IGNORED

Your State's Sports Mt. Rushmore

Papa Steve 55
Note: This thread is 1962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

http://www.worldgolfhalloffame.org/sam-snead/

This says that Snead was born in Ashwood, VA.  He worked as a youngster, and then as a pro, at the Homestead, in Hot Springs.  It was only later that he became pro at the Greenbrier in WV.  I imagine that both states would be proud to claim him.

My bad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This says that Snead was born in Ashwood, VA.  He worked as a youngster, and then as a pro, at the Homestead, in Hot Springs.  It was only later that he became pro at the Greenbrier in WV.  I imagine that both states would be proud to claim him.

But was he born when they were one state?? Hmmm? (just a 'your so old' joke).:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

56 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Joan is a great pick though!

:-) yes she is.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

From left to right I'd have Bobby Jones, Ty Cobb, Hulk Hogan, and Jackie Robinson.  I'm counting on the eloquence of Jones, and the bulk of Hogan, to keep the lid on the other two.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Alabama

Paul "Bear" Bryant -- born in Arkansas, but impossible to leave him off a sports list about Alabama
Henry "Hank" Aaron -- Mobile, AL
Carl Lewis -- Birmingham, AL (9 Olympic Golds)
Vincent "Bo" Jackson -- Bessemer, AL (about 10 miles from my house growing up...played for our HS's rival)

Joe Louis (boxer) -- Don't know how I can leave him off, really.  Probably should replace Bo, but Bo was in my lifetime so I still have all those highlights in my head. 

I'm likely being an idiot and forgetting someone major-important.  I'll blame a bad head cold and serious lack of sleep.  ;-)

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

23 hours ago, BamaWade said:

I'm likely being an idiot and forgetting someone major-important.  I'll blame a bad head cold and serious lack of sleep. 

You can't leave Bo off. 

I get the thing about Bear Bryant, but I think Joe Louis has got to be there. It's a really tough call who you'd leave off.

The biggest guy you didn't mention was Willie Mays, Westfield, AL. 

On 9/28/2018 at 8:46 AM, mcanadiens said:

I'll go with:

Jack Nicklaus, Columbus

Jesse Owens, Cleveland

Paul Brown, Massillon

Ken Griffey Jr., Cincinnati

* By athletic achievement Pete Rose would be there, but I can't have him. 

Jack Nicklaus

Jesse Owens

Lebron James

My 4th is a tossup between these 2 

1. Archie Griffin - 3x all american at OSU, 2x heisman trophy winner
  2. Roger Staubach - Heisman trophy winner, 2 super bowl wins

Lebron is a no-brainer IMO. He's arguably the best basketball player to ever play the game and he's still adding to the legacy, multiple championships including one in Cleveland, has given millions of dollars back to his hometown/community, doesnt get in trouble, speaks out on social issues, etc etc.

There are a number of others I considered, like Bobby Knight, Woddy Hayes, Don Shula, but I wanted to keep my list to only players.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

13 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The biggest guy you didn't mention was Willie Mays, Westfield, AL. 

Yeah, I did remember Mays being from AL (Birmingham area), but for some reason I just know a lot more about Hank.  Maybe it's being a Braves fan, or the long-held home run record (and that iconic footage)...or just plain baseball history-ignorance on my part.  I agree -- tough call.  Really, hard to leave off any of the 6.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

21 minutes ago, klineka said:

Lebron is a no-brainer IMO. He's arguably the best basketball player to ever play the game and he's still adding to the legacy, multiple championships including one in Cleveland, has given millions of dollars back to his hometown/community, doesnt get in trouble, speaks out on social issues, etc etc.

There are a number of others I considered, like Bobby Knight, Woddy Hayes, Don Shula, but I wanted to keep my list to only players.

Yeah. Ok. 

I let my bias against basketball, and the NBA in particular, cause me to omit LeBron. Griffey would be the one out. That was silly of me.

Cough. ... Screw the NBA. Cough, cough.

Keeping it to players is your choice, but the influence of Paul Brown was massive and would have to be recognized on Ohio's Sports Mt. Rushmore. 

• Administrator

Without narrowing it down much at all:

• Wilt Chamberlain
  • Arnold Palmer
  • Johnny Unitas
  • Joe Montana
  • Josh Gibson
  • Honus Wagner
  • Dan Marino
  • Bill Tilden
  • Stan Musial
  • Christy Mathewson
  • Joe Namath
  • Larry Holmes
  • Tony Dorsett
  • Eddie Plank
  • Reggie Jackson
  • George Blanda
  • Nellie Fox
  • Earl Monroe
  • Roy Campanella
  • Betsy King
  • Mario Andretti
  • Fred Biletnikoff
  • Joe McCarthy
  • Mike Powell
  • Mike Piazza
  • Art Rooney
  • Willie Mosconi
  • Mike Ditka
  • Jim Kelly
  • Dick Groat
  • Ken Griffey Sr.

My votes (for now) are in bold.

Not a lot of hockey players. Yet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 8:00 AM, DaveP043 said:

Yup! Snead went to Greenbrier when they offered him more money!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll try

Duke Kahanamoku

Eddie Aikau

Shane Victorino

Ted Makalena

iSank

in 15 years maybe Marcus Mariotta 

in 20 years maybe Tua Tagovailoa 

Narrowed down to Ted, Duke, Shane and me.

looks good to me.

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Note: This thread is 1962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!