IGNORED

First Time Out

dbuck
Note: This thread is 1822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last Friday, I ventured out for the first time, albeit in a shamble.  A buddy/neighbor called and invited me to a benefit scramble. I hadn't hit a real golf shot since November, so I went to the range early, hit a bucket, and putted for about 30 minutes. I left the course, had lunch, went home and changed clothes, and returned in time to hit the range again for a warm up. I was pleasantly surprised, especially with my iron play. I can tell I've had another birthday, as I was a bit stiff after the round. I need to drop my winter fat, and that will help a bit, hopefully.

How are the rest of you coming out of hibernation?

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've been practicing each week about 2 hours indoors.   It's not the same but it helps.   I'm active in other activities so that helps

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• iacas changed the title to First Time Out
21 minutes ago, LMoore said:

While it’s not Fla. or Calif, Augusta is year round. I couldn’t imagine having the weather you guys have up north.

I've played once this year and tonight I watched a high school soccer game with the temperatures in the low 30s and about a 15 mph wind.     It's suppose to be near 60 Sunday.     We definitely have variety

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

4 hours ago, dbuck said:

How are the rest of you coming out of hibernation?

Like this.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Heck, out where I live, even the snakes don't go into full hibernation. 

It's either warm enough to play, or not cold enough, not to play during our winter months. . 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Same same as bowling.  Once it comes back to you it does so...with a vengeance.

• Like 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I was away to ski since Thanksgiving of last year and have not touched a golf club until last weekend when I played my first round of the year. It was not too bad considering how much time I took off. Did not lose much of my swing, distance, or putting accuracy (surprisingly), but definitely lost touch in my chipping. I had alot of 1 chip 1 putt at the end of last season and I have completely forgotten how to do that...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billchao said:

Like this.

They are so cute until you realize they would eat your face just because they can!

We didn’t go south this winter so our first time out was last Saturday. It was good to hit balls away from a range for a change.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

We didn’t go south this winter so our first time out was last Saturday. It was good to hit balls away from a range for a change.

I usually don't go to the range. If my swing is right, the ball goes where I expect it to.

Booked my first tee time on Sunday so let the adventures begin!

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Tomorrow (Saturday 4-5) will be my second time as I played a quick 9 holes about 2 weeks ago, but it's the first competition of the season.  It will be the Men's Club's  traditional rust remover 5-man scramble, still one of my favorite tournaments each year.  It's fun to get back together with golf friends that I don't see all winter long, and to meet some of the new members.  It's the least stressful tournament of the season, and my first time playing under the new rules for 2019 and beyond.  And yes, we play all of our competitions by the rules - in this case as closely as possible within the natural limitations of a scramble format.

Welcome everyone to golf, 2019 style.  👍

• Like 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I played a solo round last Saturday.  As a practice round with no one near me I took multiple shots on most holes and hit some good shots and some terrible ones.  I managed to clear out most of the loose golf balls in my bag but enjoyed myself. I did go to the range twice this week after declaring myself not ready for prime time yet and my swing is coming back (for my 16 handicap).

• Like 1

We've had a really early end to winter here in Minnesota! *knocks on wood*

A couple courses have opened up and I got my first full 18 in this week. I managed to shoot a solid 91 into the wind on a somewhat higher tier course I had never played before, so I'm happy with that. Hopefully it means I'll be shooting in the mid-80s on my home courses come this summer.

• Like 1

There was a twosome at my course from Chicago in town for the Masters. They said many of their clubs were just opening. I couldn’t imagine.

• Like 1

Played Wednesday for the first time, even swinging a club.

Parred the first 6 holes!  Shot a 38 on par 36.  Never would have predicted this kind of round.

Hope I can keep it up.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I played "real golf" yesterday for the first time this year.  I did not score great, but had a generally good day. Overall, I hit the ball decently, but did have a few swings that the casual observer might deduce that it was my first time to play! I did not have time to hit any range balls before the round; I literally got out of my truck and went to the first tee. My green reading was off, but my putts were burning the edge at a generally appropriate pace. I was "hitting my lines" on my putts as Tiger says, but I wasn't picking the right line.

Edited by dbuck
  • Like 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Note: This thread is 1822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!