IGNORED

The Cheating Thread

ChetlovesMer

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

1) But I think you're beating a dead horse

2) and you will only lose friends, albeit dishonest friends.  

1) Agree....as he said....seems to be a cultural thing and not just a few cheaters who won't play by the rules of golf.

2) who said he was friends with these clowns?....I never got the impression he liked these tools.

I belonged to a club in the mid 80's back in Ontario....you absolutely didn't want a reputation as a cheat.....a couple of guys were labeled and no one wanted to play golf with these fools.

1 hour ago, reidsou said:

I haven't given up. Just need some strategy ideas to deal with rampant cheating. There are other members who don't like it either. I think the culture comes from the top, not sure. 

It's interesting that this is a private club. I also belong to a club at a public golf course where the players are much more honest. 

Glad you're not giving up...kudos!

Ok...here my advice/strategy.

After the next event with rampant cheating....I assume after the event.....it will be busy in the bar/lounge with lots of participants....stand up and get everyone's attention and ask:

"Is there anyone else in this room who is sick and tired of all the members here who can't and won't play by the rules of golf to properly win"

Two things will likely happen:

1) You'll feel better for getting this off your chest

and/or

2) These cheatin idiot members will be so mad and complain..... and within a few days you'll be called into the office of the GM...along with the Club's president .....and told you're no longer welcome as a member with a check/refund of your club's initiation fee...then you can go elsewhere and be happier at a club where cheatin tools are not so prevalent..

Best wishes and good luck and you're welcome for my free advice.😂

Edited by Mr22putt
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, leftybutnotPM said:

BS.

Name "the golfer". Which tournament?

Why say "the local pga stop" or "the golfer""?

If "everybody did it"  or if it happened once every 6 months it'd be noticed by dozens of people who would do something about it.

Let me see if I can you help with some of this.

It was back in the late 1980s, early 1990s. It was the Las Vegas Invitational Tournament. (LVI) The course used, where I saw the infraction, was at the Spanish Trails GC. This was back when it was a 90 hole tourney, held at multiple golf courses around the valley. 

As for the golfer in question, I don't remember his name.  

Btw, I gave you a "like" point for your retort........lol

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Glad you're not giving up...kudos!

Ok...here my advice/strategy.

After the next event with rampant cheating....I assume after the event.....it will be busy in the bar/lounge with lots of participants....stand up and get everyone's attention and ask:

"Is there anyone else in this room who is sick and tired of all the members here who can't and won't play by the rules of golf to properly win"

Two things will likely happen:

1) You'll feel better for getting this off your chest

and/or

2) These cheatin idiot members will be so mad and complain..... and within a few days you'll be called into the office of the GM...along with the Club's president .....and told you're no longer welcome as a member with a check/refund of your club's initiation fee...then you can go elsewhere and be happier at a club where cheatin tools are not so prevalent..

Best wishes and good luck and you're welcome for my free advice.😂

Good one! 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Patch said:

Let me see if I can you help with some of this.

It was back in the late 1980s, early 1990s. It was the Las Vegas Invitational Tournament. (LVI) The course used, where I saw the infraction, was at the Spanish Trails GC. This was back when it was a 90 hole tourney, held at multiple golf courses around the valley. 

As for the golfer in question, I don't remember his name.  

Btw, I gave you a "like" point for your retort........lol

Vijay????😂

3 hours ago, Patch said:

Great.

But if you'd added  

" .... but this was 30 or 40 years ago"

it would've made a difference to your original post. 

It certainly doesn't happen "all the time" because if a player moves his ball a tenth of an  inch now he'll hold up play for 20 minutes to let us all know how honest he is. More cameras now, obviously.

• 1 month later...

In our 18-hole conference championship last year, I played with a guy who not only cheated, he lost his temper a lot too. It seemed as though he got ultra angry at any shot he wasn’t happy with. His cheating made me keep a close watch on him (I played with him once earlier in the season) and I kept track of his strokes so he doesn’t cheat. Not a bad guy off the course, but when we were playing, he wasn’t fun to play with. Even told my coach about it that night, and he said at regionals, we wouldn’t play with him or his team at all.

I think the Patrick Reed incident would be great for this topic. Up for discussion?

