IGNORED

Pros without caddies?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just wondering how the pros would do in a tournament if that had to carry their own clubs and had no caddies (like us mere mortals). Who might win the tournament?

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They would probably take a bit of time to adjust and probably play at most a stroke or two worse.  I assume all of them would get a trolley so that physically the toll is minimized.  Finding the ball anyway is not so much of an issue with the spectators and TV cameras, so remove that from the equation.  The only real struggle I can see is the caddies tend to do all the pre-round work of mapping the course and particularly the green.  Also yardages are also given to the player by the caddie.  Once they adjust to this, the biggest problem I can see is caddies who are able to talk players out of glory shots by suggesting "take your medicine" with a bogey at worst, and if that calming influence is not there, some players are more likely to have blow up holes that they really shouldn't.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I don't think there would be a drop-off for most of the younger players. Many players on mini tours do not have caddies; those that do have caddies are usually using girlfriends or family members. Also, many of the players played in college, where there are no caddies.

2 minutes ago, Baog said:

I don't think there would be a drop-off for most of the younger players. Many players on mini tours do not have caddies; those that do have caddies are usually using girlfriends or family members. Also, many of the players played in college, where there are no caddies.

Like @Baog said the pro's do have to carry their own bags in many of the lower tours such as the EuroPro tour and Jamega Tour in the UK. They do however seem to use trolleys most of the time. To be fair, the prize money is so low a hiring a caddie probably isnt worthwhile.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

I think the mileage would vary from player to player, depending on how dependent a player has become on his caddie.  Some players credit their caddie for winning a tournament.  Others change caddies often.  

(Me?   I bet my score will improve by 5 strokes.   )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I think once they got use to it and it became their new routine it wouldn't affect their game much at all.

For me, I'm pretty sure I'd play worse with a caddy.  I love having a routine, anything that throws me off my routine negatively affects my play.

Edited by No Mulligans

Remember, most of them came up through the high level collegiate ranks where they had no caddies.  The older guys would feel it more than the young flat bellies, but these guys can play, no matter what.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Remember, most of them came up through the high level collegiate ranks where they had no caddies.  The older guys would feel it more than the young flat bellies, but these guys can play, no matter what.

Stevie strongly disagrees :-P

Right, the majority of pros that are successful on tour were successful in college when they carried their own bags.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I say take the caddies away,  give them a range finder and tell them to play faster!  In all seriousness though,  I think a lot of then would struggle.  That is a LOT of walking.  You would certainly see staff bags go away though. 

I think the people who'd suffer the most (or at least complain the most) would be the sponsors.  All of the players would switch to light carry bags and there would be a lot less room for giant logos. :-P

Some of the guys who have come to rely on the crutch of their caddy confirming their alignment might struggle a tiny bit at first, but I imagine that most of them would keep right on trucking.  Play might slow down a little because they'd have a harder time doing some of their yardage stuff while their caddy was carrying their bag between shots or holes though.

I do not understand the fascination with having players play in sub-optimal conditions. No caddies, old clubs, muni-level courses, even wooden shafts have been advocated at one time or another as an "interesting" variant.

I mean, you never hear anyone saying, "Gee, we should have some major leagues baseball games where the players have to use the gloves and mitts from the 1920's.  Or no one says, "Let's have some NFL games where the players have to wear those old leather helmets."  Or, "Lets have some Major League Soccer games played on half dirt half grass crappy field."

I suspect the reason is that we play this game and we do not play those, so we want to see the players humbled to our level.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

1 hour ago, turtleback said:

I suspect the reason is that we play this game and we do not play those, so we want to see the players humbled to our level.

You nailed it, I think.   It's the envy.   If I have caddie, their equipment, the best instructors, .....

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Generally, I don't think it'll make much of a difference, with or without, but I can think of a couple of exceptions where it might.

For example in hot weather, where there are delays and 27 or 36 holes have to be played in one day. Most pros are in shape now, but there are still a few who could stand to get in better shape who would not have much in the tank during the last few holes.

Young hot headed kids/rookies who need a disciplinary/calming influence although I wonder just how effective a caddie would be in this situation unless caddie was a big brother or similar.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, turtleback said:

I mean, you never hear anyone saying, "Gee, we should have some major leagues baseball games where the players have to use the gloves and mitts from the 1920's. 

I'm not sure MLB, where they still use wooden bats, is the best analogy for your point.

The PGA tour doesn't allow golf carts or range finders, so why would it be fundamentally different to disallow caddies? I'd be interested in seeing how the pros do carrying their own clubs but I also like to watch them playing their best on the back nine of a four day tournament.

16 minutes ago, Baog said:

I'd be interested in seeing how the pros do carrying their own clubs 

Don't mean this to sound rude but why? It really wouldn't change things. They do know how to walk and get their own yardages ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

10 minutes ago, mvmac said:

It really wouldn't change things.

I think it would change things--not dramatically but noticeably. A particularly hilly or high altitude course would potentially give the fittest players an added advantage. Players would have a harder time in wet conditions because they'd have to carry their own water logged gear. 

I recognize that this would add elements to the game that aren't traditionally "golf" but I would be interested to see it and it might create some separation to the huge collection of really good players that now exists.

10 minutes ago, mvmac said:

They do know how to walk and get their own yardages ;-)

Then why not let them use carts and range finders? If we were just interested in seeing them hit the best golf shots possible, we would allow it. It just so happens that we've drawn the line at no to carts and no to electronic distance measuring but yes to caddies--mostly for tradition's sake, I think. I wish the line had been drawn at no caddies either.

38 minutes ago, Baog said:

The PGA tour doesn't allow golf carts or range finders, so why would it be fundamentally different to disallow caddies?

Caddies have been an integral part of golf for a long time. Also range finders will probably be allowed by the USGA in the next few years. 

39 minutes ago, Baog said:

I'd be interested in seeing how the pros do carrying their own clubs but I also like to watch them playing their best on the back nine of a four day tournament.

I wouldn't. It would just slow down the game even more on the PGA Tour. 

2 minutes ago, Baog said:

A particularly hilly or high altitude course would potentially give the fittest players an added advantage. Players would have a harder time in wet conditions because they'd have to carry their own water logged gear. 

Golf is a sport. Being fit is part of it. Tiger changed the way the game is played. If the player doesn't want to get into the weight room and have extra endurance then that is their choice in giving themselves a disadvantage.

4 minutes ago, Baog said:

Then why not let them use carts and range finders? If we were just interested in seeing them hit the best golf shots possible, we would allow it. It just so happens that we've drawn the line at no to carts and no to electronic distance measuring but yes to caddies--mostly for tradition's sake, I think. I wish the line had been drawn at no caddies either.

Again, the USGA is testing out rangefinders in their Amateur tournaments. I wouldn't be surprised to see it allowed here in the next few years. 

Even then I am sure some golfers would still want their caddies to use the yardage book because it can be added to over the years. 

There is no real good argument to get rid of caddies. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

11 minutes ago, Baog said:

I think it would change things--not dramatically but noticeably. A particularly hilly or high altitude course would potentially give the fittest players an added advantage. Players would have a harder time in wet conditions because they'd have to carry their own water logged gear. 

I disagree it would noticeably change things and it certainly wouldn't make the golf more interesting. In terms of endurance, the players walk now and I don't think carrying a Hoofer-type bag would change things that much.

The player it would effect the most would be Bubba Watson, he wouldn't have anyone to blame for his bad shots ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Note: This thread is 3093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!