IGNORED

Hero World Challenge 2018

MacDutch
Note:Β This thread is 1972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Video:

Not so sure about that. How did he not know it was a double hit?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He did not get penalized.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Not so sure about that. How did he not know it was a double hit?

I could see him not being able to feel that. Watch it at real speed. There's leaves, there's sand, there's a bunch of noise right there…

What I don't really love about this situation is that he didn't really make a backswing or start very far fromΒ the ball, so I'd have been tempted to explore the idea that he didn't really make a stroke, he more "pushed, scraped, or spooned" the ball.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

45 minutes ago, iacas said:

I could see him not being able to feel that. Watch it at real speed. There's leaves, there's sand, there's a bunch of noise right there…

What I don't really love about this situation is that he didn't really make a backswing or start very far fromΒ the ball, so I'd have been tempted to explore the idea that he didn't really make a stroke, he more "pushed, scraped, or spooned" the ball.

This. Exactly.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

A few things.Β  Feherty said "a player always knows when he hits it twice."Β  How could that be proved?Β  Feherty also thought that Tiger should have received a penalty.Β  Then Feherty thought that there was a 1-inch backswing and that he didn't just push the ball forward.Β  Later Tiger said that he did hit the ball twice.Β  But no penalty because it could only be seen in super slo-motion.Β  Then after all that, one of the announcers said that next year the rule will be no penalty for double hits.Β  Now that took me back a bit.Β  I can't figure out why that rule was changed.Β  I guess probably to speed things up and avoid trying to make this kind of determination.Β  Who remembers poor T C Chen?

Question:Β  Do you think that if it had been another player then the "pushed, scraped, or spooned" rule would have been invoked and the player would have been penalized?

The announcer said that Patrick Cantlay was only invited to this tournament around Thanksgiving.Β  It would have been nice if Cam Champ had also gotten an invitation, considering that he's the newest star on Tour right now.Β  Is this field only by invitation only?Β  Are the amount of players limited to a certain number?Β  Couldn't that number be expanded?Β  I guess there's only enough money for 18 players.Β  Well, I just wish Cam Champ had been invited.Β  And maybe he was and declined for all I know.Β  Is it Tiger's sole decision as to who plays?

46 minutes ago, Herkimer said:

A few things.Β  Feherty said "a player always knows when he hits it twice."

He’s wrong. Palm fronds, sand, very odd stance, noise, barely see the ball...easily couldn’t know if he struck it twice.

Hero Challenge:

Initially, the tournament had a 16-man field composed of the defending champion, the top 11 available players from theΒ Official World Golf Ranking, and four sponsors exemptions chosen by the Tiger Woods Foundation. In 2008, the field was increased to 18 players, consisting of the most recent winners of the four major PGA tournaments, the top 11 available players from the Official World Golf Ranking, the defending champion, and two special exemption players selected by the foundation

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Herkimer said:

A few things.Β  Feherty said "a player always knows when he hits it twice."Β  How could that be proved?

It's not something that can be "proved" but generally speaking, when you double hit it in a more "normal" situation, you do know. You feel the impact twice.

Tiger, it could reasonably be believed, couldn't feel that because if you watch it in real time, it's not like a TC Chen double-hit, it happens inside of a fraction of a second and there are bush leaves, sand, etc. being hit or moved at the same time.

Then Feherty thought that there was a 1-inch backswing and that he didn't just push the ball forward.

It was borderline IMO, but he didn't start withΒ the clubhead almost touching the ball and then literally push it. There was aΒ veryΒ small "forward motion with the intent to hit the ball."

Later Tiger said that he did hit the ball twice. But no penalty because it could only be seen in super slo-motion.

Tiger said that after seeing theΒ video, he could see that he probably hit the ball twice. He didn't say he felt it hit the clubhead twice.

Then after all that, one of the announcers said that next year the rule will be no penalty for double hits. Now that took me back a bit. I can't figure out why that rule was changed.

Because it's an accident, and the 2019 Rules are a bit more forgiving of accidents like that, like accidentally moving your ball on the putting green, like accidentally stepping on or moving your ball during a search, etc.

This shouldn't be news - the new Rules have been available for comment since… March?

Who remembers poor T C Chen?

Many of us.

Question:Β  Do you think that if it had been another player then the "pushed, scraped, or spooned" rule would have been invoked and the player would have been penalized?

No.

The announcer said that Patrick Cantlay was only invited to this tournament around Thanksgiving.Β  It would have been nice if Cam Champ had also gotten an invitation, considering that he's the newest star on Tour right now.

