IGNORED

Getting Back Into It Need Advice on Which Clubs to Update First

Note: This thread is 1775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am getting back into this after a several year hiatus. I didn't get into golf until I was in my mid 20s, I've never had a lesson, and my set of clubs was pieced together over the course of several years from used bins and what not. This time around I am looking into lessons as well as a club fitting before I purchase anything but I would like to start researching now. Sadly I do not have the funds to get everything at once, which leads me to my question... what part of my set should I upgrade first?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

• iacas changed the title to Getting Back Into It Need Advice on Which Clubs to Update First

What do you have now?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started the rebuild of my clubs, after my hiatus, with hybrids.  I am glad I started that way.  Then, I went 6i, 7i, 9i.  I had an older driver I could hit well so no need to do that at first.  Finished my rebuild with wedges.  As well, I started out with some help with my pro to find the best clubs, shafts, and club fitting et al.  I was, also, able to test a lot of clubs fully before a purchase.  Try to find a place where you may do that as well.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

The important question was asked, but I'll elaborate on it:  what do you have now, and why?

And how much is in your budget?

There's a world of difference between "I plan to spend $250, where can I get the most bang for my buck" and "I could buy your house with the money in my couch cushions, I want nice clubs."  I am guessing you fall in between the two.

What you have is important, too:  upgrading from persimmon woods with steel shafts will make a big difference;  on the other hand if you had Ping Eye2s with a reasonably fit shaft in them, you might get some more good years out of those. 

Note:  I spent quite a bit of time in my life as notoriously cheap and playing golf;  if you're on a limited budget, I will definitely have ideas.  I will also have ideas if money is no object. :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

What do you have now?

43 minutes ago, Shindig said:

The important question was asked, but I'll elaborate on it:  what do you have now, and why?

Here is what I have... keep in mind that all of these are used and were pieced together on a VERY tight budget.

Driver - TaylorMade R580 10.5 - I am good with this one, has some wear but I think it has some life left

Woods - "TI-POWER" 3 & 5 woods

Hybrids - Walter Hagen WH-22 4i & Walter Hagen MS2 5i

Irons - Northwestern "Tom Weiskopf" 3, 6, 7, 8, 9

Pitching wedge – the Northwestern Iron “set” did not have one, Linksolution LS 2000

Wedges - Trend Golf 58 & Nextt Golf 60

2 hours ago, DrMJG said:

I started the rebuild of my clubs, after my hiatus, with hybrids.  I am glad I started that way.  Then, I went 6i, 7i, 9i.  I had an older driver I could hit well so no need to do that at first.  Finished my rebuild with wedges.  As well, I started out with some help with my pro to find the best clubs, shafts, and club fitting et al.  I was, also, able to test a lot of clubs fully before a purchase.  Try to find a place where you may do that as well.

Thank you for the feedback. To be honest I was considering wedges first but I like this idea.

55 minutes ago, Shindig said:

And how much is in your budget?

There's a world of difference between "I plan to spend $250, where can I get the most bang for my buck" and "I could buy your house with the money in my couch cushions, I want nice clubs."  I am guessing you fall in between the two.

What you have is important, too:  upgrading from persimmon woods with steel shafts will make a big difference;  on the other hand if you had Ping Eye2s with a reasonably fit shaft in them, you might get some more good years out of those. 

Note:  I spent quite a bit of time in my life as notoriously cheap and playing golf;  if you're on a limited budget, I will definitely have ideas.  I will also have ideas if money is no object. :-) 

You are correct that the budget is somewhere between, let's say around $500 for the whole set, and frankly I would be happy to stay under. I am not looking to get top of the line stuff, frankly I'm not that good nor do I play enough to justify that kind of expense... also I don't have that kind of money anyway.

As you can see everything I have, minus the driver, could be found in as all-in-one starter golf set, and a couple aren't even THAT good. Plus NOTHING has been fit for me and I am a short guy at 5'5". I lucked out that the driver was already made for a shorter person. So while, like I said, I'm not looking for brand new top of the line, I would like something a little better than one of the all-in-one golf sets you find at any sporting goods store. I am COMPLETELY fine with used, lines from several years ago, and non-major brand stuff... I don't have a burning desire to walk onto the course with brand new Callaways or TaylorMades.

