IGNORED

Rogue or Rogue SubZero?

klineka
Note: This thread is 1915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Rogue or Rogue SubZero?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which model should I choose based on the info below?

• Rogue 9 degrees with low launch/low spin shaft
    • Rogue 9 degrees with mid launch/mid spin shaft
    • Rogue 10.5 degrees with low launch/low spin shaft
    • Rogue 10.5 degrees with mid launch/mid spin shaft
    • Rogue SubZero 9 degrees with low launch/low spin shaft
    • Rogue SubZero 9 degrees with mid launch/mid spin shaft
    • Rogue SubZero 10.5 degrees with low launch/low spin shaft
    • Rogue SubZero 10.5 degrees with mid launch/mid spin shaft
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Not being funny here, but why would you pick anything but the longest carry consistently? AFAIK, the best LM numbers combo should result in the longest carry.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I voted Rogue Sub-Zero with 10.5. You then have the option to go up in loft or down from a 10.5 standpoint, as I think some of your launch numbers were a bit too low with the 9° driver from the other topic (12° or something launch).

We don't get much roll so carry yardage is big.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just a quick fyi for people complaining about the sound/feel of a particular driver such as the Taylormades. This is an easy fix with a little Hotmelt. Puts a little more weight in the head and dampens out the vibration providing more of that thud people seem to prefer. Most tour guys have done this to their Taylormade drivers which is why they sound different from one bought off the rack. It's a simple fix that shouldn't cost you more than $10-$20 with a good club maker.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adam C said:

Just a quick fyi for people complaining about the sound/feel of a particular driver such as the Taylormades. This is an easy fix with a little Hotmelt. Puts a little more weight in the head and dampens out the vibration providing more of that thud people seem to prefer. Most tour guys have done this to their Taylormade drivers which is why they sound different from one bought off the rack. It's a simple fix that shouldn't cost you more than $10-$20 with a good club maker.

To anyone considering this, the principle reason for doing the hot melt is to tune the driver MOI, swing weight etc. Not just for "pro-thudding" :-D

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 minutes ago, Lihu said:

To anyone considering this, the principle reason for doing the hot melt is to tune the driver MOI, swing weight etc. Not just for "pro-thudding" :-D

Yes. It does add some weight but you can get the results of improved sound with a small amount that will barely change the SW. The sound is in fact a major reason for doing this process. Some people just do it for sound, some do it for weight and sound, but it's always a factor. Otherwise pros would just be lead taping the heads.

Regarding the question of the shaft, I have found that the new Callaway driver heads already cut a lot of spin and launch compared to other brands, so pairing them with low launch and low spin shafts is a bit extreme.

This is why I would assume for most people a mid launch/spin rather than a low launch/spin shaft is better with a Rogue/Rogue Sub Zero head.  Especially if you are coming off a high launch shaft.

Of course, launch monitor fitting will show the truth of what suits you, I would just follow the results.

If the numbers show the low launch shaft is good, that is the one.  If the numbers show the mid launch is good, that is the one.

Experimenting with hot melt in a Taylormade head is a good idea too.  It can overcome some of that empty bubble feeling and sound.

I like the subzero 10.5.  It goes up 2 degrees and down 1.  I really don't see you having the need to go under 9.5.  I'd pair it with a low spin shaft if you continue to hit it where you create a lot of spin.  

Just a thought,  but a little less AOA might stop u from hitting the ball low on the club face creating high spin.

OK I figured out why the different brands of drivers heads sound the way they do through looking at pictures of their head construction.

Taylormade driver heads have flat featureless walls so you get a hollow bubble sound with little echo because it is absorbed by the high amount of carbon fiber.

Ping heads after G400 have ribs that modify the sound pitch and give it more echo even though the shell is still mostly carbon fiber.

Titleist heads use titanium crowns that give the sound that traditional metallic ring and feel.

