IGNORED

Best/Favorite Lyricists of the 20th Century?

Dave325
Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've always appreciated great music... Usually from the 60's and 70's era (my wife tells me that I'm stuck in the 60s... And I take that as a badge of honor :dance:....). But only later in life did I come to really appreciate good lyrics. So, just wondering what others see as the best or favorite lyricists of the 20th century. Yeah, gotta cut it off somewhere... So the 20th century is still a long time.  Some that I could start the list with might be...

- Bob Dylan

- Phil Ochs

- Jim Morrison

- Lennon/McCartney

Others? We might find some in this list that we've never heard too. Always looking for little known gems.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry Chapin, Jimmy Buffett are storytellers, which I like. Lennon and McCarty, Billy Joel are excellent too. There are many more. Any lyric that becomes part of the lexicon is worthy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Besides those already listed, a few more come to mind. Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, Buddy Holly, Tom Petty, and Jim Croce put a lot of their own words to music. I suppose the Gershwin brothers could be on someone's list too. It really boils down to one's favorite type of music. I"m sure there are some great country/western writers that could be named. Dean Dillon? How about those who wrote some of The Eagles songs?  Lots of great song writers in the 20th century.

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Tom Waits and Robert Hunter. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Bob Dylan

Billy Joel

Bruce Spingsteen

Eminem

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

22 minutes ago, Dan42nepa said:

Paul Simon and Bob Dylan

Oh, Snap! Forgot about Paul Simon!

hard to choose just one. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

57 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Tom Waits and Robert Hunter. 

Oh yeah .. Robert Hunter... And it's hard to mention him with including the great, Jerry Garcia.

Dave

Leonard Cohen

Nick Cave

Stephen Sondheim

Natalie Merchant

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

A few to add to the list:

Joe Strummer and Mick Jones

Bowie

Bono (Paul Hewson) sometimes assisted by The Edge

Pete Townshend

Michael Hutchence

Lou Reed

Prince

Irving Berlin

Johnnie Cash

Peter Gabriel

Eric Clapton 

Madonna

Paul Simon

Lennon/McCartney

Jagger/Richards

Ray Davies

Bernie Taupin

Edited by phan52

Bill M

The Boss (Bruce Springsteen) 

Jimmy Buffett (My favorite) 

Lennon/McCartney 

Jagger/Richards

Bernie Taupin wrote some great stuff for Elton 

There are more that do not come to mind at the moment.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Springsteen

Dylan

Petty

Seger

McCartney

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

9 minutes ago, isukgolf said:

The Boss (Bruce Springsteen) 

Jimmy Buffett (My favorite) 

Lennon/McCartney 

Jagger/Richards

Bernie Taupin wrote some great stuff for Elton 

There are more that do not come to mind at the moment.

One of my favorite lyrics from The Boss, Streets of Philadelphia. So so devastating.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Leonard Cohen

Nick Cave

Stephen Sondheim

Natalie Merchant

I love the Nick Cave stuff... I wasn't familiar with the Bad Seeds. Thanks for sharing that. Reminds of another artist that is a great lyricist... Nick Drake.

6 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

A few to add to the list:

Joe Strummer and Mick Jones

Bowie

Bono (Paul Hewson) sometimes assisted by The Edge

Pete Townshend

Michael Hutchence

Lou Reed

Prince

Irving Berlin

Johnnie Cash

Peter Gabriel

Eric Clapton 

Madonna

Ah yes.... Great picks too... Especially Lou Reed, and the stuff back in Velvet Unground days was fabulous. I saw Lou twice in concert back in the 70s.  Ah... And of course, Eric.

Dave

Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!