IGNORED

Practice Pressure Putting

Note: This thread is 1998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been playing some light money rounds with a bunch of guys for about 6 months now and never realized how much guys can "choke" over a 3-5 foot putt. Then it came to me that they probably never practice putting under pressure so when it comes down to it... they fail. This is not to bash on these guys. They are a good bunch of guys, but seeing a 3 foot putt come up short and 6 inches offline makes you stop and think. I have a long history of billiard halls (pool halls for the northerners) in NY/NJ area before I moved to NC and picked up golf. Barely play pool at all now but the mentality of playing under pressure is always a thought. So i came up with a drill that I found helps to force me into a situation where consequences are a consideration when missing a putt similar to say, missing the 3 footer to save or close a 9. They have a name when i see guys rolling putts in from literally everywhere and then puke the greens when competing, they call it free stroking in pool. Don't be one of those guys.

I have an 11 foot mat that i putt on. Very straight so a straight putt goes in. Not trying to test my ability to read slopes. I'm trying to achieve a consistent putting stroke that goes straight so the mat needs to be true. Occasionally i will slide a strip of wood under the mat to create a slope from L to R or R to L. The mat is about 2 feet wide and i try to put in from the edge at each distance to avoid creating a track in the mat that could start guiding the ball. Also helps with visual alignment. I also have 1 foot increments, starting at 3 feet out from the cup, to the end of the mat for reference. The objective is simple:

Start putting at the 3 foot mark. If you make all 3 move to the 4 foot mark and start again. Keep going until you miss.

If you miss this is how i handle it. The point is to put yourself under pressure. I allow myself a choice of 1 "save putt" or go back 1 foot closer to the hole and try putting 3 times. If you make the "save" putt you stay at the hole you missed at and get to repeat the 3 putts. Miss during those 3 putts, you give yourself another "save" putt and try the 3 putt again. If you miss the "save" putt you go back 2 holes. That is the risk of trying the "save" putt. 

I have had good days where i needed a save putt 2 or 3 times, saved every one and made it to the 11 foot mark with a final 3 putt and home. Never had to go back a hole.

I have had bad days where i have been up and down the ladder and just can't get to the 11 foot mark.

If you can pull off 27 putts without a miss, you're a God and go show Speith how its done... LOL

So of course there are tons of options you can factor in to make the game interesting. My objective is to stay away from mindless "free stroking" putts with no care. This feeling of "I can make everything" will leave you quick in a money game. What ever is a option in the game that is within your abilities but enough to challenge you without utterly defeating you will carry over the greens. 

It has for me. I have heard some comments made about about me making putts when they count. Its a very good feeling. Builds confidence too.

All the best.

March

• Upvote 1

Doing anything repetively, under pressure will make you better at that thing. 

I practice putting using only one ball, and I make those practice putts as tough as possible. 

You never know when out with your Grand Kids, when a trip to Mc Donalds might be on the line. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Practice Pressure Putting

How do you practice pressure?  I feel pressure sometimes and other times I don't.  I think a better tack is to work on feeling pressure less often.  What does it really matter?  At the end of our days there will be numbers...but we won't know what they are.  And it won't matter.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I use the PuttOut pressure putt training aid. Best £20 i have spent on golf. Pop it down anywhere and practice. I found it really helped especially on the shorter putts. where i normally feel the pressure most.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Repetitive drill games can help refine you technique, but that isn't really game pressure. Being able to compartmentalize during a round is a better approach I think. Separate the situation from the task. Your pre-shot routine can help with this and the drills we do can make the stroke consistent.

Some Pros use breathing techniques to relax and focus. Others, like Ariya Jutanugarn, smile to relax before a putt. She does it on every putt.

For me, it is just gathering all my focus on the start line (aim point) of the putt and blocking everything else out. Sometimes I can focus so much, that I don't even hear sound. Other times, I can be talking and joking with my friends while I make the putt, but I am focused on the aim point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, march11934 said:

They are a good bunch of guys, but seeing a 3 foot putt come up short and 6 inches offline makes you stop and think.

