Jump to content
FrivolouslyWasted

Ball Striking Is Improving, but Scores Are Not

32 posts / 2608 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

On 10/10/2018 at 4:46 PM, FrivolouslyWasted said:

Even when I do seemingly everything in my power to take the worst outcome out of play,

That's your issue.  You were focusing on the potential for a bad outcome.  Always think about where you want that little white devil to go and not where you don't want it to go.  If you do the latter, you already hit a bad shot before you've even swung the club from a psychological standpoint.  Stop doing that and you just might be surprised.  Keep it positive mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

On 10/17/2018 at 8:54 PM, Hacker James said:

not scientific, but I read an article somewhere claiming the brain will disregard certain words in context. For example, you might say or think "Do NOT hit in the water"....The brain then ignores the negataive modifiers DO NOT, and therefore is left with "Hit in the water".  Or DON'T go right...….and of course you GO RIGHT.

My idiot brain does this, I think. Played 9 yesterday and while I didn’t lose any OB or in the water, I did manage to place my drives on the bad side of almost every dogleg fairway I played. 1st hole - can’t miss left or trees block the green. So I snap hook my drive left. A few holes later, trees block the green to the right, and I push my drive right.

 

The scores are starting to come down though. Perhaps I was being a bit impatient. I’m definitely reducing my really bad strikes, although bad habits still creep back in more than I’d like. Yet again I had quite a few really good strikes, just not enough club. Now that I’m gaining confidence in my swing, especially with my irons, I need to start turning up the power a little bit. 

 

Driver and wedges are probably what what I need to work the most now. I’m fairly content with the progress in my full swing irons and putting. I’ll probably get a net in the near future so I can work in the backyard through the winter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2018 at 8:54 PM, Hacker James said:

not scientific, but I read an article somewhere claiming the brain will disregard certain words in context. For example, you might say or think "Do NOT hit in the water"....The brain then ignores the negataive modifiers DO NOT, and therefore is left with "Hit in the water".  Or DON'T go right...….and of course you GO RIGHT.

 

24 minutes ago, FrivolouslyWasted said:

My idiot brain does this, I think. Played 9 yesterday and while I didn’t lose any OB or in the water, I did manage to place my drives on the bad side of almost every dogleg fairway I played. 1st hole - can’t miss left or trees block the green. So I snap hook my drive left. A few holes later, trees block the green to the right, and I push my drive right.

I agree with @Hacker James, this type of thought pattern can make you focus on the trouble, and most of us tend to hit it where we're focused.  Its completely logical to analyze each shot, and decide where the trouble is.  But the next step is to decide where you DO want the ball to go.  Once you've decided that, you can safely forget about the trouble, do your best to put it out of your mind.  Concentrate on your golf, the spot you've decided to hit the ball.  

Beyond that, I too like LSW, there's lots of great advice in evaluating your game, planning your practice time, and evaluating each shot you'll hit.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

But the next step is to decide where you DO want the ball to go.  Once you've decided that, you can safely forget about the trouble, do your best to put it out of your mind.  Concentrate on your golf, the spot you've decided to hit the ball.  

Agreed. There’s a difference between considering trouble and focusing on it.

I’d go as far as saying that focusing too much on trouble might even make us over-compensate to avoid it. Happens almost every time someone is standing close to my target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

Agreed. There’s a difference between considering trouble and focusing on it.

I’d go as far as saying that focusing too much on trouble might even make us over-compensate to avoid it. Happens almost every time someone is standing close to my target.

To build on that, and what @DaveP043 said, yeah, i think all the time "Okay, left is a pond and OB, so anywhere right is good."

I don't totally buy that "your brain can't process 'no' instructions."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/19/2018 at 9:57 AM, DaveP043 said:

I agree with @Hacker James, this type of thought pattern can make you focus on the trouble, and most of us tend to hit it where we're focused.  Its completely logical to analyze each shot, and decide where the trouble is.  But the next step is to decide where you DO want the ball to go.  Once you've decided that, you can safely forget about the trouble, do your best to put it out of your mind.  Concentrate on your golf, the spot you've decided to hit the ball. 

Yea, this is exactly what I meant by not thinking about it once my shot is selected. I've already shifted my shot zone away from trouble; the next step is focusing on hitting the ball where I expect it to go. Barring an egregious error (which happens), I won't be in trouble with my chosen shot.

