IGNORED

Predict Your Handicap One Year From Now

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

29 members have voted

1. 1. One year from now my handicap will be....

• The same
    • Lower
    • Higher

I voted the same (which means about the same, right?).  Reasons?

I'm getting older.  At 57, it seems the rate that one ages has accelerated a bit.

As I get older I seem to lower my expectations.  It seems easier to live with oneself that way.

You're too young to take on this attitude, there are plenty of older 10-12 handicaps around. . .

I've seen quite a few golfers who are considered young when they are in their 60s. ;-)

Just played one golfer in his 60s, and he's really flexible. He still drives quite nicely, although he played the "easier" tees to take some of the teeth out of the course? His game was definitely on except he claims that his drives were less than desirable, and I believe he can drive better than his already decent drives.

Old is when you're 98 and pushing an IV around the course, and I nearly saw this too!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Currently 16.0, hoping to get close to single digit in a year, expecting to drop at least a couple of strokes. Mostly by being more consistent with my irons and tee shots.

I'll be about the same, 7-8 range. I'd probably have to give up playing, hit balls every day, and take lessons every 2 two weeks to be able to change my swing enough to get more than a shot or so better.

My father went through that a few years ago at the age of 71 and he did just fine, treatment has gotten much better for it.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks - The prognosis is very good thanks to the advanced surgery techniques.

• Upvote 1

You're too young to take on this attitude, there are plenty of older 10-12 handicaps around. . .

Manage expectations so that you have a good chance of exceeding expectations.  That's what I like to do.  (And by the way, it's really effective in a work enviornment. Don't over-promise and under-deliver, rather under-promise and over-deliver.)

prediction: 6 I work 6 days a week on every event of the golf game I've dropped from 25 to 11 in 3 months but I know single did hits is hardest to improve. hope: 4 or better

I definitely predict that mine will be lower.  Since I've started keeping a handicap (a few months ago), I've actually started working on getting better and every round I post lowers it as the older (crappy) rounds clear.

How much lower?  My goal: get into the teens.  My prediction (if I were betting money on it): low 20's.

- John

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Manage expectations so that you have a good chance of exceeding expectations.  That's what I like to do.  (And by the way, it's really effective in a work enviornment. Don't over-promise and under-deliver, rather under-promise and over-deliver.)

Sure, but it sounded like you were giving up completely. . .

Good to know you still plan to improve. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My goal is to be an 18. (As much as I keep a HC)

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Good to know you still plan to improve.

I just look at this a bit differently.  I don't plan to improve, rather I plan on doing the things that will lead to improvement.

I don't like to set a goal that I'll be a 14 HI 12 months from now.  In my opinion that's not a goal, it's an aspiration.

Rather, I like to set goals like this:

1 - Starting up Evolvr again

2 - Play a round at least once a week.

3 - Identify priority piece and practice working on that at least 5 times a week.

If I do that I'm satisfied regardless of what happens to my HI.

But this thread asks where I think I'll be.  Seeing as I'm going to trend up on the next revision, my best realistic guess is that I'll be about the same as I am now.  Still I'll be working to get better.

Now: 11.2

Prediction: 4.2

7 stroke improvement because I'll be playing 3x a week and practicing multiple times a week for the first time in my life. I've never lived in year-round golf weather before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Good to know you still plan to improve.

I just look at this a bit differently.  I don't plan to improve, rather I plan on doing the things that will lead to improvement.

I don't like to set a goal that I'll be a 14 HI 12 months from now.  In my opinion that's not a goal, it's an aspiration.

Rather, I like to set goals like this:

1 - Starting up Evolvr again

2 - Play a round at least once a week.

3 - Identify priority piece and practice working on that at least 5 times a week.

If I do that I'm satisfied regardless of what happens to my HI.

But this thread asks where I think I'll be.  Seeing as I'm going to trend up on the next revision, my best realistic guess is that I'll be about the same as I am now.  Still I'll be working to get better.

Nice approach! If you're always worked up about your score you will most likely start swinging funny to "adapt" to the shot or something insane like that.

I'm also only planning on 2-3 rounds a week and practicing all the other days. 7-8 rounds a week was getting to be too much, and my swing was completely crapping out. I had a partner walk up to me this morning as I hit a drive, and he said "Your swing's really improved a lot in the last few months." Coming from him, it was a really nice complement, and it was all basically due to practicing more and starting to practice a bit more effectively.

Basically, I don't care about my score and am still scoring okay. I really like that I can play a completely new course with a nickname like "Tierra Tooharda" and be able to enjoy a round there.

I think you'll enjoy this new mindset.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I will drop next year no doubt.Only playing weekends and i'm a 9 will get back to 4-5 per week next year with range time.

Titleist 915D2 Aldila Rogue black stiff
Titleist 913 f 15° Diamana stiff
Titleist 913 f 19 Diamana stiff
Titleist AP2 714 4-pw dg s300
Vokey sm5 56 m grind
Vokey sm5 60 m grind

putter odyssey collection 6m milled 34

Now: 11.2 Prediction: 4.2 7 stroke improvement because I'll be playing 3x a week and practicing multiple times a week for the first time in my life. I've never lived in year-round golf weather before.

Sounds great! You know what? This is a prediction after all, and I'm not held to be correct. I'll try the same thing. I predict you to have a better chance of making it though. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If I get and stay healthy, I should be better. Probably about 3-4 strokes better. I was shooting quite a bit lower before I was on the dl.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

If I get and stay healthy, I should be better. Probably about 3-4 strokes better. I was shooting quite a bit lower before I was on the dl.

i'm hoping for the health part too (for both of us :beer: )... since i don't have an official hc, my hope for next year is: a) to actually play... b) to put up at least 18 hole score that starts with a "7"... that hasn't happened in a few years... if "a" happens, then i have at least a reasonable shot at "b"... reasonable, not guaranteed...

Don't have a HC, but I shoot about 10-12 over on championship courses.  After close to 20 years of sporadic playing (kids, coaching life etc) I got my wife to play.  So this summer I spent much time on the range with her and she loves the game.

Number one man on HS golf team (many years ago) I was playing at 1-2 over during matches.  I would like to get back to 5-6 over by next year.  Old guy now (59 years) but I can still hit it with confidence.

Great game!

With a large deal less time and money to golf, as well as with no tournaments to practice for, I see my handicap likely doing a backwards slide after my first year of college. Unfortunately, them's the breaks.

Note: This thread is 2774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!