IGNORED

Long Pants or Shorts in Hot Weather

Talldog
Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

Ditto for me.

Keeps the sun off so it is cooler...

Science doesn't agree.

"To help the sweat evaporate, you want air to flow over your skin — as much of your skin as possible."

Edited by Tiga Tiga Woods Yall

• Administrator
10 hours ago, LightsOut said:

Shorts will always be the cooler option. A tremendous amount of body heat is trapped inside pant legs no matter how light or "breathable" they are.

Along with the others who have expressed their disagreement, I disagree as well.

In the articles about color of clothing from the other topic, some will note that many tribes of people will wear long-sleeved robes and pants and other types of full coverage garments. They're in hot climates.

Pants keep my legs in the shade, so pants have less heat radiating off my skin to trap.

I find breathable materials pants to be a great option in hot weather. I wore them - black btw - teaching all day today in 88° temperatures with 85% humidity and was great. My legs were in the shade all day.

Plus, though I will still occasionally put sunscreen on, they're blocking the sun so I don't need to mess with sunscreen as often.

3 hours ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

Science doesn't agree.

"To help the sweat evaporate, you want air to flow over your skin — as much of your skin as possible."

Pants can be made of breathable material, too, and if you don't sweat because your legs don't get as hot, then the air flow is not as relevant.

Today my forearms were sweating a few times, but my legs never did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Along with the others who have expressed their disagreement, I disagree as well.

In the articles about color of clothing from the other topic, some will note that many tribes of people will wear long-sleeved robes and pants and other types of full coverage garments. They're in hot climates.

Pants keep my legs in the shade, so pants have less heat radiating off my skin to trap.

I find breathable materials pants to be a great option in hot weather. I wore them - black btw - teaching all day today in 88° temperatures with 85% humidity and was great. My legs were in the shade all day.

Plus, though I will still occasionally put sunscreen on, they're blocking the sun so I don't need to mess with sunscreen as often.

Pants can be made of breathable material, too, and if you don't sweat because your legs don't get as hot, then the air flow is not as relevant.

Come down here and play in a pair of pants in August and tell me how you feel.

Edited by iacas
removed unnecessary crap

In the Bag:

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, Adams Golf 54 and 60 Wedges, Wilson SW, Ray Cook putter.

• Administrator
Just now, LightsOut said:

I used to live in Delray Beach and played plenty of golf in the summers there (rates were cheaper). Much of it was done in pants, and the fabrics weren't as high tech then (early 2000s) as they are now.

I've not been the only one here to disagree with you on pants.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I used to live in Delray Beach and played plenty of golf in the summers there (rates were cheaper). Much of it was done in pants, and the fabrics weren't as high tech then (early 2000s) as they are now.

Right.  That's why every one here in south Florida is wearing pants and long sleeves in the summer.  

In the Bag:

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, 3W, 3H, 4H, 5-PW, Adams Golf 54 and 60 Wedges, Wilson SW, Ray Cook putter.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

There are certainly those (relatively few) who agree with you, but down here you’re in the very small minority.  Enough so that if I see someone wearing pants, I notice simply because it’s so unusual.

As with everything though, whatever works for each of us individually...   

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Just now, LightsOut said:

Right.  That's why every one here in south Florida is wearing pants and long sleeves in the summer.  

Googling stuff like "wearing long sleeve shirts in summer" and similar things will yield a good number of results suggesting that many people do, in fact, recommend and/or wear long sleeve shirts or pants in the summer in warmer locations.

And, sun sleeves are a valid thing, too.

But once again, man, you do you. I'll go with what science says, particularly when my experience is in line with it.

Just now, David in FL said:

There are certainly those (relatively few) who agree with you, but down here you’re in the very small minority.  Enough so that if I see someone wearing pants, I notice simply because it’s so unusual.

You're in Orlando, too, while Delray Beach was closer to the coast. I usually had a little ocean breeze where I lived. Breathable pants worked quite well for me, and kept my legs out of the sun, too.

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

You're in Orlando, too, while Delray Beach was closer to the coast. I usually had a little ocean breeze where I lived. Breathable pants worked quite well for me, and kept my legs out of the sun, too.

Still in the small minority.  ;-)

To be clear, I’m not saying that you’re wrong and I’m right in our choices.  Everyone is different and should do whatever works for them...  :beer:

I do love that ocean breeze though.  It makes a bigger difference than people can imagine!

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Still in the small minority.  ;-)

I'm a long-time Mac user. Just because I'm in the minority doesn't mean I'm wrong. 😄

Also, I dislike sunscreen, so pants = shade = less need for sunscreen on my legs.

I wear nothing but a speedo and high top golf shoes. And I feel marvelous.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Also, I dislike sunscreen, so pants = shade = less need for sunscreen on my legs.

I didn't have an opinion on sunscreen until I got into the solar sleeves, now I also dislike it.  That's why I'm seeking to find just which pants will work for me in the hottest of weather, as I feel way too hot in pants those times.  I think next time I'm near an Adidas store I should pick up a pair of their golf pants rather than my Kohl's brand ones (I think they're Kohl's brand, I should check).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I wear shorts in the hot weather when golfing. This even though I wear long sleeve shirts.  Add in two golf gloves, and wide brim hat hat, and I'm good to go. Heck, I wear shorts damn near year around. 

We are coming up on a string of higher triple digits days. 116+f could be the norm for the next few weeks. It will be carts only on some courses due to the heat Cotton Cargo shorts work just fine for me when riding. 

In a couple of weeks or so, we wll be doing our annual golf road trip to the Furnace Creek GC, in Death Valley, CA. It could be in the 120s easily there. Most of us will be wearing shorts. The Laughlin, NV/Bullhead City, AZ courses have already seen 125*f. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

7 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I wear nothing but a speedo and high top golf shoes. And I feel marvelous.

So you are like all the French Canadians we see on the beaches here in New England!

I understand the science behind long sleeves and pants, but I sweat a lot. I am a sweat hog. I can sweat on a cold day in January. I admit it. That is the first stage in recovery, no?

I've found that with pants (and I have tried) they tend to get wet and feel heavy even with moisture-wicking material. It just doesn't evaporate fast enough. Same with hats

I am going to try the sleeves. They arrive today. And I am looking for a broad brim hat now. Maybe that will help.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, LightsOut said:

I've done it. Took golf trips to Orlando, FL. I wore pants majority of the time. I had no issue.

I prefer not having to put on sunscreen. Also, good materials are breathable and get enough airflow.

• Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I hate pants, I wear shorts a large majority of the year. From April-October if you see me in pants someone is getting married or someone died. I do have some nice golf pants made from cooler material. Still I would never choose to wear them over shorts.

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Here in Texas, the phrase "if you don't sweat" sounds like science fiction. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

Here in Texas, the phrase "if you don't sweat" sounds like science fiction. 

I’ve taught in 95 degree San Antonio heat. My point was that if your legs are cool enough they may not sweat. Mine didn’t.

Air flow is largely irrelevant if you’re not sweating.

Note: This thread is 1747 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!