Callaway heads after the Epic have the jailbreak bars that give the initial impact a heavy sound, then the sound quickly mutes because the rest of the head is carbon fiber and absorbs the echo.

Edited by GOATee

On 1/22/2019 at 12:56 PM, iacas said:

I voted Rogue Sub-Zero with 10.5. You then have the option to go up in loft or down from a 10.5 standpoint, as I think some of your launch numbers were a bit too low with the 9° driver from the other topic (12° or something launch).

We don't get much roll so carry yardage is big.

On 1/23/2019 at 11:07 PM, Typhoon92 said:

I like the subzero 10.5.  It goes up 2 degrees and down 1.  I really don't see you having the need to go under 9.5.  I'd pair it with a low spin shaft if you continue to hit it where you create a lot of spin.  

Just a thought,  but a little less AOA might stop u from hitting the ball low on the club face creating high spin.

I ended up getting a really good deal at a golf expo yesterday on a Rogue Sub Zero 10.5 with the EvenFlow 65g 6.0 S shaft (mid launch/mid spin. 

Took it to the indoor place tonight and was happy with the results, had a massive improvement with the left/right dispersion. 

Average carry increased from 252.9 to 264, and ball speed average increased from 155 to 161mph, topping out at 165mph.

Average smash factor increased from 1.43 to 1.47

I love the head/shaft combo, It felt like regardless of how hard I swung the ball was still going to go straight which gives me a lot of confidence already.

• Thumbs Up 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Epic Flash.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Epic Flash.

I did hit the Epic Flash a few weeks ago at a demo day and liked it a lot, but it's a bit out of my budget since I want a new set of irons this year too :whistle::doh:

I recently purchased a Rogue Draw at 9*.  Love it.  I tend to catch them a little out of the heel due to my path being a bit too inside out, so this club really helps keep the ball speed up for me.  It really does bring in the gear effect to keep it straighter as well.  I had to really get a bad strike or open face to path to over fade it.  Shame i won't be able to hit it much now that I'm back in school.

4 hours ago, klineka said:

I ended up getting a really good deal at a golf expo yesterday on a Rogue Sub Zero 10.5 with the EvenFlow 65g 6.0 S shaft (mid launch/mid spin. 

Took it to the indoor place tonight and was happy with the results, had a massive improvement with the left/right dispersion. 

Average carry increased from 252.9 to 264, and ball speed average increased from 155 to 161mph, topping out at 165mph.

Average smash factor increased from 1.43 to 1.47

I love the head/shaft combo, It felt like regardless of how hard I swung the ball was still going to go straight which gives me a lot of confidence already.

Wow...those numbers are a big improvement!!  Very happy for you!!

Very nice numbers.  Blue Evenflow (mid launch/spin) plus Rogue/Rogue SZ is such an exciting combo.  Classic mid launch shaft profile plus top-of-the-line spin reduction head, magic.

Edited by GOATee

8 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Wow...those numbers are a big improvement!!  Very happy for you!!

7 hours ago, GOATee said:

Very nice numbers.  Blue Evenflow (mid launch/spin) plus Rogue/Rogue SZ is such an exciting combo.  Classic mid launch shaft profile plus top-of-the-line spin reduction head, magic.

Thanks guys! I still had some shots that were spinning a bit too much, mainly on high fades/slices sometimes the spin would creep back up around 3000rpm, so I switched the weights around in the head so the 14 gram weight is in the front and the 2 gram weight is in the back.

I ran out of time during my session so I only got maybe 5 swings with it in the lower spin setting, but the results I saw so far were encouraging, like 2000-2400 spin on average which is like 400 rpm lower than with the heaviest weight in the back. Out of the relatively small sample size, I didnt notice any decrease in accuracy which some reviews had claimed might happen with moving the heavy weight to the front, but even at 2000-2400 that should be enough backspin to not completely have the spin axis take over like it could if backspin was really like like 1400 or something.

I plan on leaving the loft at 10.5 unless I see something different in the outdoor flight that would require me to adjust it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!