Sign in to follow this  
1badbadger

Do You Hit Full Shots With High Lofted Wedges?

28 posts / 2733 viewsLast Reply

I hit full shots with all my wedges including the 60 and 64.  I know they are always within a foot of their ball mark.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I don't usually hit full shots with my 56° or 60°. Once in a while I'll have to launch it high and fast over a tree or something and for some reason I can't punch it under, but that's rare.

I hit my gap wedge full alright but my highest lofted club is a 56° and i dont really like hitting it full. 3/4 swing at the most

I use 4 wedges: 44, 49, 54, 58. I never hit full shots with 54 or 58, and don't have a distance for them. I seldom use a full shot for the 44 or 49 either now. Since I've used 3/4 shots on most shots under 100 yards from the green, I've become more accurate and consistent.

There is a post here from a few years ago on flighted shots that explained this and the rationale for using 3/4 and 1/2 swings. The post was very helpful and influenced me a lot.

I carry 52,56, and 60 and very rarely hit even the 52 with a full swing; never with the 56 or 60. I have been working on longer swings in practice with the 56 and 60, but not on the course.

I am about to add a 53 gap wedge that matches my set, and will probably hit it full or close to it.

The highest lofted wedge I have is my SW, and I honestly don't know how many degrees of loft it has. All I know is it gets me out of bunkers! As for the PW, yes I hit full shots with it if I can hit it the distance called for. If I need a little less distance I'll open the face a smidge, and I can just slide the clubhead under the ball and not worry about digging or blading!

Every single day with my 56 degree.  110 out, with 56* is probably my most consistent shot in the bag. 

Edited by lastings

No. The shortest club i usually take a full swing with is a PW.  I can count on my hands the amount of times I've taken full swings with my 52 or 58 degree wedge this year during play. 

I carry a 60 degree as my highest lofted club and will take full swings for those 60 yard approachs and then partial swings for distances inside 60 yards.  

I usually have the most issues not with the full swing, but the half swing near the green or the quarter swing and have endangered a few squirrels and ankles... :)