It makes me think they could suck at putting ;)

If you miss this is how i handle it. The point is to put yourself under pressure. I allow myself a choice of 1 "save putt" or go back 1 foot closer to the hole and try putting 3 times. If you make the "save" putt you stay at the hole you missed at and get to repeat the 3 putts. Miss during those 3 putts, you give yourself another "save" putt and try the 3 putt again. If you miss the "save" putt you go back 2 holes. That is the risk of trying the "save" putt. 

Not much at stake there. 

So of course there are tons of options you can factor in to make the game interesting. My objective is to stay away from mindless "free stroking" putts with no care. This feeling of "I can make everything" will leave you quick in a money game. What ever is a option in the game that is within your abilities but enough to challenge you without utterly defeating you will carry over the greens. 

I think it depends on who you are. For me, I tend to get too lazy with putting. That and I don't practice reading greens as much as I should. 

Still, it's nearly impossible to mimic real competition pressure. 

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Some Pros use breathing techniques to relax and focus. Others, like Ariya Jutanugarn, smile to relax before a putt. She does it on every putt.

It depends on who you are. I can see someone who gets hyper focused when under pressure versus someone who crumbles. I tend to get more focused under pressure. I need to find a way to turn that switch on because I tend to get lazy on the golf course.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 11/9/2018 at 4:27 AM, RussUK said:

I use the PuttOut pressure putt training aid. Best £20 i have spent on golf. Pop it down anywhere and practice. I found it really helped especially on the shorter putts. where i normally feel the pressure most.

Then you found something that works for you. My whole point about creating a situation that resembles a putt that has something on the line. You know if it works or not when you stand over that 5 footer that can win a side bet. For those that don’t gamble, probably wouldn’t understand what we are searching for in a practice session. 

IDK if this would help with pressure felt while standing over a must make putt, but I will share it again.

Sometimes i putt to another golf ball. I have heard it referred to the "Dog & Rabbit Drill".  Simple enough to do. You just drop the "rabbit" ball, walk away a few.feet, and drop the "dog" ball. Then putt the "dog" ball, trying to hit the "rabbit" ball. 

It would seem this drill helps create better accuracy. Better accuracy creates better confidence. Better confidence lowers the pressure of the putt. 

In My Bag:

On 11/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, Piz said:

How do you practice pressure? 

This is the key question, and for a lot of people, finding pressure or competition to practice putting can be tough.  Confidence, confidence will be your best friend.  I've done something like @march11934, especially when I was younger and at home not doing much, I would watch a movie and whip out the 10ft mat and hit 100+ putts.  Use one hand, both hands, slightly different distances and angles, but just kept it going. The idea was to build confidence, make it seem as if it was second nature or a tap in, to make those 5-8ft putts.  In a pressure situation, that practice/confidence should be enough to carry you through.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

If you want pressure at practice play a game that if you loose you have to pay the price. And the price need to be important for u in case of loosing.

Example: if i loose this short putting game i have to do something good for my healh that i hate. Don´t know what.. go out and run 5k. Do 50 push ups. Don´t drink beer on the weekend or eat healty etc...  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, p1n9183 said:

If you want pressure at practice play a game that if you loose you have to pay the price. And the price need to be important for u in case of loosing.

Example: if i loose this short putting game i have to do something good for my healh that i hate. Don´t know what.. go out and run 5k. Do 50 push ups. Don´t drink beer on the weekend or eat healty etc...  

No beer, and nachos? Run 5k? No way. Push ups? I think I'd go with a needle stuck in my thumb for missed putts. 😍

In My Bag:

Here are a couple of drills that will offer you pressure IF you are wiling to complete them.

40 from 4.   You must make 40 putts in a row from 4 feet....when you miss you have to start over at #1.  You set up 5 tees around a hole... and make a putt from each one, then the next one, .... never from the same tee twice ...after going around once, you do it over and over again until you have completed 8 rounds.   IF you want to make it more challenging with greater pressure chose a hole location that is on a severe slope.