The trouble is no longer on my mind because it's no longer expected to be in play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Update: it’s coming along. I perhaps need to be a bit more patient. 

 

It’s all about getting rid of the bad holes, staying focused and calm and not rushing myself. I’m absolutely getting better, but occasionally bad habits creep back in and they tend to cost me.

 

Today’s round is a perfect example. I went to the range to warm up, and was striping the ball really well. Then I went to play my round, and everything went wrong. My front 9 was so bad I quit keeping score. 

 

I regrouped mentally at the turn, and I started playing the golf that I’m always expecting myself to play. My first 6 holes on the back were bogey, par, double, and 3 consecutive pars. If I could have merely bogeyed the last two holes I would have shot 43 for the 9, which would have been far and away my best 9 ever. Instead I closed with consecutive 8s. I was 5 over through my first 7 holes on the back, and I played the last two holes in +8. I just couldn’t keep my last two tee shots in the fairway. Hit them both badly off the toe and hooked them. 

 

There was a lot of good to take away, especially on that back 9. It’s encouraging that I’m starting to string together long streaks of solid play (to my standard at any rate). The ball striking is definitely improving, but two bad swings of the driver cost me dearly, along with a couple of poor wedge shots. 

 

A few stats for the back nine: 5/8 fairways - missed the first and the last two, all left

3/9 GIR + 2 nGIR

4 pars, 1 bogey, 2 doubles, 2 quads 😞

18 putts- 1 one-putt, 1 three-putt, 7 two-putts

 

When I kept my tee shot in the fairway, I either had a GIR or nGIR. I’m playing pretty well from the fairway, but the rough can really penalize me. Most of my bad wedge shots also come either from green side rough, or bunkers. I’m still learning to adjust to the different types of lies I get in the rough, and my bunker play is all over the place.

 

The improvement with my irons over the course of the year has been very noticeable. I also putt decently, though there’s room to improve especially on speed. The driver and the wedges are what cost me the most strokes. Before my long hiatus from the game, my wedge play was pretty good, so I’m confident I can get that back. Driver has been the albatross of my game for most of my life. 

 

If I cut these last few bad swings from my rounds I think my scores will come way down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, FrivolouslyWasted said:

If I cut these last few bad swings from my rounds I think my scores will come way down.

No, I don't "think" your score will drop.  I know they will drop.  Hank Haney Cool-Aid: "What's you're big miss" approach and I can dig on that.  Blow up holes destroy rounds. We all have them in one form or another. I actually flew with Charles Barkley when he was on the phone with Hank before they shot the series.  We had an interesting conversation until he asked me what my handicap was.  Mine is nothing to brag about ( and don't believe it should be used as a blunt instrument to prove your view is correct ) but the conversation mellowed out.  Shame the focus has to be on that sort of thing when it's not about that.  Good luck with your game man!!  

Edited by RST Rebuild

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2018 at 12:04 PM, iacas said:

I’d go as far as saying that focusing too much on trouble might even make us over-compensate to avoid it. Happens almost every time someone is standing close to my target.

Spot on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FrivolouslyWasted,

Are you drinking on the course? That could affect your performance.  Seriously though, if only we could measure and account for everything when we have a blow up hole.  I think that our bodies and minds go in and out during a game.  We may think we are fine, but our back and legs have become more tense, which affects our swing. Some tips to try are to practice purposeful breathing and relaxation between shots, stay hydrated, eat a snack.   

Did you change your strategy on the blow up holes?  I'm working on discipling myself to play the same and not get overly confident at times and go for the green on two.

 

 

Edited by greatgolfahead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, greatgolfahead said:

Seriously though, if only we could measure and account for everything when we have a blow up hole.  I think that our bodies and minds go in and out during a game. 

It's just probability. A higher handicap golfer has a much higher probability of hitting a bad shot, which then makes it more likely to put back to back bad shots together. They are more likely to end up with penalty strokes, or end up in a bunker, which compound the issue. Nothing mental will allow that high handicap golfer to play better outside of realizing they need to practice the correct way.

52 minutes ago, greatgolfahead said:

Did you change your strategy on the blow up holes?  I'm working on discipling myself to play the same and not get overly confident at times and go for the green on two.

