IGNORED

Driver Shaft Help Needed

Note: This thread is 2022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So im going to be buying a new shaft for a driver i bought. dont like the shaft at all. its a :titleist:915D head. When i cut the shaft how should i measure it? I need a 43 inch shaft, thats what i was fitted for. So is that measurement from the tip of the adapter to the end of the shaft before i put the grip on? Or do i cut the shaft at 43" then put the adapter on? Thanks in advance :beer:

Are you saying you need a 43 inch driver because that is what you were fitted for, or are you saying you measured the current shaft in the adaptor and that measured out at 43 inches? If it's a 43 inch final length driver, then just assemble it, then measure to get to 42 3/4 length. The grip will add that last 1/4 inch. If you are saying 43 inch shaft to match the old one just measure the shaft without the head. 

Let me know if you need more details about how or where to cut.

im fitted for 43. the one now is like 45 i believe. im not home right now to check. so i add the adapter and measure from the end of the adapter up to 42 3/4? and im thinking of using a dremel or a grinder? i know i have to tape it a few times to prevent splintering

Okay so 43 inch total length. Assuming you are around 5ft8 or under because 43 inch driver is pretty short (2 inches under standard). So epoxy the shaft into the adaptor, install the adaptor in the head, and then measure to the 42 3/4. Best way to measure if you don't have a specific club ruler is to set the club down as it would when you hit it, put the ruler under the shaft up against it with the end touching the ground and measure up. As far as cutting goes, a dremel will work but I would probably recommend just using a hack saw with a newer blade if you have not done this before. Just wrap about 2 layers of masking tape over the cutting area and use a smooth saw stroke with light pressure. Should take about 30-40 seconds to cut through.

Just fyi cutting the club down this much will make it feel much lighter. May need to add some weight to the head to get the swing weight back up.

If that is what you were fitted for I would say that is probably pretty close based on just your height. Drivers always give some wiggle room because most people technically play longer than what they are fitting wise supposed to. They make drivers 45 inches or more, but the measurements would say most people should be around 43 1/2 inches. If you are looking for more consistency go with 43. If you want a little more distance (at least in theory) go 43 1/2 or 44. 

Again just pay attention to the swing weight because cutting 2 inches will drop an entire letter on the swing weight scale, so be prepared to add some weight back with lead tape or something. Could also go with a lighter grip to help a little at least.

Be advised.  Not all driver/fairway shafts are butt trim only.  Look up the shaft trimming recommendations before you affix the adapter.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the help folks. One more question then I’ll leave y’all alone. Since I’ve only been fitted for driver. Im assuming I should probably go ahead and trim my irons down 1/4 to 1/2 under standard length. I know it’s not exact but I’ll just start with the 1/4 and hit some shots and go down to 1/2. But what does everyone think I should go with?

I would do a wrist to floor measurement. Still in my opinion the best place to start with club length. Measure from the break in your wrist to the floor while just in regular standing posture, not golf stance. Have someone else measure because the numbers can get thrown off when you do it yourself. 34 to 36 is considered standard. 33 or less and I would cut down a half inch (or 37.5 inch 5 iron). I know some people will tell you to cut it at quarter inch intervals at some points but I really don't think it is worth the time and effort for 1/4 inch. Basically you want to make sure that you are comfortable with your set up posture especially with your short irons. Grab your PW and choke down 1/2 inch and hit some balls. If it feels comfortable then the longer clubs won't be an issue.

ive got a story for everyone. i was a little loopy on pain meds. (wisdom tooth extraction). I cut 2 inches off my 3 wood instead of my driver. not hard when you have a :titleist: 915d2 and 915f2. I wont be able to hit it for a couple days. You guys think ill be okay or should i order another shaft while im down and cant play?

2 inches on the 3 wood is probably more than you want. Would think 1 inch at most. Do not operate heavy machinery or shaft cutting tools while under the influence.

This should help those who are not sure how to measure a club:

1000715795_clubmeasuring.jpg.3bb1d6cb7e833eb67c14307e954876b1.jpg

As far as shortening your irons, I would suggest starting with 1 or 2 clubs (one short iron and one mid iron) and testing them first rather than doing the entire set.  Start with 1/4" and try them..  If they are still too long, trim another 1/4" and try again.  When you have them dialed in, then do the rest of the set.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I'm just under 5'9" and I use a 43 inch driver as well. It's given me much more control.

I trimmed my shaft as well but did not add any more weight to the head. Maybe I should?

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

On 9/9/2018 at 6:29 PM, Adam C said:

2 inches on the 3 wood is probably more than you want. Would think 1 inch at most. Do not operate heavy machinery or shaft cutting tools while under the influence.

Well said sir. Good thing it was a dull hack saw in a bench vise so it wasn’t that dangerous. I was helping my grandpa the other day change his grips. And I kept telling him not to cut the grip towards him.... so you all know what happens. The blade slipped out the grip. Went in his stomach and made a 3 inch gash. It was a roofing/hook blade. So you already know it made some damage. Had to go to the er and get it glued. 

22 hours ago, SPJr said:

I'm just under 5'9" and I use a 43 inch driver as well. It's given me much more control.

I trimmed my shaft as well but did not add any more weight to the head. Maybe I should?

I added some weight to mine. The big one. I think it was a 17g weight. Titleist 915D2 come with a weight port than can be changed during fittings. It was a 6g when I got it with standard shaft length. I noticed I lost a few mph in swing speed with 2 inches trimmed off so I added some weight to the head and it brought it back up. Now I think I’m driving longer than ever. (Until I got in this funk I’m in with severe duck hooks)

Note: This thread is 2022 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!