IGNORED

What do you think are the most important tournaments?

Lofty Lefty
Note: This thread is 4800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I ask this question because I'm interested to see how people rate some of the non majors. Do you think any of the majors could be changed??

A big call perhaps, but here's how I rank my most important tournaments. ie; the ones I would most like to win (in my fantasies!)

1. US Masters

2. British Open

3. US Open

4. TPC Sawgrass (new 4th major)

5. WGC Matchplay

6. US PGA

As an Australian, I would rank the Aus Open up there as well, but let's face it. It ain't the tournament it used to be...

I think the Pebble Beach Pro-am would be a big tournament as well, because it's huge for publicity, shows how well the players practiced in the off season, and shows how prepared they are for the rest of the season in terms of their mental games.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMO

1. US Open... love watching pro's struggle and grind their way around. I also love most of the courses they pick

2. British Open... could be number 1 but if the wind isn't blowing the pro's eat those courses up, I do like how some unknowns seem to win

3. PGA Champ... could be 2 but sometimes the courses aren't the best but it's usually a good show

4. Masters... The tradition of it is second to none but the course just isn't as challenging with how far players hit it. The greens are still great.

5. The Players (Sawgrass)... It draws a great field and 17 is awesome but that course is just not major championship material IMO

After these 5 I could name a bunch more but most of them are just because they draw a good field of players and the courses are nice.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

U.S. Open

Masters

British

PGA
Players

Tour Championship

Bridgestone

Matchplay

Bay Hill

Memorial

Doral

Deutsche Bank

BMW

Barclays

HSBC China

Quail Hollow

Pebble

Riviera

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

It's a total toss up.  I'd love to win them all, but the Masters has the best perks for winning.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

I believe the two most difficult tests of golf skill are the US Open and the British Open (the Open?).  After those two I would rank them as The Masters, Player's Championship, PGA, and the World Championship Match Play (love match play and they should do more of it) and then everything else.

Butch

The Open, US Open, PGA Championship, Masters, WGC Tournaments, The Players, Memorial, Dubai World Championship, HSBC Abu Dhabi, Bay Hill, BMW PGA Championship, The Heritage, Riviera, Mission Hills, Colonial

Forgot about the FedEx playoffs:  I'd put The Tour Championship just behind the WGC Tournaments (including Bridgestone)

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

As far as other tournaments where prestige instead of money is the prize:

The Ryder and Waker Cups.  US and British Amateurs.  PGA Professional National Championship.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

If it were to be ranked by quailty of field

The Open

US Open

PGA

Players

all WGC

maybe The Masters...  IMOP the Masters is just a TV production. Gets sooo much hype.

I don't see a change in the four majors. They each have a unique character and although an unknown can win, over time the greats have performed well at the majors. The club of golfers who have won all four is very small. The club of golfers who have won all four 3 times is smaller still.

The Players is important for the field, the course, and the drama. It has some characteristics of a major, but for some reason it still doesn't feel like a major to me, but that is personal I guess.  If I miss watching it on TV, I am OK.  If I miss watching at least a few hours of the Masters, I am not happy!

There was a lot of discussion this year regarding Pebble Beach as to the format and timing. I think there is a lot of tradition in the pro-am aspect as well as entertainment value for people who are even non golfers. I think that was capitalized better this year than in some recent years, but not as much as it once was when a lot of the old "characters" were still around and active.  At the same time Pebble is a serious golf course, and I sometimes wonder if it doesn't deserve a more serious annual tournament in addition to the US Open rota.

Anyway for me in order of favorites but not necessarily importance:

Masters

British Open( I am an American-not being unpatriotic, but this is where the game started.

US Open        The US and British can flip flop depending on the course)

PGA

Pebble

Riviera

Players

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

there is only one major and thats The Open

And only when it's played in Scotland.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Any National Open is special because it's timeless. Whether it's a US, British, or even a Canadian Open, it's always that a a national open championship. And of course each countriy's national amateur championship, Masters, and PGA Championship are important. There are only a few sponsor named events that even register 10 years later. If The Memorial ever has a corporate titile it's dead to me.

Having never won anything, I couldn't really say, but I do know that for > 50 years American professionals had to be talked into playing in the British Open. Some players (e.g. Curtis Strange) regret it. Not to rehash anything, but considering how much money is involved, I don't understand why American golfers don't insist their sponsors set up a village like they do in the Olympics. They could eat reconizable food and sleep in a adult sized beds. Sure Tom, Jack, and Tiger can adapt, but that's because they're awesome.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Why would their sponsors want to set up a villegas for them to eat out and sleep with? Wouldn't that be a distraction from playing golf?

Screenshot2011-03-05at92850PM.png

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Stretch

Why would their sponsors want to set up a villegas for them to eat out and sleep with? Wouldn't that be a distraction from playing golf?

File that under links I wish I didn't click on with my roommate standing behind me...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by Stretch

And only when it's played in Scotland.

I personally think the us pga or the masters should be scrapped.  A new major must be set up to be played for in different country's each year, or who ever wins the competition the following years major should be played in his home country

Note: This thread is 4800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!