criley4way

Good Putts Not Going In

15 posts / 823 viewsLast Reply

Recently I have made improvements to my driver and approach shots.

8-10 fairways hits

13-15 greens

20-25' proximity 

1.93 putts per GIR

I am managing the course better but still see 90% of my putts from 10-15' miss.

The putts aren't bad and I rarely have more than a 12" to clean up.

Is this a case of just expecting too much or something I can change?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Okay, you have a Game Golf, so you probably know fairways hit don't matter as much as distance and playability of the resulting drive.  You almost certainly know it, because I see you're hitting 13-15 greens.  As someone who loses more strokes (using strokes gained, not the old bad math) within 100 yards than out of it, I am looking at working on these.

I can't do anything for you if the problem is missing the read, other than to tell you to take an AimPoint class.

If you can't hit your start line on the putt, there's the ruler drill from LSW and making sure your putter fits you.  

As for putts, there's a great drill in Broadie's text that I have been doing.  I make more from 10-15' than I used to, although I used to make pretty much zero, so anything is an improvement.  Hopefully this helps you.  It's on Chapter 9 from Every Shot Counts if you get a chance to read that.  Here's the drill I like:  10-foot-10-point game

Take one ball to a practice putting green and drop it between 9' and 11' from a hole.  Putt until you hole out.  Track how many holes you play.

Here's how the scores work:

* Add 2 points to your score if you sink the first putt.  Unlike real golf, you want points here.

* If you take two putts to hole out, but your first one missed long, no change.

* If you take two putts to hole out, but your first one missed short, lose a point.

* Lose three points if you don't hole out by your second putt (three or more).

* Lose the game if you hit -10 points.

* Win if you hit +10 points.

* Aim to use different holes (if your green isn't too crowded).  Different positions on the clockface would be good too.

An average 80s-golfer should take about 24 holes to win this game, so don't be distraught if it takes you more. 

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

They’re not good putts if so few go in.

This is what I’m thinking. Now I know we shouldn’t always assess a task based on results alone, but when it comes to putting I don’t agree with the common statement I hear ‘ it was a good putt it just didn’t go in.’ Hogwash. Aside from long lags, really fast and sloped, etc, a good putt goes in. 

For me, a good putt that doesn't go in is a putt stroked along my line at the proper speed.  I just didn't read the putt correctly.  When that happens I don't blame my physical stroke; I blame my brain.

Keeping those PGA stats in mind sure helps keep my expectations in check.

I feel your pain.  I left 3 putts from about 10-15 feet less than a full rotation away from going in.  It would have been nice to have them fall but I realize I’m getting there.  If I’m outside that distance, I’m happy within 2 feet.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:28 PM, uitar9 said:

Keeping those PGA stats in mind sure helps keep my expectations in check.

Good point! I am far from a PGA Tour pro, as I'm sure the OP is. For me, a good putt is one hit on the line I picked and the speed that I wanted, which just misses. If I misread it badly, or stroke it badly, that's a bad putt. 

Just recently I saved a couple of holes from bad approach putts. We played a course that I have played before, but not very often. The greens are quite large, quick, with a lot of contour. I sent some long approach putts 8 to 10 feet past the hole. I made my second putts! Those helped save my round and made me feel good. 

For me, a good putt that doesn't go in the hole, is just a good miss. 

I miss well stroked putts more times than I think I should. I just read, and rolled the ball on the wrong line. 

From 10’-15’, if it doesn’t go in, it’s not usually a good putt...   ;-)

Don’t feel bad though.  Even Tour Pros miss more of those than they make.

9 hours ago, David in FL said:

From 10’-15’, if it doesn’t go in, it’s not usually a good putt...   ;-)

Don’t feel bad though.  Even Tour Pros miss more of those than they make.

That is fair. My typical miss is over the lip 

3 hours ago, criley4way said:

That is fair. My typical miss is over the lip 

Did anyone else read this as "my missed putts go in, too"? :-)