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

3 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I was hoping this thread would have some pointers...

Well, you only need to read all the posts.  But since you want some 😁

Foot wedge

Gimmes

Forgetting addition

"Finding" your ball

I have seen all these and many more.  It really bugs me because I keep score honestly as a judge of how I am playing.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 3 years later...

Bumping this old thread to post a cheating story from the club championship this weekend.

Another player and I hit balls in the same general area of the rough. We find his ball first. He can't tell for certain if it's his ball. He gets down low to examine it. Still can't tell. Then, he picks it up and it's his ball. My ball is nearby, and we find it quickly. 

Anyway, I go to double check the rule before I tell him about the penalty. I confirm that he should have marked the ball, and it's one stroke penalty. I tell him before his next shot around the green. He gets pissed, and says it wasn't a penalty because he marked his ball. I was less than 5 feet from him, and there's no way he marked. I tell him I was right there and he didn't mark, but we'll figure it out after the round. He's in the running for money, so I need to protect the field here.

Guess what happens? He continues to deny that he didn't mark, and it's his word against mine, so no penalty. Even though it's one stroke, and it doesn't make a difference in anything. 

The cheating bit is denying the penalty when he definitely incurred it. To nobody's surprise, this guy has a reputation in the club. In reviewing the last couple of times I played with him, I remember a questionable point of entry for a drop from a PA, and having to do the let's review your strokes on the last hole to make sure you got the right number (that one I'll generally give a pass to; but maybe not with him). We are definitely looking for ways to kick him out at this point. We need to catch him with more than just one person. I will be watching him like a hawk next time I play with him.

Besides the point, but he also has the worst rules takes. He thinks we should be able to move the ball out of divots in the fairway and that you should get line of sight relief from immoveable obstructions. And his arguments for both of those things are ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Bumping this old thread to post a cheating story from the club championship this weekend.

Another player and I hit balls in the same general area of the rough. We find his ball first. He can't tell for certain if it's his ball. He gets down low to examine it. Still can't tell. Then, he picks it up and it's his ball. My ball is nearby, and we find it quickly. 

Anyway, I go to double check the rule before I tell him about the penalty. I confirm that he should have marked the ball, and it's one stroke penalty. I tell him before his next shot around the green. He gets pissed, and says it wasn't a penalty because he marked his ball. I was less than 5 feet from him, and there's no way he marked. I tell him I was right there and he didn't mark, but we'll figure it out after the round. He's in the running for money, so I need to protect the field here.

Guess what happens? He continues to deny that he didn't mark, and it's his word against mine, so no penalty. Even though it's one stroke, and it doesn't make a difference in anything. 

The cheating bit is denying the penalty when he definitely incurred it. To nobody's surprise, this guy has a reputation in the club. In reviewing the last couple of times I played with him, I remember a questionable point of entry for a drop from a PA, and having to do the let's review your strokes on the last hole to make sure you got the right number (that one I'll generally give a pass to; but maybe not with him). We are definitely looking for ways to kick him out at this point. We need to catch him with more than just one person. I will be watching him like a hawk next time I play with him.

Besides the point, but he also has the worst rules takes. He thinks we should be able to move the ball out of divots in the fairway and that you should get line of sight relief from immoveable obstructions. And his arguments for both of those things are ridiculous.

That's a tough one.  GOlf is to be a game of honor and his "word" should suffice but unfortunatley you saw reality and you understand he has no honor.  

I was out with some of my league buddies (not actual league play) and one guys shot stopped behind a tree.  He simply says, "League rules, I can move it 6 inches and I'll have a shot".  I tell him I've never heard that league rule and he says "We do it all the time".  At the tee box I mentioned it to the others in foursome and they said "Oh yeah, we all do that on the A-Flight".  Now I understand why they are A-Fligth and I am B-Flight.....THEY ALL CHEAT!

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Funny 3

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

On 8/28/2023 at 12:25 PM, snapfade said:

When someone wants to assure you and re-assure you that he is not lying or cheating, he is probably lying or cheating.

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2023 at 6:01 AM, DeadMan said:

According to rule 1.3b(1), the penalty for "deliberately fails to apply a penalty" is DQ. Good on you for standing up to him.