve good dispersion on the course without being able to achieve it on the range first.  I'm not suggesting that hitting 30 shots in a row with a single club is the most effective way to practice, but its a good thing to work towards consistent results on the range.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 hours ago, Kaos said:

Curious about how much you all practice vs. play.  A little background about me since I am new here is that my goal is to get to scratch. I am 34 and taken golf somewhat serious the past 2 years - that is that I actually joined a club and played more than once a year. I used to play professional in another sport so never really played much golf but I was fortunate enough that I took lessons when I was a kid (around 7/8). Playing once a year or so from the age of 10 on kept me around a mid 80’s player, sometimes better, sometimes worse. About 3 years ago I tore my Achilles so got away from the other sports I was doing and got really into golf, joined a club, and in a league. My first handicap was around a 12 and since then I play on average 60-70 times a year with this year being more (about 40 rounds thus far). 

I never really practice other than getting to the course 45 mins or so before my tee time and warming up. I am a 3.8 currently (was down to a 2 last year before my kid was born) and trending lower - GHIN is showing my average round is 78. However, I think I have just got away without practicing from the muscle memory of a kid but I think I will need to put a bit of time in to get these few shots off now and get to scratch (if I can...). I recently got fit for all my bag and invested in all new clubs, which took me a while to get used to but I am shooting well again. I am a big guy (6f3, 220) but not long in my driver. I am probably around 270-280. I have a 3/4 swing as my full as I lose control otherwise. My driver swing speed was 118-120 at Edwin Watts, which seemed BS since I do not see that kind of distance so when I got fitted professionally I was around 100, which seems appropriate. I think I am long on my irons though as my 7 iron carries around 180-185 now with my new irons (about 1/2 longer than where I was before).

Anyway, sorry for being long winded there, just trying to give an idea. Although I am a low single digit golfer, I consider myself very inexperienced so just looking for some advice on what I should plan for to knock the last 2/3 shots off. 

Thanks.

I would give Lowest Score Wins a read. From strategy to practice to swing improvement, imho, I think there might be a thing or two in there that would help.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I personally don't think there is anything to be gained or understood by saying "This is how much you should practice vs play". I think it varies widely across the spectrum. I do think newer players should spend more time on the range learning the body mechanics. When they start spending more time on the course it is less frustrating.

🍩🧇

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Its hard to achieve good dispersion on the course without being able to achieve it on the range first.  I'm not suggesting that hitting 30 shots in a row with a single club is the most effective way to practice, but its a good thing to work towards consistent results on the range.

Exactly.    

Vishal S.

Some very good points and some great advice. Very much appreciate the input. 

My weakness is probably my driver to be honest and is the thing I hit the least on the limited range time I do. I could probably not impact my score if I didn’t have my driver in my bag at all but I need to get better with it. You all gave me something to think about so I very much appreciate it. 

7 minutes ago, Kaos said:

Very much appreciate the input. 

I forgot to mention  "Welcome to the Sand Trap" :beer:

19 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Sure, but that’s not a good metric for anything other than placating the ego of the person making the challenge.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Back on topic...

Very much anecdotal, but the OP seems to be looking for examples...

Given that I don’t play much these days, and that my long game seems to have suffered the least, I would conclude that long game is mostly practice and short game requires a lot more play.

My short game was really strong when I played daily, and my long game had not been developed very well. I scored low because of my short game. Up and downs were reasonable within 40 yards.

Now my short game is horrible, but because I practice even 5 minutes a day and range twice or so that my long is strong even though my short game is terrible. So, I don’t score so well.

My son is the same case, and was about the same skill level as the OP and hits the same distances. 6 months from the game and he plays terrible overall even though he’s got a high swing speed.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!