IGNORED

USGA Takes it On the Chin from Anonymous Whiny Tour Babies

iacas
Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It wouldn't be the U.S. Open if someone wasn't complaining.  Every year.  I look forward to it... kind of a fun side attraction.

When I qualify for the U.S. Open I'm gonna complain about the water being too wet.  I don't think that one's been covered yet.

The complaints are mostly uncalled (rough and narrow fairways) for but some are legit.  Having greens that are crazy fast is not a test of golf. The USGA did not intentionally make them that fast but they lost control of them several times in the past.  Choosing Chambers Bay and Erin Hills were major mistakes as these are not US Open venues. Erin Hills was wide open and they were hoping for wind. -16 should never be a winning score for an Open. Chambers Bay was just silly.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, BillK said:

Erin Hills was wide open and they were hoping for wind. -16 should never be a winning score for an Open. Chambers Bay was just silly.

The problem is that the pros are often quoted as saying "if -15 under is the winning score so be it, let weather control the score." For example, three of these four:

And yet when they PLAY Erin Hills and the wind doesn't blow, they also bitch and whine about that!?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like what Tiger said: they all play (basically) the same course and have the expectation going in.  Go get it and quit griping.

Just now, ncates00 said:

I like what Tiger said: they all play (basically) the same course and have the expectation going in.  Go get it and quit griping.

Not as good as what Koepka said today. He bitch slapped the whiners.

Just now, ChrisP said:

Not as good as what Koepka said today. He bitch slapped the whiners.

Agreed.  Means more coming from Tiger though.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, BillK said:

I meant that the USGA should not select a course then pray for wind.

Why?

The British Open does this.

If the wind had blown, as it was expected to, we'd have probably seen a winning score of -2 or something.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Our work complaints: 16hr shifts with seldom a lunch break. Hostile environment. Asshat bosses, weekend shift demanded so missing kid’s tournament, pay cuts, lay offs, screwed out of promotions, no PTO left, working Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, 45 minute commute in traffic jams, phone calls at 3am to come in. No bonus as didn’t meet production quotas due to under staffing.

PGA Tour pro: The golf course was too hard and not fair.

Yeah guys, we feel ya.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, BillK said:

Choosing Chambers Bay and Erin Hills were major mistakes as these are not US Open venues. 

Funny but I felt Erin Hills and Chambers Bay were in response to the criticism to say we can do something  different, and then they are criticized for trying something new  

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Our work complaints: 16hr shifts with seldom a lunch break. Hostile environment. Asshat bosses, weekend shift demanded so missing kid’s tournament, pay cuts, lay offs, screwed out of promotions, no PTO left, working Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, 45 minute commute in traffic jams, phone calls at 3am to come in. No bonus as didn’t meet production quotas due to under staffing.

PGA Tour pro: The golf course was too hard and not fair.

Yeah guys, we feel ya.

I met a minor lpga player before I took up golf and during our conversation she said, “I can’t complain. I play golf for a living.”  Exactly!!

Guess I’m in the minority but I liked Chambers Bay. They hold that most any other year and those greens are perfect. Difficulty-wise, a handful of guys broke par and -5 won. What more can you ask for?

• Like 2

From the article @iacas quoted:

Bryson DeChambeau: “I would allow for a little more error, because none of us are that good. My issues with the past couple of U.S. Open course setups is that now it’s a physics issue. The laws of physics don’t allow the ball — with that friction value and the way we play the game — to work. You get a friction value on a green with a certain amount of slope, and you can’t hold the ball on that green. Any minor deviation from perfect results in too big of an error away from the flag. It brings luck too much into deciding the champion. They pushed those limits, which is great, but you never want to have a tournament that goes too far.”

I don't mind Bryson, but this quote is dumb.  He sounds like a stupid person trying to sound smart.  What the hell is a "friction value"?!?  That's not a thing, buddy.

It's like the reporter asked him to "say something sciencey, please".

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

- John

43 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

What the hell is a "friction value"?!?  That's not a thing, buddy.

If he's talking a coefficient of friction, then it's a thing.

I agree that they can take high sloped green and take them way too far. They can make tee to green extremely hard, but making greens absurdly tough maybe is too far. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

If he's talking a coefficient of friction, then it's a thing.

It's not a thing that applies to a round golf ball on a green.  😉

(besides, I doubt anyone who actually knows what they're talking about would refer to μ as "friction value")

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I agree that they can take high sloped green and take them way too far. They can make tee to green extremely hard, but making greens absurdly tough maybe is too far. 

Yeah...I think part of the perception problem they have is HOW they create difficulty.  Fans seem more willing to accept a course that punishes any minor mistake tee-to-green, but once the players are putting, they feel like it's "gimmicky" to create too much difficulty.

- John

• Administrator
Bryson-Cover.jpg?fit=961%2C541&ssl=1

By: Robbie Vogel | Twitter Every year, Drew Magary puts together one of the best pieces of content...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Guess I’m in the minority but I liked Chambers Bay. They hold that most any other year and those greens are perfect. Difficulty-wise, a handful of guys broke par and -5 won. What more can you ask for?

I actually got to play it in October of 2014, so a little before they had it there. It was amazing. Beautiful. It was  in spectacular shape and one of the best courses I played. Shame the course got such bad treatment by the USGA, the players, and the media and the viewers at home. I loved the course and hope to go back (family out in Seattle-Tacoma area). I may play Bandon though next time we’re out there. 

My wife doesnt care much for golf but even she wanted to go and walk it with me. Funny, she doesn’t care to much about playing but when we go somewhere, Chambers, St. Andrews, Disney course’s, etc she wants to go with me even when she doesn’t play. She liked Chambers so much she added to her fridge magnet collection haha. 

Edited by ncates00
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

From the article @iacas quoted:

I don't mind Bryson, but this quote is dumb.  He sounds like a stupid person trying to sound smart.  What the hell is a "friction value"?!?  That's not a thing, buddy.

It's like the reporter asked him to "say something sciencey, please".

He sounds like someone who took 3 years of physics courses and never graduated.:-P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

17 hours ago, ChrisP said:

I loved Chambers Bay, I thought it looked so cool.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!