How do you feel about component clubs?  Given your budget, getting a set of irons and a hybrid or two from Maltby/GolfWorks seems like it might be the right fit.  It would be great if we could estimate your specs, especially since they'll build them to you.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

12 hours ago, FunkyDionysus said:

So I am getting back into this after a several year hiatus. I didn't get into golf until I was in my mid 20s, I've never had a lesson, and my set of clubs was pieced together over the course of several years from used bins and what not. This time around I am looking into lessons as well as a club fitting before I purchase anything but I would like to start researching now. Sadly I do not have the funds to get everything at once, which leads me to my question... what part of my set should I upgrade first?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

If you want lessons, I would do that first hands down.  You don't want to go through a fitting, buy clubs that don't work best for your swing because you had lessons improved and now your swing is different to what it was when you got fitted.  Lessons first and get those new shiny clubs fitted to your new and improved swing.  Your teacher will also be a good guide to directing you into the best set of clubs for your swing.

For example, you might like a really chunky iron now but improve your swing with lessons and find you are hitting the ball to the moon with those big chunky irons and want to lower the flight..................now your talking about a whole different set up in your bag.  I wouldn't even bother even researching clubs right now, waste of time and money.......your coach will tell you that your wise for not pulling the trigger prematurely too...........if you don't want lessons than that is a different story altogether

Edited by Farangster
  • Like 1

1st, I agree 2with @Farangster lessons 1st. 

Find the nearest Golf Specialty store and go check out the used clubs they have.  Find a nice used set that "feels" right to you and your swing.  Typically, $100-300 and you can get some nice irons.  Often people will trade in their old clubs when they buy a new set.  Often, those old clubs are not that old........

Use these for a couple years until you are comfortable with your game.  Invest in a fitted set once you feel it's time to take your game to the next level.

Just one opinion.........

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

6 hours ago, Farangster said:

If you want lessons, I would do that first hands down.  You don't want to go through a fitting, buy clubs that don't work best for your swing because you had lessons improved and now your swing is different to what it was when you got fitted.  Lessons first and get those new shiny clubs fitted to your new and improved swing.  Your teacher will also be a good guide to directing you into the best set of clubs for your swing.

For example, you might like a really chunky iron now but improve your swing with lessons and find you are hitting the ball to the moon with those big chunky irons and want to lower the flight..................now your talking about a whole different set up in your bag.  I wouldn't even bother even researching clubs right now, waste of time and money.......your coach will tell you that your wise for not pulling the trigger prematurely too...........if you don't want lessons than that is a different story altogether

5 hours ago, IowaGreg said:

1st, I agree 2with @Farangster lessons 1st. 

Find the nearest Golf Specialty store and go check out the used clubs they have.  Find a nice used set that "feels" right to you and your swing.  Typically, $100-300 and you can get some nice irons.  Often people will trade in their old clubs when they buy a new set.  Often, those old clubs are not that old........

Use these for a couple years until you are comfortable with your game.  Invest in a fitted set once you feel it's time to take your game to the next level.

Just one opinion.........

Both great advice. I completely plan on getting lessons first before anything else, I feel that it's the biggest mistake I made the first time around.

14 hours ago, Shindig said:

How do you feel about component clubs?  Given your budget, getting a set of irons and a hybrid or two from Maltby/GolfWorks seems like it might be the right fit.  It would be great if we could estimate your specs, especially since they'll build them to you.

I haven't done much research on component clubs, I've mostly looked at used and clones. I would have no issue giving component clubs a shot though.

What specs would you need?

2 hours ago, FunkyDionysus said:

I haven't done much research on component clubs, I've mostly looked at used and clones. I would have no issue giving component clubs a shot though.

What specs would you need?

Oh, I'm not building them for you.  The Maltby brand, carried by GolfWorks, are good ones.  Their KE-4 series is particularly nice.  They look like better players' cavity backs but they perform like ones for double digit handicappers.  If you know your desired shaft flex and length (e.g., regular flex, half an inch under standard), they'll assemble the ones you buy for you to those specs.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Not knowing all the particulars, I probably go with updating the longer clubs first, as needed. I would also do this with components to save a bunch of money. Same quality for less money with components vs name brands. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

21 hours ago, Shindig said:

+1 on Maltby. I also would consider Gigagolf. They have a static fitting tool on their site and they build to order. Nearly my whole bag is from them and I love them. If I don’t go Maltby the next time I buy irons I’ll probably go back to GG.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I would agree with the "get lessons first" suggestions. I can kind of relate to your situation. I came back into golf after a 30 year hiatus and, after trying to play a couple of rounds, decided I really needed some lessons so signed up with a local pro. He looked at my clubs and laughed and said, "Hey. I bet these are around 30 years old!" I don't remember what brand they were but, at the time, I probably spent $300 - $400 for them. He said that they were fine for now but that technology had come quite a ways in 30 years.

