or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Donald Sterling Banned for Life
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Donald Sterling Banned for Life

post #1 of 192
Thread Starter 

After confirmed that the racial statements made by Donald Stirling were him, Donald Stirling has been banned for life. 

 

Though he has not been banned from owning the team. Only the board of governors can force a sale of the team. Stirling is banned from anything associated by the NBA. He can not attend games, practices, or any of the Clipper's facilities. 

 

Personally I applaud this decision. Stirling has ever right to his own bigotry, and the NBA shouldn't allow such a man own a team in the NBA. Especially since, I believe 80% of the NBA is African American. This type of culture should not be allowed in the NBA especially from an owner of a team. 

 

Though he still owns the team, and the Commissioner is pushing the Board of Governors to force the selling of the team. 

post #2 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

After confirmed that the racial statements made by Donald Stirling were him, Donald Stirling has been banned for life. 

 

Though he has not been banned from owning the team. Only the board of governors can force a sale of the team. Stirling is banned from anything associated by the NBA. He can not attend games, practices, or any of the Clipper's facilities. 

 

Personally I applaud this decision. Stirling has ever right to his own bigotry, and the NBA shouldn't allow such a man own a team in the NBA. Especially since, I believe 80% of the NBA is African American. This type of culture should not be allowed in the NBA especially from an owner of a team. 

 

Though he still owns the team, and the Commissioner is pushing the Board of Governors to force the selling of the team. 

This type of attitude shouldn't be tolerated in any situation. I hope his colleagues ostracize him and that he's forced into selling his franchise. Good luck with the free agent market dipshit! :-P

post #3 of 192
Good riddance.
post #4 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

Though he still owns the team, and the Commissioner is pushing the Board of Governors to force the selling of the team.

Yeah, I would assume that as well.  According to some of the stuff I've read about him, the reason he likes owning the team is to be able to scmooze with the players, and sit courtside with celebrities, and show off for friends, etc, etc.  Basically all the stuff he's not going to be able to do anymore.

 

I would guess that this was thought to be the best first step towards getting him to sell.

 

And it's already well known, BTW, that Magic Johnson's group (oh, the irony) that bought the Dodgers is very interested in buying the Clippers (since the Busses aren't selling the Lakers anytime soon).

post #5 of 192
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Yeah, I would assume that as well.  According to some of the stuff I've read about him, the reason he likes owning the team is to be able to scmooze with the players, and sit courtside with celebrities, and show off for friends, etc, etc.  Basically all the stuff he's not going to be able to do anymore.

 

I would guess that this was thought to be the best first step towards getting him to sell.

 

And it's already well known, BTW, that Magic Johnson's group (oh, the irony) that bought the Dodgers is very interested in buying the Clippers (since the Busses aren't selling the Lakers anytime soon).

 

Good that would be poetic irony for Magic Johnson to own the Clippers due to the fact many of the racial comments were stemmed from Stirling not wanting Johnson at the Clippers games, invited by his so called girlfriend. 

post #6 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

 

And it's already well known, BTW, that Magic Johnson's group (oh, the irony) that bought the Dodgers is very interested in buying the Clippers (since the Busses aren't selling the Lakers anytime soon).

 

That Instagram pic was not a coincidence, Magic masterminded this whole thing!  ;-)

post #7 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Yeah, I would assume that as well.  According to some of the stuff I've read about him, the reason he likes owning the team is to be able to scmooze with the players, and sit courtside with celebrities, and show off for friends, etc, etc.  Basically all the stuff he's not going to be able to do anymore.

 

I would guess that this was thought to be the best first step towards getting him to sell.

 

And it's already well known, BTW, that Magic Johnson's group (oh, the irony) that bought the Dodgers is very interested in buying the Clippers (since the Busses aren't selling the Lakers anytime soon).

The problem is that this guy has literal "f you" money and he's a multi-billionaire. Once he sells the team, he'll probably come out with around $600-800M as a rough estimate of the team's value (it could go for more, obviously).

