IGNORED

Short, Downhill Breaking Putt Strategy

Caveman59
Note: This thread is 1886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was taught to grip down to the bottom of the grip to help deaden the stroke for these putts.  It helps some. 

I know how to tap these but I feel that when I do the putt is so soft that the green slopes totally take over. So while I avoid the long come backer, I don't make as many of these as I think I should.

• Upvote 1

I like to minimize the variables, so I try to hit every putt in the center of the club.   I get my read (using Aimpoint Express).  Downhill putts are essentially "faster", so for the same cross-slope, I need to play the ball slightly further outside the hole.  Then its a matter of speed, a shorter backswing with the normal rhythm means slower clubhead speed at impact.  Nothing to fear, just hit it slower, hit the right line, pick it out of the hole.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use my normal putting stroke, just a lot shorter.

Beyond that, there are other factors that may enter into my approach like whether making the putt halves the hole or wins, standing in the match, etc...

Brian Kuehn

Put me with the "hit the center and just make a shorter putt" crowd. The last thing I want to do is try to toe it and miss, ending up with a much longer putt back up the hill than necessary.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm not a big fan of this method. I've heard it from many people, however. I didn't know that Ben Crenshaw was the originator. I've always felt the simpler you can make something the better. So, I try my best to commit to speed and a stroke and then just hit it like every other putt. I really try not to "Out-think the room". 

Whatever putting method, technique or style is anyone's to decide. Every golfer should use what works best for them.  I just wanted others to share the method of striking these type of putts  

I believe it was Harvey Pennock that suggested it to Ben Crenshaw and Benny and the Jets used it to win at the Masters. This doesn't have to be your method and thank you for your opinions regarding the post.

13 hours ago, Swooshgolf said:

I've just always focused on speed first and then I find the line to match the speed.

Absolutely focus on the speed and the break,  So whatever style or strategy is yours to own, if it  helps you drop rocks.

:cobra: F6 Driver 9.5 - F6 3 Wood 16.5 -  Fly Z 2-3 Hybrid 19.0
 :cobra: Oversize Forged Irons  4-SW - V Grind Wedges 52* - 60*
 :wilsonstaff: Tour Special ll Forged Blade putter

5 hours ago, djfajt71 said:

The last thing, my putting game needs, is for me to try to purposefully hit it off center. 

Really wasn't asking you to do that.  Mainly the post was to see other peoples strategies regarding this type of putt.  This is the strategy I use.  I figure Harvey Pennock and Ben Crenshaw know a lot more about putting than the average golfer. It's just the advice I choose to follow...everyone's is different.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Like my old football coach used to say

That is great. My coach would yell at us at half time and say "what are you saving it for, your girlfriend on Saturday night?". He wanted us to play our hearts out and "leave it n the field".

18 hours ago, Caveman59 said:

Everyone has a different strategy and methods for all types of putts.  I'm curious as to strategy on short, downhill breaking putts. Ben Crenshaw advised playing these type of putts, more off the toe,  instead of the sweet spot.  I have always used this method and it has worked pretty well.  He said that a person tends to decelerate the club head on these types of putts and that he played the putt in this manner.   Just wanted to see what everyone else thought about this subject. 

Everyone I know whimpers a little bit or a lot then lines it up like any other putt before missing...😁

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 hours ago, djfajt71 said:

The last thing, my putting game needs, is for me to try to purposefully hit it off center. 

Maybe read the context of the post before replying.  Didn't say you have to use the method.  Basically wqas asking what other techniques used may be.

26 minutes ago, Caveman59 said:

Maybe read the context of the post before replying.  Didn't say you have to use the method.  Basically wqas asking what other techniques used may be.

I think it helps to know exactly what that does to the putt first. I’d guess that a purposeful mishit makes the putt less efficient and maybe that’s why some will do that on purpose.

The one backdraw is how off center you hit could drastically (by inches anyway) alter the distance that putt will travel.

I’d probably just go with the sweet spot, tap really lightly and pray a lot 😇

Edited by Lihu
Apple misspeller strikes again...

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

44 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I think it helps to know exactly what that does to the putt first. I’d guess that a purposeful mishit makes the putt less efficient and maybe that’s why some will do that on purpose.

The one backdraw is how off center you hit could drastically (by inches anyway) alter the distance that putt will travel.

I’d probably just go with the sweet spot, tap really lightly and pray a lot 😇

First off, thank you for your reply.  I'm talking between center line  and the toe.  Exactly how Crenshaw played it.  3-6' putts...not 12-18" away

11 hours ago, gbogey said:

I was taught to grip down to the bottom of the grip to help deaden the stroke for these putts.  It helps some. 

I know how to tap these but I feel that when I do the putt is so soft that the green slopes totally take over. So while I avoid the long come backer, I don't make as many of these as I think I should. 

Thanks for the reply.  I will try new things or methods to the game.  When I do make a change it is usually because of advice from professionals.  Club or Tour Pro understand the game at a completely different level.  I listen to Nicklaus (greatest clutch putter of all time),  Seve (best short game ever), Crenshaw (overall greatest putter all time), Trevino (greatest shot maker/shaper)  

16 minutes ago, Caveman59 said:

Club or Tour Pro understand the game at a completely different level. 

As instruction goes this may or may not be true. Just because they’re amazing players doesn’t mean they’re amazing instructors. They often will/have stated what they ‘feel’ they do/did but in actuality they did nothing of the sort.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
26 minutes ago, Caveman59 said:

I listen to Nicklaus (greatest clutch putter of all time),  Seve (best short game ever), Crenshaw (overall greatest putter all time), Trevino (greatest shot maker/shaper)  

Who have they ever taught to be any good?

🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Caveman59 said:

First off, thank you for your reply.  I'm talking between center line  and the toe.  Exactly how Crenshaw played it.  3-6' putts...not 12-18" away

Interesting, I wonder if putting a mark at that spot would be enough to get any kind of consistency. I wonder if that’s allowed?

Did you mark it up with a sharpie? What kind of consistency were you getting for those 3’-6’ putts. Also, I meant the same distances too. A breaking downhill putt doesn’t take a lot of tap for it to really get going on some of the greens I play. Ask @tehuti about some of those greens at San Dimas 😂

And some of the CC in our area have really brutal greens 🥺

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

6 hours ago, Lihu said:

Interesting, I wonder if putting a mark at that spot would be enough to get any kind of consistency. I wonder if that’s allowed?

Did you mark it up with a sharpie? What kind of consistency were you getting for those 3’-6’ putts. Also, I meant the same distances too. A breaking downhill putt doesn’t take a lot of tap for it to really get going on some of the greens I play. Ask @tehuti about some of those greens at San Dimas 😂

And some of the CC in our area have really brutal greens 🥺

No mark was added, but for those type putts I'm pretty consistent.    

I’ve always intentionally toed mine to get the less efficient hit. I’ve putted with a Ping Pal or Anser for nearly my entire life golfing. Those putters have a lot of jump off the sweet spot. Even a short backswing alone just doesn’t do enough for me.

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Who have they ever taught to be any good?

🙂

This wasn't intended to be a debate. But I'm sitting here watching Gary Nicklaus at -5 in a Champions Tour event.  

Note: This thread is 1886 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!