IGNORED

Par 3 etiquette

Ceeeeej
Note: This thread is 2074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was at my local course today, there was two groups of 4 in front of us. On the par 3, 13th hole the group in front waived the group behind to hit their balls to the green. Even though the first group had not even finished around the green. I have never seen that before and made a note to mention it to the pro at the pro shop. He then told me that it’s a tactic to speed up play, I still feel like that was BS and only slowed things down. What do y’all think?? Anyone herd of this tactic?

Edited by Ceeeeej

5 hours ago, Ceeeeej said:

I was at my local course today, there was two groups of 4 in front of us. On the par 3, 13th hole the group in front waived the group behind to hit their balls to the green. Even though the first group had not even finished around the green. I have never seen that before and made a note to mention it to the pro at the pro shop. He then told me that it’s a tactic to speed up play, I still feel like that was BS and only slowed things down. What do y’all think?? Anyone herd of this tactic?

Welcome to The Sand Trap. It can help pace of play if the next hole opens up. But I agree, it can slow it down if the next hole is backed up.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I was growing up, this used to be pretty common, at least where I played.  I don't see it done nearly as much any more.   If I remember right, its really not very effective in speeding up play, since it requires the group on the green to actually slow down.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

This was common practice on a course I played in Dayton. There is a nasty uphill par 3, about 165 yards, not considering it being 2-3 clubs uphill. Most people don't make it to the green. There is severe drop off on the right side, and a bunker on the left side of the green. It would be common to allow the people on the tee to hit up, and while they walk and drive up the hill, the group on the green finish putting. It did really help speed up play.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have seen this a number of times.  The reasoning is it speeds up play.  I'm not sure that is true however.  Like a chain is no stronger than the weakest link, you can't play faster than the slowest group in front of you.  But I wouldn't argue that it speeds up the flow on that Par 3, it probably does.  Then you can sit on the next tee waiting to tee off as up there somewhere is the slowest group on the course.

Butch

I don't think it was started to "speed up play".. It was probably started by some club cronies who waved up their buddies to put pressure on them, and so they could make fun of the resulting shots. 

Local course has a known hot spot- a longish par 3 that ALWAYS seems to have 2 groups waiting. People used to wave everyone up, then sit around when the NEXT tee had 2 groups waiting around. Now- there is no "waving up" and once past this bottleneck, holes tend to open up a bit.

10 hours ago, Ceeeeej said:

My home course tried that and tracked round times for a full season (part of the starter's job there is to track round times anyway so it wasn't anything different than we ever did).  It had no discernible effect on pace of play.  Unless the hole has an unusually long route from tee to green, nothing is gained, and generally players just end up waiting elsewhere.  For most groups I've played in, waiting at the green for the group on the tee to hit is as long a delay as waiting on the tee for the group to putt out.  All you do is move the wait to another point on the course, often it's the next tee.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1 hour ago, RayG said:

I don't think it was started to "speed up play".. It was probably started by some club cronies who waved up their buddies to put pressure on them, and so they could make fun of the resulting shots. 

Yeah pretty sure thats not true. :doh:

It should only be used for really long par 3's or I've seen people do it for driveable par 4's so the trailing group can begin the long trek to the green while the group in front putts out. Not entirely sure if it's effective in keeping up the pace of play.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

We waived a twosome on last Friday.  I was playing in a foursome.

The course was dead, so it made no sense to have this twosome behind us.  Plus, they were better golfers than we were.

On 8/15/2018 at 7:46 AM, DaveP043 said:

When I was growing up, this used to be pretty common, at least where I played.  I don't see it done nearly as much any more.   If I remember right, its really not very effective in speeding up play, since it requires the group on the green to actually slow down.  

Same for me. It was also common at my primary course in San Jose during the 1980’s. I’ve never seen it done at the courses I play in the Baltimore area now. 

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

I'll do it if holes are open in front of us, and if our walking group is holding up a group of riders. I will not do it if the course is full, and there is no place for the following group to go.

Note: This thread is 2074 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!