In the end, he'll still be schmoozing with people who have more money than they know what to do with. He'll also continue living his life as a racist as well because let's face it, he's been a racist for many years and he's not going to change his point of view at this stage in his life. I'd rather not hear any politically correct apologies written by somebody that he pays. I'd rather not hear that he's dedicating his time to working with inner-city youths and donating money to the NAACP (buying awards). I'd much rather he sells the team and moves on quickly and quietly.

post #8 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

Personally I applaud this decision. Stirling has ever right to his own bigotry, and the NBA shouldn't allow such a man own a team in the NBA. Especially since, I believe 80% of the NBA is African American. This type of culture should not be allowed in the NBA especially from an owner of a team.  

One, good riddance. Two, I'd applaud it even if 0% of the NBA were African-American. There are some attitudes that just shouldn't be welcome in society, and racism is one of them.
post #9 of 192
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindig View Post


One, good riddance. Two, I'd applaud it even if 0% of the NBA were African-American. There are some attitudes that just shouldn't be welcome in society, and racism is one of them.

 

Well that is true, but especially in the case of the NBA were one of the owners said it. That just bring it to a whole new level in my opinion, just because of the position of power Stirling is in. 

post #10 of 192

I'm glad they threw the book at this bigot.  

post #11 of 192

A concerning precedent.  A private conversation, recorded without knowledge.  Disgusting to be sure, but someone expressing a personal preference and opinion, whether we agree with it or not.

 

I wonder if the NBA will be consistent going forward when the next owner/coach/player makes an intemperate remark that is caught on mike.....

post #12 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

A concerning precedent.  A private conversation, recorded without knowledge.  Disgusting to be sure, but someone expressing a personal preference and opinion, whether we agree with it or not.

 

I wonder if the NBA will be consistent going forward.....

 

 

And Sterling has had issues like this long ago, i.e. racist remarks. IMHO, If they are going to ban him, then he should sell the Clippers, as I think it would be an awkward situation for all concerned. 

post #13 of 192
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

A concerning precedent.  A private conversation, recorded without knowledge.  Disgusting to be sure, but someone expressing a personal preference and opinion, whether we agree with it or not.

 

I wonder if the NBA will be consistent going forward when the next owner/coach/player makes an intemperate remark that is caught on mike.....

 

 

Yea that was my only concern. But since NBA is about branding, what you do outside reflects on you as an owner as well. 

post #14 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
 

A concerning precedent.  A private conversation, recorded without knowledge.  Disgusting to be sure, but someone expressing a personal preference and opinion, whether we agree with it or not.

 

I wonder if the NBA will be consistent going forward when the next owner/coach/player makes an intemperate remark that is caught on mike.....

I totally get that, however, this is not really about these comments by themselves.  Everybody already knew he was a racist, sexist pig, but there was never really any official "proof."

 

So, in my view, they aren't banning him because of these comments, they were just the necessary missing piece.

 

This is why I think this does not set a precedent and that the NBA does not have to be consistent (in the way you are suggesting) going forward.

post #15 of 192
F**k racists.

F**k homophobic gay bashers.

F**k arseholes in general.

Seriously, if you can't get along with, or at the very least be tolerant of others, go get your own ****ing planet.
post #16 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

F**k racists.

F**k homophobic gay bashers.

F**k *******s in general.

Seriously, if you can't get along with, or at the very least be tolerant of others, go get your own ****ing planet.

But hey, you're not being tolerant of racists!

a2_wink.gif
post #17 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yeah, but it's not really about these comments by themselves.  Everybody already knew he was a racist, sexist pig, but there was never really any official "proof."

So, in my view, they aren't banning him because of these comments, they were just the necessary missing piece.

This is why I think this does not set a precedent and that the NBA does not have to be consistent (in the way you are suggesting) going forward.

Sorry, they could have taken action any time. It's only because this became public that it's happened now.

He's an extremely litigious attorney with more money than he could ever spend. He's going to make it his life's work to prove that he's being treated in a manner that's inconsistent with how others are treated.

And truth be told, as disgusting as he is, in time, he's going to be able to demonstrate that. This isn't going to end well for the NBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

But hey, you're not being tolerant of racists!

a2_wink.gif

True. Tolerance works both ways.

Too many people demand tolerance of their own point of view, but draw the line at those viewpoints with which they disagree.

I think everyone here knows me well enough to know how I feel about Sterling's asinine comments, but these things cut both ways....
post #18 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

But hey, you're not being tolerant of racists!

a2_wink.gif
They're not human beings, so they don't count.
b2_tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › Donald Sterling Banned for Life