IGNORED

Walking On @ Baylor? Now TTU?

maderman23
Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a little experience here. I went to the Univ of Florida in the early 80's I was a National Merit Scholar majoring in math and engineering. Also geology. I was on the bowling team which did take a lot of time away from school for trips. You'll need understanding profs and may need help from your coach to allow missed tests etc. I was a major nerd (still am) so grades were not an issue. I tried out for the golf team with a friend. The try out for the walk-ons were two rounds. I shot 75-76 and he shot 72-73. Those were good scores from the tips on hard fast greens. We didn't have a prayer. There was only a couple of spots and guys shooting in the 60's didn't make it. I just wanted free golf by making the golf team. :-) I got free bowling by making the bowling team. UF has always been known as a golf school. I'm sure Baylor is in the same league. UF is a very good academic school as well, as is Baylor. As long as you keep on top of it and don't let the women get in the way, grades should not be a problem. A +1.7 HCP should be enough to make the team. Definitely talk to the coach. You may get preferred walk on status and not be thrown in with all the unwashed masses trying out. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

You may get preferred walk on status and not be thrown in with all the unwashed masses trying out.

Hahaha that brought back some memories. I was a couple years ahead of you, at a Big 8 school (not OSU).

I thought since you had to be like under a 3 handicap (whatever it was back then to get into qualifying for the Amateur) to get invited to try out that it would be run like a decent tournament, people dressed nicely, etc. Talk about unwashed masses, it was a zoo. No way half the people were legitimately under a 3, or else they gagged real easy. People carrying their bags backwards, everything. It felt like playing in a muni tourney. Kinda surprising because the golf team had some really good players.

About the 7th hole the first day we putted out, the hole smelled funny. Found out later some guy 2 groups ahead of us had 4 putted or something so he pissed in the hole. Yep, he pulled it out and took a leak right there, in the hole! He didn't make the team :-)

Florida was really big time back then, with Houston and Okla State as I recall. Pretty neat that you got to try out for them, in hindsight you would have needed to be tour quality to just be on the team, let alone travel, huh?

Steve

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

You can try it. Not going to be easy to make the time work.

Then again, it's just civil engineering. Shouldn't be too bad. Right, @Golfingdad?

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That's a fake laugh, btw)

@maderman23 ,

Talk to the coach.

@jamo

Off topic, but we Chemical Engineers make the same joke about Mechanical! :-) But truth be told, after 10 years we are all just engineers.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Hahaha that brought back some memories. I was a couple years ahead of you, at a Big 8 school (not OSU).  I thought since you had to be like under a 3 handicap (whatever it was back then to get into qualifying for the Amateur) to get invited to try out that it would be run like a decent tournament, people dressed nicely, etc. Talk about unwashed masses, it was a zoo. No way half the people were legitimately under a 3, or else they gagged real easy. People carrying their bags backwards, everything. It felt like playing in a muni tourney. Kinda surprising because the golf team had some really good players. About the 7th hole the first day we putted out, the hole smelled funny. Found out later some guy 2 groups ahead of us had 4 putted or something so he pissed in the hole. Yep, he pulled it out and took a leak right there, in the hole! He didn't make the team :-) Florida was really big time back then, with Houston and Okla State as I recall. Pretty neat that you got to try out for them, in hindsight you would have needed to be tour quality to just be on the team, let alone travel, huh?

Definitely had to be scratch to make the team. I wouldn't have considered trying out if it weren't for my friend. He was a scratch golfer, but not tour quality. I played with a few players from the men and women's teams over the years. The guys were bombers. The women were straight. Hit every GIR and could putt like maniacs. Everybody looked like good golfers, but there were lots of scores in the 80's. I felt real good about my scores at the time.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

The problem with my handicap is that it would be better if I didn't have tournament rounds in there. I shoot under par consistently at the Texas Tech Golf Course when there's no pressure, but when tournaments are played I shot roughly in the mid-high 70s, so that's a mental game problem that I think I have fixed, but I won't know till golf season starts back up.

It must be nice to have a plus handicap and still think there is a problem with it.  I think I hate you.

But good luck!

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

It must be nice to have a plus handicap and still think there is a problem with it.  I think I hate you. But good luck!

I know you're joking but I'll say this anyway: The next person I meet who is happy with his golf game, be it a 38 handicapper or a +3, will be the first person I've met that is happy with their golf game.

• Upvote 1

I know you're joking but I'll say this anyway:

The next person I meet who is happy with his golf game, be it a 38 handicapper or a +3, will be the first person I've met that is happy with their golf game.

Word. If anything people seem to be more critical as they get better.

Dave :-)

Two words: Do it.

You'll regret it if you don't.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

@maderman23 Hola hermano! I was a National Hispanic Merit Scholar as well (hate that inaccurate term Hispanic but oh well) way back when, congrats on your accomplishment! I say you try it, and DEFINITELY keep us informed. Make a separate thread about the try-outs.

