IGNORED

Strange Things Seen on Golf Courses

Buckeyebowman
Note: This thread is 1634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Got out Friday with some friends for 18. On one hole my partner and I spotted a red tailed hawk, fully mature and a very impressively sized bird, that had a squirrel pinned to the ground with its talons! Even stranger was the other squirrel, possibly the victim's mate, that tried to harass the hawk into giving up the squirrel it had caught. Perhaps distracted by the commotion, my buddy fluffed his approach to within about 10' to 15' of the hawk! 

He then asked me if hawks would attack people. I told him usually not, but if it thought he was trying to steal it's food, who knows what might happen?! Well, he pussyfooted it up there, and the hawk flew away with the squirrel in its grip, and lit in a tree behind the green. Stranger still was the companion squirrel, running like mad after the hawk, and climbing the tree it lit in to keep up its effort to free the other squirrel! We could clearly hear the hawk screeching at the squirrel. I don't know how it all worked out, but I would guess that the hawk won!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Strange Things Seen on Golf Courses

I know that I have told this story before, but it's been a while. I was playing with a friend at Wright-Patterson AFB Prairie Trace years ago. I was helping him find his ball in the rough when I caught a commotion from the corner of my eye. I looked over to see a red-tailed hawk landed on the fairway with one of his talons around my ball. I instinctively yelled at him to leave my ball alone, and he let go and took off. Stu[id bird.

I have also seen a hawk demolishing a squirrel before at Kittyhawk on the Hawk course of course. A while back, I was playing the Eagle course when a bald Eagle dive-bombed a fish in one of the big ponds.

The strangest thing I've seen at a golf course was a condom machine in the bathroom. I don't even want to know why...

- Shane

49 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

The strangest thing I've seen at a golf course was a condom machine in the bathroom. I don't even want to know why...

Slow play during couples league?

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

New golfers see it and are wondering ‘ what the hell am I doing wrong?’

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

29 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

New golfers see it and are wondering ‘ what the hell am I doing wrong?’

As they say, golf is one of the 2 things you don’t have to be good at to enjoy. 

• Like 1

- Shane

• Administrator
1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

As they say, golf is one of the 2 things you don’t have to be good at to enjoy. 

I think there are three. You're leaving off "cursing."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The strangest thing I've ever seen on a course.

People playing by the rules. I know it's rare, but it happens! 

Lol

Imagine that! 

A side from seeing wild animals, birds, and reptiles doing their various daily  things, I once saw two police cars chasing a guy through the course. He kept running where the police cars couldn't go. Finally a K-9 unit showed up, and the bad guy was done running. Those "dog cops" don't give a bad guy much choice. Found out later he had robbed a store at gun point. 

Have seen a few strange things while golfing, that were taking place of the course property. Back yard stuff mostly. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I am revising my previous answer about the condom machine, but it is at the same course. Years ago, a tranny used to hang out behind some businesses that border hole #3. This was on the weekends when the businesses were closed. (S)he would put on quite a show trying to attract the attention of golfers or bikers riding down the bike path. One day, a group behind me went over to the fence and started flirting. I tried to wave them off, but they certainly were not paying attention to me. When I passed by them a few holes later, I asked if they enjoyed the show on 3. When they confirmed that they did, I broke the sad news. One of the guys in the group exclaimed, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

image.png

I will gladly accept the award for the strangest thing ever seen on a golf course at your earliest convenience @Buckeyebowman

- Shane

3 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I am revising my previous answer about the condom machine, but it is at the same course. Years ago, a tranny used to hang out behind some businesses that border hole #3. This was on the weekends when the businesses were closed. (S)he would put on quite a show trying to attract the attention of golfers or bikers riding down the bike path. One day, a group behind me went over to the fence and started flirting. I tried to wave them off, but they certainly were not paying attention to me. When I passed by them a few holes later, I asked if they enjoyed the show on 3. When they confirmed that they did, I broke the sad news. One of the guys in the group exclaimed, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

image.png

I will gladly accept the award for the strangest thing ever seen on a golf course at your earliest convenience @Buckeyebowman

Never saw the tranny. Must have been before my time. 

Other than the monster slice/shank you witnessed, I've largely been hitting pulls into that fence all frigging year. Probably for the best that (s)he has moved on.

There is an oak tree behind a par 3 at my local track that had a hole where a branch had broken off. Local animals were nesting in there. The course put up a wire mesh over the hole, and one day there was a squirrel stuck by it's front teeth in the wire. Ghoulish... 

I did not really seen anything but a few weeks ago I was preparing to tee off on a hole bordered by dense woods and vegetation.  An ambulance, with its siren wailing, drove by on a road that borders the course.  From the dense woodland there sounded a group of yips and howls until the ambulance was out of hearing range.  Presumably a coyote family lives in the woodland and the pups were responding to the "howl" they heard.

Brian Kuehn

This summer I played at Gladwin Heights Golf Course in Michigan. My father-in-law had been telling me about how there were a lot of Amish in this area. Well, on one hole I hit it farther than anticipated and it bounced off a gravel road and into the great beyond. Not a minute later and here comes a horse and buggy with an Amish family aboard. Thank God they hadn't been there for that close encounter!

I've seen a matress just off a fairway at a course near Loughborough and two kids riding a quadbike through a bunker at a course in Leeds. Needless to say they weren't the classiest of courses!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

More sad than strange. I saw ATV tracks all over the place in the trees to the right of a fairway and finally saw why, a flattened carcass of a racoon. People suck.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1634 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!