IGNORED

Do You Hit Full Shots With High Lofted Wedges?

1badbadger
Note: This thread is 2072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The highest lofted wedge I hit full shots with is a 56*.  I carry a 60* wedge, but almost always use it for short game shots or up to about a 3/4 swing.  Does anyone hit full shots with a 60*, 62* or 64* wedge?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Generally, no. The ball behaves a bit too unpredictably. 3/4 60° shots are almost the max.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Absolutely not - In fact I don't often use my 54 for full shots unless I need to carry something, or there's no danger behind the green (unlikely). 

The energy needed to send a ball to the target with 60 degrees of loft could easily send the ball nearly twice the distance if caught a bit thin. Too much risk for me, although I'd do it more if my ball striking was more consistent. 

No, my highest loft is a 60 and with a 3/4 ish swing it normally goes 60 yards but nice and high. I usually only like to go to a half swing as i can be a little eratic at times with the ol' lob wedge.

If i need to get a certain distance with a wedge i prefer to club up a swing less.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

My highest lofted wedges are 54 and 58.  I hit full shots with the 54 but am considering dialing in a 3/4 PW swing to replace a full 54 swing.  58 is around the green and partial swings only.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

I don't think I've hit a full swing wedge shot in a few months. I find it better to keep everything 3/4 or less.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Almost never.  There would have to be a very specific "trouble shot" reason to do so with virtually no better option.

I seldom hit anything more lofted than PW full...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I used to hit full shots with my 60 degree, but like others have mentioned, I had a really tough time getting a consistent ball flight, distance, and turf interaction. Sometimes it would be spot on at 100 yds, other times the club would slide way under the ball and pop it up and only go like 70 yards.

I now use my 60 degree up to about 80 yds or so, and everything else up to about 115 yds is a softer, flighted 54 degree wedge. To my surprise, the lower flighted shots still have a good amount of spin on them and I haven't had any issue holding greens with them, which is what I was originally afraid of.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I've gained about 10 yards with my LW and SW (and about 5 yards throughout the bag) this year, so my full wedge game is in a big of flux lately since I don't really know how far a 3/4 SW goes right now. But I do occasionally hit full wedge shots. It's not ideal, though,

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Sometimes, depending on the distance and the conditions. I've started trying to hit partial shots to give myself more options of trajectory and spin. Still very early in the process but the results have been fairly good.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I hit pretty full shots with my 48° pitching wedge and my 52° wedge, and when I say full I don't mean going at it really hard. In a pinch I can take a full swing at my 56°, but I'd rather not, and the max for my 60° is about 3/4. Nothing good has ever come out of me hitting a high lofted wedge full out.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Very rarely with a 60 from closely mown, sometimes in heavy ruff and bunkers.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I have a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge.

With the 60, I might hit a full shot a few times a year, in a pretty specific situation. Otherwise it's mostly just for short game.

With the 56, my go-to range is 70-90 yards out, with the 90 yard being about 3/4 swing. Similar to the 60, there is a specific situation where I'll take a full go at it.

With the 52, my go-to range is 90-115 yards out, with the 115 being close to a full swing.

Generally, no I don't. However, there are times when I need a full swing lob wedge to get the job done. 

There is a hole at some course near Ft Worth, that if you miss the green, that green is about 15-20 feet above you, plus it could be sloping back towards you. That's a full swing LW for me. The old drop, and stop shot. Other times I might need to clear a hazard with a full swing wedge.

In most of my full swing wedge shots, I am looking for height, more so than distance. 

Because of the possibilities, I practice full swing shots with all my wedges. (58-60 degrees)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Generally, no. I'll hit full wedge shots with my 52° and that's about it.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Note: This thread is 2072 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!