Colin P.

I say you try it, and DEFINITELY keep us informed. Make a separate thread about the try-outs.

That's a great point. We get a lot of newbies who say theyre going to make a college team or the Tour, but few actually follow up (or follow through).

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

That's a great point. We get a lot of newbies who say theyre going to make a college team or the Tour, but few actually follow up (or follow through).

Ok, so I'll post a new thread and title it "Journey to Baylor", and I'll keep everybody updated on any new scholarships I receive, anything that I receive from Coach McGraw, and if y'all would like as well any of my tournament results from either big tournaments, such as US Open qualifiers, and school tournaments, etc. Would they be something y'all would follow?

Ok, so I'll post a new thread and title it "Journey to Baylor", and I'll keep everybody updated on any new scholarships I receive, anything that I receive from Coach McGraw, and if y'all would like as well any of my tournament results from either big tournaments, such as US Open qualifiers, and school tournaments, etc. Would they be something y'all would follow?

We live to live vicariously through others whenever possible, so yes, that would be something I'd be interested in following. Good luck!

Definitely!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Ok, so many of y'all may have seen my previous thread ([CONTENTEMBED=/t/78969/should-i-try-to-walk-on-baylor layout=inline]​[/CONTENTEMBED]) that I started about trying to walk-on at Baylor University. I will be enrolling at Baylor here very soon, and being a National Merit Hispanic Scholar, I'm receiving several thousands of dollars in scholarships. But now, the question is whether or not Coach McGraw, a coach of multiple teams that have won the National Championship, will take me under his wing. So far, I have emailed him several times, and he has responded once. I'll keep y'all up to date on my progress with him and in tournaments big or small. Lastly, below I'll post my set makeup, just in case if I post highlights, or what not, and slightly I like to think that my clubs are the best that I could personally pay for: Driver: RBZ Tour 9° with the stock stiff shaft 3 Wood: R11 I have it set at 16.5° so that it'll be easier for the ball to land softer and carry a touch farther. 3- PW: Taylormade Tour Preferred Forged MB Irons, I have them cut a 1/4" short, I like the control that it offers. 52° & 56° wedges: Both are older Srixon egress from about 5 years ago, again, they're cut 1/4 inch short 60° wedge: CG14 standard length, I haven't cut it because I don't use it on full shots, just in bunkers and around the greens, therefore I'm just going to choke up on the club anyways. Putter: Taylormade Monta Rossa, I have it cut down to about 31.5" with a Fatso grip on it, I like to bend over a little bit when putting, and the Fatso grip really relaxes my hands a lot. Thank y'all so much for all of the feedback and the interest in my doings, I'll update this whenever anything happens.
  • Upvote 1

Good luck. Looking forward to following your journey. :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

One important thing to note:

NCAA restriction only allow coaches a specific amount of time to host tryouts (I believe it's set at either 2 hours or 2 and a half hours) so I've been told (in talking to coaches myself) that the "tryouts" are usually in the form of a reputable nearby tournament in early August. In the mid-west the RMJGT hosts a intercollegiate shootout that is frequently used in lieu of a formal tryout, where the coaches encourage prospective players and current players alike to compete to give a scoring comparison.

Just something that you might want to be prepared for, since the "tryout" will likely be in the form of a somewhat large tournament hosted by someone other than the school/the NCAA. It's the coaches way of getting around silly NCAA restrictions that were designed to accommodate other sports that don't take 4-5 hours on at least two different days to properly assess skills.

• Upvote 1

Good luck.. I am not sure how your green reading is, but to give you an edge over the rest of the field may I suggest you take an aimpoint class for green reading? This is the most critical putting skill and it is easy to learn. Consider it the last green reading training you'll ever need! Good luck

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Ok, so earlier today, I got some an email that wasn't exactly what I wanted to find out about, but I guess I'll roll with the punches and play my heart out in every tournament imaginable. Dear ******, Thank you so much for your e-mail and especially for your interest in Baylor. You are a very good player, and an excellent student as well. I have no doubt that you will have a very successful college golf career. Unfortunately, I have already signed four players for next fall, and have no more positions available on the squad. Since my team will be very large next year (probably 13 players), I have decided to turn my recruiting focus to the Class of 2016 and beyond. In fact, I also have one verbal commitment from 2016, and have had over a dozen other young men visit our campus. I should be completing that Class sometime this spring. I know this is not the news you want to hear, however, it is the reality of my situation as it stands. I hope you can understand, and I want to wish you the very best in your search for a place to play and study. Sincerely, Coach McGraw So we'll see what galena from here on out, but for now, it's not looking too great, hopefully I can put on a performance for him that he just can't deny...

Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!