IGNORED

Blade vs Mallet Putters

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is there any gain to using a blade style putter over a mallet style? I know mallet style like the Taylormade Daddy Long Legs are more forgiving. Wouldn't you want more forgiveness in all clubs even a putter?

Edited by freshmanUTA

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

Is there any gain to using a blade style putter over a mallet style? I know mallet style like the Taylormade Daddy Long Legs are more forgiving. Wouldn't you want more forgiveness in all clubs even a putter?

Like most anything in golf it depends on the person. 

I am a big supporter of getting fitted for your putter. I really support Edel putters. If you are going to shell out the cash for a putter then get an Edel. Their fitting system is very detailed. 

Even the change in if there are lines, how many lines, where the lines are at can drastically change how you aim the putter. 

Also they fit you for weighting. I have a 370 gram clubhead with 40 grams of counterbalance. This helped me tremendously smooth out my stroke. I went from struggling to hit a putt 15 feet consistently to nailing it over and over again. 

If you don't want to shell out a lot of money. Then it is just trial and error. Which can get expensive if you keep buying putters every year. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Its a personal preference kinda thing. For me both are great, but when I switched to a blade if it lips, it lips in, for some reason unbeknownst to me, with a mallet if the putt lipped, it lipped out. Also, fit for stroke is a bit overrated but if u have a stronger arc, I highly suggest a blade.

This is how I chose my putter.

I went to golfsmith and tried almost every brand, I literally had no budget.  I assumed that I would end up with a Scotty Cameron, but I could never get used to them.  The Ping Tomcat C felt the best in my hands.  It might not be the "best choice" for me, does what I want it to.

:tmade: SLDR 10.5 Driver, SLDR 3 Wood,3H & 5H,RBZ Iron's 4-PW

:vokey: 54°F-Grind 14°bounce &  58°K-grind 11° bounce
:scotty_cameron: Newport 2.5

Agree very much with what @saevel25 said. A blade might work for one player and be horrible for another, just depends on the "fit" for that player. The look, design and feel/weight of the putter all play an important role.

1 hour ago, GordonRamsay said:

The Ping Tomcat C felt the best in my hands.  It might not be the "best choice" for me, does what I want it to.

Sounds like you made the right choice :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

4 hours ago, saevel25 said:

If you don't want to shell out a lot of money. Then it is just trial and error. Which can get expensive if you keep buying putters every year. 

This is probably what I'm going to do. I think I've found a taylormade counterbalance putter that has felt amazing the last 3 times I've gone and I'm going to go one more time to be sure. I just felt weird that everyone likes blade styles and I was looking at a mallet style.

2 hours ago, GordonRamsay said:

This is how I chose my putter.

I went to golfsmith and tried almost every brand, I literally had no budget.  I assumed that I would end up with a Scotty Cameron, but I could never get used to them.  The Ping Tomcat C felt the best in my hands.  It might not be the "best choice" for me, does what I want it to.

that's basically what I did minus the no budget part.

7 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

This is probably what I'm going to do. I think I've found a taylormade counterbalance putter that has felt amazing the last 3 times I've gone and I'm going to go one more time to be sure. I just felt weird that everyone likes blade styles and I was looking at a mallet style.

Do what works. There are many different putters, putting grips, and putting technique on the PGA Tour. If putting behind their back allowed them to make more putts they would do it. There is no shame in using something someone else isn't using. I think too many players have preconceived notions they should use certain equipment because it either looks cool or they are copying a golfer when it doesn't help them at all. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Incredible feel doesn't get ball into hole --- without a real fit, it's your aim and whether the head weight is close to what you need, along with lie and shaft length.

Find a putter that when you aim at the hole, the head is lined up so you are aimed at the hole. Also, the head shape will allow you to see the line better (aim).

Laser aimer, or low tech like the SeeMore Triangulator will tell you about aim.

I've had blade/anser style, heel shafted, center shafted, etc. With center shafted blades, I tend to aim left. With heel shafted anser styles, I tend to aim right. With a heel shafted mallet, I tend to aim at the hole.

You need the weight and counterbalance correct so the club stays with you during the stroke - hands don't run ahead or behind during stroke.

Doing it the way you are doing is pot luck, and you have a 99% chance of making another purchase soon.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Basically, if you have a straight back and through putting stroke, you should use a mallet. If your stroke has the blade opening and closing, you should use the blade. If you go for a putter fitting, the fitter will recommend this for you.

I switched from a very big mallet to a very skinny blade several months ago thanks to a putter fitting.  While my new putter may fit me better while using it the normal way there is one problem I noticed:  The mallet is much better for putting from off the green.  That includes when you are on the green but up against the fringe.  The mallet just tramples errant blades of grass like a locomotive whereas I'm very conscious of the possibility the blade will get snagged by them.

On the other hand a blade gives you the possibility of turning it sideways and hitting a "toe shot" which Tiger has been shown doing a few times.  I haven't learned that one yet though.  Actually, on the practice green I sometimes stand right behind the ball and hit it with the toe croquet style so I can see the break better.  So there's another plus.

Use what gets the ball in the hole best for you.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Entirely up to the person. I should probably get fit for one but I just love buying and having putters. Currently have an 8802 and I just love how classic and beautiful it is 

If you can't aim the putter, it doesn't matter how good it feels or how well you stroke it. In fact, you're probably better off with a crappy stroke, maybe it will go off line and actually hit the hole! 

:-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Alohaed said:

Basically, if you have a straight back and through putting stroke, you should use a mallet. If your stroke has the blade opening and closing, you should use the blade. If you go for a putter fitting, the fitter will recommend this for you.

That's pretty old advice that really doesn't hold up much under inspection.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

Well after all this I found the putter. A good ol fashioned wooden one. Feels great, had the laser test aimed directly at the center of the flagstick, and even better: I can control the distance!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fifty years ago I loved my Bullseye.

Today I do best with an Old Master heel shafted mallet.

Each to their own, and their own will likely change. ;-)

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Some putters are "face balanced" (mostly mallets) and some putters are "toe balanced" (mostly blades) and one of them is usually better for your type of swing. It does make a difference.

Ping makes some putters in between.

Length is also important. Too long or too short is bad for your technique.

21 minutes ago, arturo28mx said:

Some putters are "face balanced" (mostly mallets) and some putters are "toe balanced" (mostly blades) and one of them is usually better for your type of swing. It does make a difference.

Ping makes some putters in between.

Length is also important. Too long or too short is bad for your technique.

I don't think it's that simple. After doing a fitting I think it has more to do with how you aim a certain shape not how it fits your stroke.  

Note: This thread is 2948 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!