Gameplanning is important, but you can bit aggressive and safe at the same time. Advance the ball as far as possible taking out high probability of hitting the ball into a hazard/bunker. It is also knowing your shot zone.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, greatgolfahead said:

FrivolouslyWasted,

Are you drinking on the course? That could affect your performance.  Seriously though, if only we could measure and account for everything when we have a blow up hole.  I think that our bodies and minds go in and out during a game.  We may think we are fine, but our back and legs have become more tense, which affects our swing. Some tips to try are to practice purposeful breathing and relaxation between shots, stay hydrated, eat a snack.   

Did you change your strategy on the blow up holes?  I'm working on discipling myself to play the same and not get overly confident at times and go for the green on two.

 

 

As I have gotten better and more serious about my golf, I’ve been cutting back on the consumption on course. At the start of the year, golf was a fun opportunity to goof off outside with a few beers. Now I’ll typically bring two, but usually only drink one.

 

I’ve gotten better about opting for lower risk plays, especially if I've already played myself into trouble. Where overconfidence can rear up for me is after a string of good shots, I start feeling good about my swing and don’t stay properly focused. Then I seem to let my old swing habits creep back in.

 

I still need to film a swing to put on here. I’m sure there’s still things I can improve on, but I definitely think my new swing is way better than the one I started the year with. I’m playing to my expectations more frequently and for longer stretches and I feel like there’s a big drop in my scores just around the dogleg. Bummer that after all year of working on it, it’s starting to show right as it’s getting cold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2018 at 6:51 PM, FrivolouslyWasted said:

 

 

It’s all about getting rid of the bad holes, staying focused and calm and not rushing myself. I’m absolutely getting better, but occasionally bad habits creep back in and they tend to cost me.

 

Today’s round is a perfect example. I went to the range to warm up, and was striping the ball really well. Then I went to play my round, and everything went wrong. My front 9 was so bad I quit keeping score. 

 

I regrouped mentally at the turn, and I started playing the golf that I’m always expecting myself to play. My first 6 holes on the back were bogey, par, double, and 3 consecutive pars. If I could have merely bogeyed the last two holes I would have shot 43 for the 9, which would have been far and away my best 9 ever. 

😞

You and I sound alot alike. I can get from the tee to the green just fine, but it's just too many bad shots, bad drives, bad chips, chucked 40yd wedges, 3 putts that kill my score. I've quit keeping score several times after a few holes. And last week I quit altogether on the 5th hole. 

I shot a 43 on 9 a few weeks ago, which is by far my best 9 ever, but subsequent 9s there have been 47, 47, 53, and today 50. I hit the ball pretty good I feel, just too make mistakes in the short game is mostly what ruins my scores 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, paulballs said:

You and I sound alot alike. I can get from the tee to the green just fine, but it's just too many bad shots, bad drives, bad chips, chucked 40yd wedges, 3 putts that kill my score. I've quit keeping score several times after a few holes. And last week I quit altogether on the 5th hole. 

I shot a 43 on 9 a few weeks ago, which is by far my best 9 ever, but subsequent 9s there have been 47, 47, 53, and today 50. I hit the ball pretty good I feel, just too make mistakes in the short game is mostly what ruins my scores 

Well that's the life of a high hcper :) I can shot in the low 40s and high 50s on the same day. If I eliminate water and OB then I'm not scoring over 50, that's for sure. A few good drives and putts and I'm in the low 40s. A couple of OB/water hazards and a couple of 3 putts and I'm well over 50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2018 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
  • Posts