See @Vinsk's post just above mine for the answer there.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, I suppose. It's just so obvious when you get it in slow motion that it doesn't look too good. You're right, though. There's a lot of other things hitting his club face, including the sand and bush leaves.Β 

I actually felt pretty okay with him making a stroke, but then I read Decision 14-1a/4:

14-1a/4

Striking Ball with Half an Inch Backswing

Q.A player's ball lies close to an out of bounds fence, but there is room behind the ball to insert an iron club or a putter and leave a space of half an inch between the ball and the face of the club. If the player plays a stroke with such a limited backswing, is he in breach of RuleΒ 14-1?

A.It is possible to strike a ball fairly with a half inch backswing. However, in most such cases the player would be pushing the ball, contrary to RuleΒ 14-1. In the absence of strong evidence to the contrary, it should be ruled that the player has pushed the ball.

In order to strike the ball fairly, it must be swung at with the clubhead. If the ball is moved by any other method, it has been pushed, scraped or spooned.

If a ball is fairly struck at, there is only momentary contact between the clubhead and the ball or whatever intervenes between the clubhead and the ball.

Tiger clearly had more than a half inch backswing. Not a ton more, but probably an inch or two. The bolded is was is bugging him. I'm not sure there's only momentary contact between the clubhead and the ball. I suppose it seems more than that only in slow motion. However, it does appear like he sort of carried it with his clubface.Β 

Anyways, the rules officials there decided it wasn't a penalty. So I'm clearly wrong. It's just interesting.

I wonder if this is a bad look for golf at all. Tiger clearly double hit the ball. It's an interesting contrast to, say, football, where something that obvious on video wouldn't be ignored (most of the time).

On another note, this is the second year in a row, right, where there's been an odd rules situation. Wasn't Hideki's thing last year?

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Tiger clearly had more than a half inch backswing. Not a ton more, but probably an inch or two. The bolded is was is bugging him. I'm not sure there's only momentary contact between the clubhead and the ball. I suppose it seems more than that only in slow motion. However, it does appear like he sort of carried it with his clubface.Β ο»Ώ

Do you feel like it was "pushed" if you watch it in real speed?

19 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

On another note, this is the second year in a row, right, where there's been an odd rules situation. Wasn't Hideki's thing last year?

I think so.

Yep:

• Administrator

Mark Russell:

β€œWell, Tiger was under a bush and we did determine that he did make a stroke at it. He didn’t scrape or spoon or push the ball. And when he did that, Tiger said that he did not think he hit the ball twice. Looking at it in the regular speed on a high-definition television, you couldn’t tell that at all, but when you slowed it down to ultraslow motion high-definition television, you could see where the club [sic] did stay on the clubface quite a bit of time and it looked like he might have hit it twice, but there’s no way he could tell that."

Β 

I'm relatively new to golf and would appreciate some insight..Β  Why wasn't it a no-brainer to declare the lie unplayable and take the 1-stroke penalty with a 2-club length drop?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pric0721 said:

I'm relatively new to golf and would appreciate some insight..Β  Why wasn't it a no-brainer to declare the lie unplayable and take the 1-stroke penalty with a 2-club length drop?

Welcome to The Sand Trap!Β I was thinking the same thing, but I guess the waste area sand is sketchy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, pric0721 said:

I probably would have done just that, assuming I could find a place to drop that gave me a real shot.Β  But Tiger is a different kind of player, he sees possibilities where I wouldn't.Β  In this case, he saw the potential to get the ball out onto some grass, and maybe he felt reasonably certain his worst result would still have been playable.Β  Given that possible outcome (he didn't know for sure how it would turn out), and the nature of the event (only semi-serious competition), I can see that taking the risk was a reasonable choice.Β  As it worked out, Tiger got the ball into the rough, a significant improvement over his likely drop from an unplayable lie.Β Β 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Too bad there wasn’t a sprinkler in the bush for him to get a free drop...😯

Tiger currently DFL with a three shot margin. Ouch. Two double and one triple so far through four holes on Saturday.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

so i just turned the channel to see this happen in a highlight.........Β  is this really where Pro Golf is going???Β  Β 181yd 9iron?????Β  Β I mean that's a hell of a shot but damn.............

Β 

Β 

It is what it is

22 hours ago, iacas said:

Do you feel like it was "pushed" if you watch it in real speed?

I can't tell at all in real speed, but I think I would be satisfied just seeing where the swing started, assuming I hadn't seen the slow motion.

20 hours ago, pric0721 said:

You'd have to ask him to be sure, but I'm guessing two things:

1. He probably thought he couldΒ advance the ball forward, which gains him an advantage over taking an unplayable.
  2. Wild guess here, because I haven't looked all that carefully: he probably would have still had to drop in the sand. Dropping in the sand is likely going to result in a fried egg lie. That means he wouldn't be able to get the ball to the green.

-- Daniel

Great to see Tiger finish top 20!

/s

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note:Β This thread is 1972 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!