IGNORED

How Do I Start Playing Golf When I Have No Friends to Play With?

adampaul
Note: This thread is 1985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Sorry, if you have no friends, you aren't allowed to golf.

It's in the rules.

There is a loophole to the rule, if you have imaginary friends. People cant discriminate against imaginary friends...Can they King Dave?

King Dave is shaking his head :-P 

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/4/2018 at 5:53 AM, adampaul said:

Hello Guys!!

How do I start playing golf when I have no friends to play with? Could you have any suggest me?

I had the same issue, none of my friends play golf and I was a bit apprehensive about going alone.

At some point you just have to say screw it and go play.  Now I enjoy it, you meet some really great people of a really wide range of skill level.  99% of the time they are just out there to have a good time, just like you.

• Like 1

I recently joined a country club and did not know one person at that club. Fast forward 6 months later after playing in some scrambles and just showing up and getting paired up...I now have a pretty large group of golfing buddies. Find a course where they have groups of guys who play and I guarantee you will make a bunch of new (good) friends.

• Like 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Thanks for your wonderful response. I will surely follow your suggestions in my life to take my game to next level. Hope this thread also help someone like me who has no friends in Golf. 

On 9/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, jmanbooyaa said:

You never need friends to golf.

That's actually part of why I got into golf in the first place. Most of my friends were still playing recreational soccer/football/softball and I needed a sport that wasn't going to put me out of work if I got hurt playing it. Golf was also something that I could do when it was convenient for my schedule.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Coming in first in FedEx and getting picked for the Ryder Cup is a good start, Bryson.  Don't be so hard on yourself.

Kidding aside, having some confidence in your game will make the 'social' side easier, because you won't feel like you're burdening others with your poor playing.  I like the idea of getting lessons from a local pro and talking to him/her about wanting to find people to golf with.

Being in Florida, you're not going to have trouble finding golfers.  Welcome to the greatest sport on earth.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

12 hours ago, billchao said:

That's actually part of why I got into golf in the first place. Most of my friends were still playing recreational soccer/football/softball and I needed a sport that wasn't going to put me out of work if I got hurt playing it. Golf was also something that I could do when it was convenient for my schedule.

Yes, do agree with you and well said. 

• iacas changed the title to How Do I Start Playing Golf When I Have No Friends to Play With?
  • 1 month later...

no practice swings. no crying after your shot.  pick up after you reach double or triple bogey.  observe where better golfers stand how quiet they are when others are hitting.  when in doubt just hit it instead of wondering who is out.  If you do these things people will seek you out to play golf.

If you’re new to the game TAKE LESSONS FIRST. Don’t try to “get good enough for lessons” I wish someone knew to send me to lessons when I started (I was young) Also once you can shoot in the 80’s join a game/league/group. A lot of us probably know over 200 people we would have never known if we didn’t play. Last thing. If you pick a “hot deal” on something like golf now, they might just pair you up. Look for hot deals with 2 spots remaining to weasel your way in lol.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Also once you can shoot in the 80’s join a game/league/group.

You can join a league well before you're good enough to shoot in the 80s.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

In the work league I played in three years ago, only about 5 people were able to shoot in the 80.    Everyone still had fun

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I agree with most of the other respondents. Once you put yourself out-there you'll meet some of the nicest people on the planet. Golfers are almost always courteous and friendly. You will be in a regular group before you know it and you will find you can continue to play well into your late 70s or early 80s  (if your body will let you). I think it's the greatest game ever invented.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2018 at 6:53 AM, adampaul said:

Hello Guys!!

How do I start playing golf when I have no friends to play with? Could you have any suggest me?

If you’re in Santa Monica or Venice I’ll play with you. I play singles walk on as all my golfing buddies live a hour+ away

On 10/21/2018 at 2:10 PM, iacas said:

True dat! 

I agree with much that has been said above. Gain some level of competence before you take it to the course and attempt to join up with a 3 some. Group lessons are great for this, and if we have them in Youngstown, Ohio I bet they have them where you live! They start at beginner level with all the basics, including course etiquette. 

Also, learn to play quickly, and by that I don't mean hurrying. Just be ready when it's your turn! Golfers are generally forgiving of beginners, but after watching some hack take 5 minutes and 2 dozen practice swings to play a stroke, and then not hit the ball out of his shadow, you begin to develop the thousand yard stare! 

If you stick with it, I feel certain that you will discover the joys of solitary golf. Don't get me wrong, I love the camaraderie and banter that goes on in a group, but I played a ton of golf by myself and found that I could really "get into" my game. My mind would go quiet, and all that existed was myself and the course. It was almost like meditation. Intense concentration is possible without the distraction of others.

I wish you luck in all your pursuits.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:59 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Dont look so creepy...

Seriously though, you don't need friends to play and enjoy golf. At its core, it is a solitary game. As others have said, you can always get on and going a group as a single at nearly any muni or public course if you desire some camaraderie. Even during peak times it shouldn't be a problem. 

That was hilarious !

Note: This thread is 1985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!