I would suggest you take lessons and play some first. Get familiar with swinging again. Watch youtube videos on game improvement iron reviews and get familiar with the offerings from the various manufacturers. Spend some time learning and then, when you're comfortable and have an idea what irons might suit you, you can look at used club sales outfits and ebay and such. I bought a great set of TaylorMade SpeedBlades for under $150 off ebay and later, a new set of TaylorMade M1 irons for under $500. Whatever you decide you'll be more comfortable and make a better decision if you spend some time educating yourself and tire kicking first, I bet.

@FunkyDionysus of the current set you have, the club you can keep the longest is the Driver. Most of the others would need to be replaced.  I also notice, you didn't say anything about your putter.

For me, if you are going to change a few clubs at a time, go from shortest to longest club.  The reasoning is the shorter the club, the more accuracy you expect, and good clubs make a difference here.  The hybrids and woods you have here might be a bit shorter and less accurate than newer clubs, but rarely are you hitting those onto a green (except long par 3s)

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

On 6/13/2019 at 6:16 PM, Shindig said:

Oh, I'm not building them for you.  The Maltby brand, carried by GolfWorks, are good ones.  Their KE-4 series is particularly nice.  They look like better players' cavity backs but they perform like ones for double digit handicappers.  If you know your desired shaft flex and length (e.g., regular flex, half an inch under standard), they'll assemble the ones you buy for you to those specs.

I didn't think you were building them, I was curious what specs they would need... sorry for the confusion. Do you have any experience with the ST-i irons? Also the M-Series+ Wedges looked intriguing.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:30 PM, tehuti said:

+1 on Maltby. I also would consider Gigagolf. They have a static fitting tool on their site and they build to order. Nearly my whole bag is from them and I love them. If I don’t go Maltby the next time I buy irons I’ll probably go back to GG.

I do have a Gigagolf PowerMax GX922 7 iron that I like. I just got the 7 iron to test out their product several years ago. The problem is that I got it built to specs that I no longer think work for me which is a big reason I want to get some lessons this time around. What clubs do you have from Gigagolf? Is there a reason you're considering going with Maltby instead of GG this time around?

On 6/12/2019 at 11:04 PM, FunkyDionysus said:

Here is what I have... keep in mind that all of these are used and were pieced together on a VERY tight budget.

Driver - TaylorMade R580 10.5 - I am good with this one, has some wear but I think it has some life left

Woods - "TI-POWER" 3 & 5 woods

Hybrids - Walter Hagen WH-22 4i & Walter Hagen MS2 5i

Irons - Northwestern "Tom Weiskopf" 3, 6, 7, 8, 9

Pitching wedge – the Northwestern Iron “set” did not have one, Linksolution LS 2000

Wedges - Trend Golf 58 & Nextt Golf 60

Thank you for the feedback. To be honest I was considering wedges first but I like this idea.

FunkyDionysus I'm in a VERY similar situation, in fact have the same driver (in a 9.5). 

I just started playing consistently this season and I've taken 3 lessons which have allowed me to get both a more consistent swing and advice from my pro.  He suggested continuing lessons for a few more pointers but feels a fitting with whatever clubs would help identify at least the shafts I need; stiff or x-stiff.  Lessons have been 1) 1st general look (posture was the real first finding), 2) driving setup and swing, 3) irons - he changed my grip to strong from nuetral/weak; next will be a combo chip/pitch/putting.

One of my neighbors was kind enough to give me his entire set of TM R11s and I've been very happy with them thus far.  I snapped the driver shaft on the 2nd round forcing me to put a stock stiff in. Although they are older than the current "new" clubs, the R11s have been more forgiving and longer to help my game.  A full set of used R11s are pretty reasonable from what I've seen.

Lastly, my pro suggested upgrading a driver 1st. Namely because the tech is more forgiving than the 580 and the confidence you get from a drive down the fairway. Hitting the R11 vs the 580 is really a night and day difference for me. Timing has to be spot on with my old driver. Here's my current upgrade club strategy as my funds become available.

Driver - or fitted shaft

Wedges (playing with most of my old ones now)

Shafts for woods (if needed)

Maybe a little wordy but hope this helps from a similar golf direction. 

Edited by slprrex

Note: This thread is 1775 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!