IGNORED

Match Play- Never Again?

fburns
Note: This thread is 1949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have to admit that I really struggle with Match Play. I think I have a romanticized idea that we are all friends pulling together to play a challenging opponent- the golf course or the course architect. I want everyone to play well and enjoy themselves. I want us to bond socially and make meaningful friendships. If someone gets a great bounce or plays really well then they win, but at least in my mind they were never my opponent so I can easily celebrate with them. Last weekend I played in a match play tournament for the first time since I was a child about 40 years ago. I played the course, played well and went deep into the finals. But I wanted to quit after 20 minutes of each match. I hated the idea of playing against someone. I hated the idea of contrived gamesmanship. I couldn't stand the way my opponents feigned false bravado. There was almost no social interaction and that that occurred was fake in some form of "read a book on match play"  mind game manipulation. It was the worst 3 days of my golfing experience that I can remember. If golf was like that all the time, I would go do something else. I don't think I will ever play in a match play tournament again. Just curious if I am the only one out there. 

I have to say I'm on the other side of this one, I enjoy match play.  It may be because I play most of my golf with (or against) friends, and for very low stakes, but we're always playing a match of some kind.  I've played enough that I can ignore almost all attempts at "gamesmanship", even though that's pretty rare in my group, and feel no need to try that nonsense myself.  Some of the best times I've had are the Newport Cup matches I've played in, playing with new friends, and against new friends.  I think that for me, part of the attraction of match play is the idea that one hole is just one hole, you can't shoot yourself out of a match with a single bad hole the way you can in stroke play.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I have to say I'm on the other side of this one, I enjoy match play.  It may be because I play most of my golf with (or against) friends, and for very low stakes, but we're always playing a match of some kind.  I've played enough that I can ignore almost all attempts at "gamesmanship", even though that's pretty rare in my group, and feel no need to try that nonsense myself.  Some of the best times I've had are the Newport Cup matches I've played in, playing with new friends, and against new friends.  I think that for me, part of the attraction of match play is the idea that one hole is just one hole, you can't shoot yourself out of a match with a single bad hole the way you can in stroke play.

I'm with Dave on this one, I too enjoy match play.  We always have a match going on for very low stakes as well, and since we are all friends there is much more good natured ribbing then gamesmanship.  Now in some of the larger match play tournaments (our local inter-club matches) you always get the jerk who thinks that the round is more important than it is, but I've played enough to pretty much ignore them.  I enjoy the competition and it may not be that sociable on the course during the match all of the time, but afterwards I've never had a bad experience, winning or losing.    

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• iacas changed the title to Match Play- Never Again?
  • Administrator

Maybe, @fburns, you don't hate match play… maybe you hate the dicks you played against?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can understand @fburns attitude.  When one is playing a stranger, there is a different dynamic than "fun" matches with a friend for a beer.  I prefer stroke play tournaments where it is more me versus the course than me versus Joe, who is waiting to hit.

Brian Kuehn

I enjoy match play as well. That said, I totally understand the point @fburns is making. I try my best to tell myself that it doesn't matter and that I'm still out here to have fun. So I don't let my opponent bother me. I do my best just to treat it as a normal round on the course. It's something to think about and try. I don't think there's any problem, though, if you dislike match play and prefer stroke play.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I'm with @DaveP043 on this one.  And match play is, for me, a more interesting way to play golf.  I don't mind stroke play but match play helps to keep me focused on what I am doing...rather than what I've done.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Maybe, @fburns, you don't hate match play… maybe you hate the dicks you played against?

I really don't think so. They were not dicks by any means. I certainly don't "hate" any of them. They were just golfers who were trying to gain an advantage over me. That is the point of match play. And as I said, for me it takes the fun out of it. I think match play with my friends might be ok, but match play in tournaments with people I don't know if just not for me.

Edited by fburns

I'm also a big fan of Match Play. There are several competitions which have various formats.
While individual match format is a different game as per medal,
it still requires the player to play their best in increments or for the entire round.

I can't quite grasp why the OP being a low handicapper would bash match play after only a single recent event?
I agree with @iacas it may have been just dicks in the competition. There are some golfers with big ego's. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

2 minutes ago, fburns said:

I really don't think so. They were not dicks by any means. I certainly don't "hate" any of them. They were just golfers who were trying to gain an advantage over me. That is the point of match play. And as I said, for me it takes the fun out of it. I think match play with my friends might be ok, but match play in tournaments with people I don't know if just not for me.

Could you be reading too many books about competing in match play?

Almost every time I play my friends we’re betting. The stakes are so low it’s just like part of the game. No one plays mind games nor express false bravado? If a shot was great there’s happiness all around.

Play for less money or stakes so you’re more comfortable?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, fburns said:

But I wanted to quit after 20 minutes of each match. I hated the idea of playing against someone. I hated the idea of contrived gamesmanship. I couldn't stand the way my opponents feigned false bravado. There was almost no social interaction and that that occurred was fake in some form of "read a book on match play"  mind game manipulation. It was the worst 3 days of my golfing experience that I can remember. 

