IGNORED

Driving range with a down draft?

mcanadiens
Note: This thread is 1741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The local golf course, Troy's Miami Shores, just opened a driving range a couple of months ago. I want to like it. The grass is nice. They've got a water cooler out there. The balls are nice and new and they do a really good job with the yardage. But ...

Every freaking ball starts to drop like a rock after it gets above the tree line even when it seems like there is no wind. This has happened on a couple of occasions now. With my game, of lack there of, you never know for sure, but I don't see this anywhere else.

Anyone else experience something like this?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Limited flight range balls? It would seem counter-intuitive to have yardage markers out there, then use  balls that don't fly true......but I can't imagine what else would cause that?

12 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

The local golf course, Troy's Miami Shores, just opened a driving range a couple of months ago. I want to like it. The grass is nice. They've got a water cooler out there. The balls are nice and new and they do a really good job with the yardage. But ...

Every freaking ball starts to drop like a rock after it gets above the tree line even when it seems like there is no wind. This has happened on a couple of occasions now. With my game, of lack there of, you never know for sure, but I don't see this anywhere else.

Anyone else experience something like this?

It could just be the range balls. Less spin = less hang time. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 minutes ago, JeepXJ98 said:

Limited flight range balls? It would seem counter-intuitive to have yardage markers out there, then use  balls that don't fly true......but I can't imagine what else would cause that?

For target practice. Also, you can still gauge your distance relative to the limited flight. 

With range balls, I judge their flight (my hit) for the first 100, or so plus yards. All I am ever interested in, is the line they take off my club face, in regards to where I aimed, and wanted them to go. Yardage is usually suspect so I don't concern myself much with that aspect. 

There is a smallish range I know of that uses yellow, nike, limited flight balls. The course has signage that lets you know they are limited flight balls. Also signs to not steal them...lol  You know something is different about them, just in how they feel. 

The ball start off ok, but then just seems to become a dying duck. They do seem to fly true to how they are impacted though.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Guys. I'm nearly certain that the balls are normal golf balls. Since they just opened, newer and nicer than average.

If you have a couple of your own that are a little beat up, hit them and see if the same effect happens. Also, check wind direction from the local weather and figure out if it is coming over the trees. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

21 hours ago, boogielicious said:

If you have a couple of your own that are a little beat up, hit them and see if the same effect happens. Also, check wind direction from the local weather and figure out if it is coming over the trees. 

Yeah. I have some beaters I can test with, but I'd be surprised if that was the difference. As for the wind, there wasn't much that previous day and that is what had me really confused. Other days the wind was up and it sort of made sense.

On a level it doesn't matter that much how far a ball goes on the range. I get that. Still it's a crummy thing to watch when you don't understand why it is happening. 

21 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Yeah. I have some beaters I can test with, but I'd be surprised if that was the difference. As for the wind, there wasn't much that previous day and that is what had me really confused. Other days the wind was up and it sort of made sense.

On a level it doesn't matter that much how far a ball goes on the range. I get that. Still it's a crummy thing to watch when you don't understand why it is happening. 

I see weird flight at range all the time. But like you said, not with new balls. One grass range I go to have new, full-flight balls and they seem to fly OK although they are a bit harder than the Snells I play.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I suppose I will have to head up there and verify this. It could be the cool, crisp air reducing your flight. #sarcasm

On another note, are you playing in either of the quota game this weekend?

- Shane

11 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I suppose I will have to head up there and verify this. It could be the cool, crisp air reducing your flight. #sarcasm

On another note, are you playing in either of the quota game this weekend?

May play the quota game Sunday if I'm still feeling froggy.

Actually headed up to Shelby Oaks to play @Jeremie Boop on Saturday morning. You could come if you want to make that journey. 

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

May play the quota game Sunday if I'm still feeling froggy.

Actually headed up to Shelby Oaks to play @Jeremie Boop on Saturday morning. You could come if you want to make that journey. 

I have to work a gig Saturday afternoon, so I won't be able to make it.

- Shane

1 minute ago, CarlSpackler said:

I have to work a gig Saturday afternoon, so I won't be able to make it.

I'll try to let you know if I decide to go Sunday.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:23 AM, mcanadiens said:

Guys. I'm nearly certain that the balls are normal golf balls. Since they just opened, newer and nicer than average.

Limited flight balls use a unique dimple pattern and are only a little bit lighter, less than a gram or so?

From what I could tell, iron shots are pretty much the same until spin goes down below 4000rpm. Then they drop like a rock after 200 yards or so. I like watching that though... :-D

Here in So.Cal. We have plenty of room so the balls we use are labeled “Premium Wilson” or “Super Range” and are normal balls except 2 layer and get old pretty fast. At most they only lose 5% distance, if they still look reasonable?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 7/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, mcanadiens said:

New doesn't mean anything. Range balls are typically harder and more durable than the balls you play with so the launch characteristics will be affected. Unless you're at a high end club that uses Pro V1s on the range, I'd still assume they're "range" balls.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I see weird flight at range all the time. But like you said, not with new balls.

Even with new balls, most ranges I go to I'm a club shorter than I am on the course, and the traj is a bit lower, too. I don't use the range for distance so I don't care, but it's a noticeable difference.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I look at flight with range balls. I’ll hit balls I’ve found on the course if I question the range balls. I’ll usually carry a bag ,just in case, when I go to the range

The best thing is to use a launch monitor... then you can see your performance based upon launch conditions and not where the ball lands 😊

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 7/11/2019 at 6:19 AM, billchao said:

Unless you're at a high end club that uses Pro V1s on the range, I'd still assume they're "range" balls.

Is this a thing? Other than tour stops where the pros get their preferred balls at the range, of course.  

Although now that you mention it, tour pros have to practice away from the tournaments too, and ... how do their home clubs handle this?  

Maybe I'm venturing off topic.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!