Tour Putting Square.   Set up 4 tees around a hole from 3 feet.  Putt 3 balls from each location.  If you miss, count the miss, and start over from that location.  After completing from 3 feet, do the same thing from 4 and 5 feet.  When you are done total your number of misses.   Good putters only miss 2-4.  Set a target, and if you do not reach it, you have to do the drill again and again until you reach it.  Again to make the drill even harder, chose a hole location on a severe slope.

These are just a couple of dozens I have collected....

Edited by JuanTheGolfer

On 11/8/2018 at 8:35 PM, Piz said:

How do you practice pressure?  I feel pressure sometimes and other times I don't.  I think a better tack is to work on feeling pressure less often.  What does it really matter?  At the end of our days there will be numbers...but we won't know what they are.  And it won't matter.

Bet on everything? 😁

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Some good points however practice isn’t anything without the pressure. If you don’t play for anything at stake then you probably haven’t played under pressure. I have been gambling on pool tables for over 20 years. I know how to not choke. It’s the suckers out there that crap a 5 footer that I have to shake my head wondering why. Point I was trying to make was posting a drill that forces a single putt to count. There are plenty out there. Repetition is not concentration. You would be amazed at how loud your heartbeat can get after a 5 hour round rides in a single putt. Tempo, grip, putter weight, etc all change on that one putt. Overcoming it can be a rush. 

1 hour ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

Here are a couple of drills that will offer you pressure IF you are wiling to complete them.

40 from 4.   You must make 40 putts in a row from 4 feet....when you miss you have to start over at #1.  You set up 5 tees around a hole... and make a putt from each one, then the next one, .... never from the same tee twice ...after going around once, you do it over and over again until you have completed 8 rounds.   IF you want to make it more challenging with greater pressure chose a hole location that is on a severe slope.

Tour Putting Square.   Set up 4 tees around a hole from 3 feet.  Putt 3 balls from each location.  If you miss, count the miss, and start over from that location.  After completing from 3 feet, do the same thing from 4 and 5 feet.  When you are done total your number of misses.   Good putters only miss 2-4.  Set a target, and if you do not reach it, you have to do the drill again and again until you reach it.  Again to make the drill even harder, chose a hole location on a severe slope.

These are just a couple of dozens I have collected....

Thanks Juan. I have completed the 4 to 40. however it was on my mat so I can’t go in a circle. Muscles and back cramps come with it. 

I recall the circle drill being mentioned by a tour pro. Was it Sergio Garcia I think?  He mentioned no lunch until he completes it. That can build some pressure. 

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

Bet on everything? 😁

That's the Slim Preston method.  Anybody can sink a 3 foot putt...how about we make it 10 grand?

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

7 hours ago, Piz said:

That's the Slim Preston method.  Anybody can sink a 3 foot putt...how about we make it 10 grand?

Pressure is when you play for $5 a hole when you only have $2 in your pocket. - Lee Trevino.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I don't think you can simulate pressure. To me, the only way to apply pressure to practice putting is to turn it into a competition of some kind, with consequences for failure. This way you're always used to putting with something on the line.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Something I do, that I just remembered, that might simulate some practice pressure putting. 

When out with my Grand Daughters, when they had an interest in the game, I started them out putting. After getting their grip, stance, and stroke down, we had handicapped putting competitions. 

I gave them three, free strokes to putt out. If it took them 5 strokes, they wrote down a two.  I was allowed no handicap strokes, but had to putt out in two strokes or less. This from the farthest part of the green to the pin. 

As their putting became more proficient, as in beating more often, their handicap went down. Since there was a competitive value involved, I was some what under pressure to hole out in two strokes or less.

There was always something on the line. 

My pressure (focus?) increased, as they became better. Luckily for me I was fortunate enough to have very competive Grand Children. 

Another similar scenario, which actually took place yesterday created more pressure/focus on my part. 

My wife and I played an 18 hole,  par three yesterday. I played from the tee boxes, while she played from 3 feet off the green, from the fairway side. My wife is a little below average at chipping, and putting. She recieved a 1/2 stroke per hole, or 9 strokes for the 18.

Perhaps something like these two scenarios might be worth a try to generate more focus, and consistency, which would also alleviate some pressure. .  

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 1998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!