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

I can't quite grasp why the OP being a low handicapper would bash match play after only a single recent event?
I agree with @iacas it may have been just dicks in the competition. There are some golfers with big ego's. 

I see two issues.  First, the OP doesn't like the idea of competing against an individual player, as opposed to competing against the course and the field in general.  It might be an issue of familiarity, he said he hadn't done match play for 40 years.  The second issue is the "dick opponent" problem.  He says in a later post that they weren't dicks at all, but the things I underlined above sure make it seem as if they are.  I can see being less than thrilled if every opponent was trying to win with his mouth instead of his clubs, but I just don't see it very often.  I don't see it at my home club.  @jsgolfer and I play in an interclub league, and I rarely see gamesmanship there either.  In my opinion, if they think they need to "game" me to get an advantage, I already have the edge.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'm with @DaveP043 in that I enjoy match play. I wish we played more. I changes the dynamic of the game because I feel I am more "in the moment". Only this hole matters until it is completed, which is fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I love match play. Have a really bad hole? Its ok just re-set on the next tee box because one bad hole only costs you ONE bad hole. Great way to play the game IMO. 

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

The second issue is the "dick opponent" problem. He says in a later post that they weren't dicks at all, but the things I underlined above sure make it seem as if they are.

Right, particularly the "mind game manipulation" crap. Look, if someone's doing that type of stuff, they're probably being a dick.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love match play, I love everything about it. The gamesmanship, the bit of trash talking when playing against familiar opponents. And most of all the feeling you get when you kick someone's ass. As I said in another thread, I like to compete. I am not out there to be social or make friends (although I do my best to be friendly, and all my friends I made on the golf course). The friends I have are a lot like me. We joke around and give each other crap, but at the end of the day we want to win. We want to beat each other.

I feel the same way though in a stroke play event. I am there to beat all the players in my flight, not play my best against the course. I want to start by beating all the guys in my group. I'd rather shoot 72 and win than 68 and lose.

Additionally, I have no problem talking to an opponent in a match play event, even one I don't know well. I still say nice shot, good putt, etc. Just because you are playing match play doesn't mean you have to play in a bubble and be a dick. Basically what I am saying is you can compete and still be social, still have fun, and still be a likable person.

Edited by NM Golf
  • Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 12/14/2018 at 7:23 AM, fburns said:

I have to admit that I really struggle with Match Play. I think I have a romanticized idea that we are all friends pulling together to play a challenging opponent- the golf course or the course architect. I want everyone to play well and enjoy themselves. I want us to bond socially and make meaningful friendships. If someone gets a great bounce or plays really well then they win, but at least in my mind they were never my opponent so I can easily celebrate with them. Last weekend I played in a match play tournament for the first time since I was a child about 40 years ago. I played the course, played well and went deep into the finals. But I wanted to quit after 20 minutes of each match. I hated the idea of playing against someone. I hated the idea of contrived gamesmanship. I couldn't stand the way my opponents feigned false bravado. There was almost no social interaction and that that occurred was fake in some form of "read a book on match play"  mind game manipulation. It was the worst 3 days of my golfing experience that I can remember. If golf was like that all the time, I would go do something else. I don't think I will ever play in a match play tournament again. Just curious if I am the only one out there. 

I like match play, always have, and I don't find it any harder to congratulate my opponent for a good shot or a well played hole than I do in stroke play.

23 hours ago, fburns said:

Yeah, I think they were dicks.  I played quite a bit of match play.  My home course Men's Club runs individual and partner match brackets every year, both for the whole club, as well as a senior bracket, and I used to play in at least a couple of the brackets each year (I now live nearly 150 miles from the course, so I only play the scheduled stroke tournaments any more).  I never, ever experienced anyone trying to play mind games with me, not in club matches. 

I can't say that we didn't have some fun with each other when I was matched up against a good friend, but even then we knew that it was all in good humor.  When playing a stranger or someone I didn't know well, we still enjoyed and respected each other's company, and played the game with good etiquette.  If that wasn't your experience, then that's not typical from what I know in the matches I've played.  I've never participated trash talk in golf.  I prefer to let my game talk for me.  (It used to be a much better talker than it is now, today :~( )

Edited by Fourputt
  • Thumbs Up 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

On 12/14/2018 at 7:05 AM, iacas said:

... you can't pick your opponents.   I ran into a few bad ones - one cheated on the match play, another cheated on his HI (only recording bad scores), and a few who didn't have good sportsmanship or manner.  But most opponents were OK.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

... you can't pick your opponents.   

In the sense of individual opponents, you're right.  But my club does a match play every year, and you can sort of pick because you know who is in the club and who will play.  I enjoy that tournament, especially in years where I win a few matches, not because of the 'win' aspect but because I generally meet more members of my club that way.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!