IGNORED

Jordan Spieth vs Jason Day at Presidents Cup, Who Wins?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the match?

• Jordan Spieth
    • Jason Day

If Jason Day and Jordan Spieth play each other in singles at the Presidents Cup next week, who do you think wins and why. Also what do you think the score of the match will be?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tough call but just to take a side I'll offer the following: I think it depends what's riding on the match. If the matches are close and the point is important, I give the nod to Spieth just because he's a money player and found his mojo again, Day is pretty well spent (he admitted as much this weekend). If the US is way ahead, Spieth probably doesn't grind as much and Day wins. Both are very good match play players.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

If Jason Day and Jordan Spieth play each other in singles at the Presidents Cup next week, who do you think wins and why. Also what do you think the score of the match will be?

The answer is "the viewers win." I hadn't considered that pairing possibility but it'd be marvelous and now I'm rooting for it so hard. That said... Spieth wins 2 &1. Wouldn't mind McIlroy crashing it WWE style to make it a Triple Threat match, haha.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Voted Speith. The putting just seems to matter more from a mental standpoint in those events.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

The answer is "the viewers win." I hadn't considered that pairing possibility but it'd be marvelous and now I'm rooting for it so hard. That said... Spieth wins 2 &1. Wouldn't mind McIlroy crashing it WWE style to make it a Triple Threat match, haha.

Funny you mention McIlroy. Always thought it'd be a good idea to do a Cup where all 3 teams play each other at once. Could do it every 4 years. Would make for even better TV and the fans win. Imagine a singles with Spieth vs Day vs McIlroy.

Voting Spieth out of home team bias but it's a coin flip in my mind. I honestly don't know who's 'A' game is better. Day is the more physically talented/impressive player (similar to Rory) but the mental edge/putting/gamesmanship side of the coin goes to Spieth IMO. Either way, I just hope we get to see it happen. With all the hype around these two guys and the desire to boost the relevance of the PC, I'll be reasonably surprised if the captains don't give it to us.

I will be the first to pick Day. He's a very good match player Spieth peaks for the Majors and Tour champioships. Not sure if he's a good team player. Day 5-4. Day wants to prove to Spieth he will #1 again

Jordan for sure. I think Jason has had his run for this year. A great run at that but seems to have just fallen off at the Tour championship, maybe the expectation got to him? I think the same will happen that the Pres Cup. He will be the worlds top player for a change and people will expect full amount of points from him in how ever many matches he plays. The world team is stronger this year so I say get them out first match in the singles and make their point matter instead of it being the last point when the cup might already be won.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

Jordan for sure. I think Jason has had his run for this year. A great run at that but seems to have just fallen off at the Tour championship, maybe the expectation got to him? I think the same will happen that the Pres Cup. He will be the worlds top player for a change and people will expect full amount of points from him in how ever many matches he plays.

Actually Spieth is back to World's #1 in golf

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Actually Spieth is back to World's #1 in golf

Yeah I know, What I meant was that Jason would be the internationals top player on the team. Sorry I worded it wrong.

WITB

Callaway Big Berth Alpha Driver 9* Stiff shaft

Adams 18 DHY

Titliest AP2 3-PW Project X 5.5

Nike VR 56*

Never Compromise Sub30 Type 40

My Swing

I think Day's length will be a big factor, Spieth relies mainly on his putting skills, it will come down on how hot his putter is that day.

In any case that will be THE match to watch!

I somewhat agree with this. Day is pretty strong, but the length might only help him on the par 5 holes. The par 4 seem to be relatively tame for the most part with nothing over 477 yards?  http://jacknicklausgolfclubkorea.com/eng/pages/course/course_overview.asp

Match play favors strong putters IMO, but I don't really have that much experience. It's just a wild guess.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The captains should call each other and say "hey, how awesome would it be to have Day and Spieth face off?? Let's do this and make it happen!"

Colin P.

The captains should call each other and say "hey, how awesome would it be to have Day and Spieth face off?? Let's do this and make it happen!"

Pres. Cup pairings are different than Ryder Cup. They will face off in singles, no doubt about it.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Pres. Cup pairings are different than Ryder Cup. They will face off in singles, no doubt about it.

I know nothing about the format. That's interesting to know.

Colin P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

I know nothing about the format. That's interesting to know.

What makes you so sure, @Gunther ?  From what I can gather, it seems as though it's just like they're picking sides for a schoolyard game of basketball.  One guy throws out their first name and the other counters, then he throws out a name that is matched up, and so on and so on. Here's an example from 2011.

The captain that happens to go second when either Spieth or Day first gets thrown out (that is, if he even lets it happen) there actually has to want the matchup.  Perhaps they will strategize differently?  In 2013, everybody wanted a Woods vs. Scott matchup, but that didn't happen because Nick Price didn't want it.

Quote:
In Sunday’s pairings news conference, where one captain puts a player on the board and the other counters with an opponent, Internationals captain Nick Price took a possible No. 1 vs. No. 2 pairing of Woods and Adam Scott out of play. After U.S. captain Fred Couples put Bill Haas on the board in the sixth singles match, Price countered with Scott. Three pairings later, Price put Sterne on the board in the ninth singles match. Couples countered with Woods.

I hope you're right though.

What makes you so sure, @Gunther ?  From what I can gather, it seems as though it's just like they're picking sides for a schoolyard game of basketball.  One guy throws out their first name and the other counters, then he throws out a name that is matched up, and so on and so on.  [URL=http://news.cybergolf.com/golf_news/captains_discuss_pairings_teams_chances_in_presidents_cup]Here's an example from 2011.[/URL] The captain that happens to go second when either Spieth or Day first gets thrown out (that is, if he even lets it happen) there actually has to want the matchup.  Perhaps they will strategize differently?  In 2013, everybody wanted a Woods vs. Scott matchup, but that didn't happen because [URL=http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/presidents-cup-pairings-sunday-singles/]Nick Price didn't want it.[/URL] I hope you're right though.

Right, rather than slot 1-12 on each side, then reveal each match-up, they do it as described. I'm pretty confident the Captains will be encouraged by the players themselves, the media, and their respective governing bodies to ensure a World #1 vs. World #2 match-up.

Note: This thread is 3120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!