    • I have a slit-sole SW from another model year. If by chance you do, I'm interested!
    • Hi folks, So I wanted to do something a little fun. I've been a golfer on and off now for the last seven years. Three years ago, I had my best season (I started off averaging about 120, and by the end of the season, managed to start breaking 100 on a regular basis). Last year, due to financial limitations, I only played four rounds. This year, I'm going to be out there at least once a week!  So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to keep this thread going, and after each round at a course, or practice at the range, give everyone who wants to read it, an update with some thoughts, or ramblings about golf in general. So let's get this thing started: DAY 1: It's been close to year since I've been out to the range or a course. The weather was a nice 42 F with little rain, but some winds. I called my favorite little executive course and found out they're opening on Monday should the weather be good enough. I NEED to see if I can even remember how to swing a club. I grab my 7 iron, 4 iron, and driver and hit up the Royal Oak Golf Center.  I get the balls, stretch, and give a few practice swings with my 7 iron. I'm playing the same irons I bought 3 years ago, when I decided I wanted to be a "serious" golfer (whatever that means!). They're these Wilson Reflex Irons Dicks Sporting Goods sold me for about $250. I almost bought a set of Strata's that year, but decided I liked the way the Wilson's looked, and I was vaguely aware of the history of Wilson Staff irons, so it felt like a cool thing to get. They have this mat black polish around the head, with red offsetting the black.  I take five balls and line up for the first swing. It feels really awkward. I'm looking around at all the other golfers who seem to have flawless swings, and I'm nervous because I just know this isn't going to go well. There's this woman three or four lanes away from me and she's obviously just taken up the game, because she keeps topping the shots. Her boyfriend is trying to help her out, but she's just doing her thing. I smile and feel a little better about myself.  I focus on the ball and take my first swing. I top it and it flies like 30 yards down in front of everyone else's lane. It's like that scene in Tin Cup when he's first arriving at the driving range for the US Open and he can't seem to get rid of the shanks. I shank three, maybe ten more.  I step away and look around. Nobody cares, and then I remember I'm all alone. It doesn't matter at all. I need to find my swing, because I really want to start playing again. I line up behind another ball, take a deep breath, and have my first really good swing of the club. I can feel when it's a good swing, because it feels natural, and the ball seems to float up in the air, before landing and taking a bounce. I hit a few more with mixed results. I switch to the 4 iron. The 4 iron I'm hitting really well; 165 yards! I'm not understanding what the difference between why my swing is working with a 4 iron, but is hit or miss with the 7 iron. I switch to the driver (an old Olimar Tri Metal from the 90s), start off with huge slices. Switch back to the 4 iron; no issue. I'm really starting to wonder what's going on. I slow things down, and then make a discovery: right before the club contacts the ball, I'm breaking eye contact with every shot that's not using the 4 iron. With the 4 iron, I'm concentrating so much that I'm allowing myself to access swing mechanics appropriately. I go back to the 7 iron, remember to keep good eye contact, and every single one of the next 15 balls I hit end up at 130 yards and right at the spot I'm aiming. I go to the driver, repeat the same process, and I'm mostly hitting straight and at about 220 yards (still a slice on a few shots here and there, but overall much more consistent and a better feeling).  The end of the practice session was good, but the struggle was real for a while. Finding the swing was really hard because of the lack of practice in the last year or so. I had to constantly remind myself that this is a simple game; it's a simple thing. I think we tend to overthink the game, and the swing, too much. It's also helpful, I think, to remember that at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter all that much, because we're out there to have fun and enjoy life. I went to a few stores afterwards and looked at some nice things (bought some Wilson Staff Duo balls for the season and am looking for a Sunday bag because I want to walk courses not ride) and I'm really looking forward to the season. That first round is going to be a nightmare, but I don't care. I probably won't even keep score!  So, here's the three main takeaways: 1. The swing should feel natural. If it doesn't feel natural, you're doing it wrong.  2. This is a really simple game and it's helpful to remind oneself of that simplicity; keeping calm and cool is better than getting frustrated and upset. I don't think I understood that when I first starting playing. This is meant to be fun, not frustrating.  3. Keep you eye on the ball at all times and do not anticipate the contact between the club and the ball, otherwise you will pull, slice, top, shank, etc. Eye contact will certainly almost always give you a good and consistent result if your swing feels natural. 
    • Trucker, you are good enough to use one. Every shot requires a goal, not that you attain perfection.  If the pin is 5 from the back and long is bad, then my club choice (depending on wind....) would be, if I pured that club, it would just reach the pin.  If you think you are not good enough, chances are high the right mental approach can move you index 5 or more quickly. 
    • The DG you show is a Stiff flex. I don’t think they even make the DG steel in a senior flex. I wouldn’t base it on how it ‘feels.’ Go hit it and get some numbers.
    • Hi Joe, welcome back to TST.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Antneye
      Antneye
      (51 years old)
    2. CapM
      CapM
      (54 years old)
    3. Cardsfan
      Cardsfan
      (27 years old)
    4. Mr Golf Addict
      Mr Golf Addict
      (15 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...