IGNORED

Irons only

Note: This thread is 1726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, Krazy883 said:

I don't think there is a difference I said I was having problems with driver. 

You first said you were having problems hitting the fairway. Then you said you were hitting it into the trees. That's not the same thing.

I don't hit that many fairways (only 40% in my last 10 rounds) but in those last 10 rounds my driving is nearly .5 strokes better than a 5 handicap and I'm only losing .9 strokes to a scratch golfer. While I don't hit a ton of fairways, I typically can keep the ball in play and out of trees, so my distance helps me gain partial strokes even when I miss the fairway

Rough or trees it's still easier to hit to the green from the fairway. 

If the yardage is the same, yes. But not if the yardage is different, which would likely be the case if you hit driver.

Some people on here think they should base their percentages on what the top pros are doing as stated in an earlier.

Because the ratios are very similar for pros and amateurs, just the amateurs are at much lower percentages.

The further you can safely advance the ball off the tee, the closer to the hole your next shot will end up (on average).

That holds true regardless of what level golfer you are.

Just now, Krazy883 said:

The post was asking if anyone ever had done this before not for what you preferred. 

That's not how forums work. Everything that has been discussed in this thread has been relevant to the topic.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, klineka said:

While this may work for you in the short term, you are severely limiting your long term scoring potential by not working on/improving your driver.

Also, hitting the fairway is overrated. Out of the top 10 money earners on the PGA tour this season, only 2 of them are in the top 50 in driving accuracy, and only 1 is in the top 25.

Here are the top 10 money earners this season on the PGA tour and their driving accuracy % along with where that ranks them.

1. Brooks Koepka 62.39% (93)
  2. Rory McIlroy 60.66% (126)
  3. Matt Kuchar 68.67% (22)
  4. Gary Woodland 64.46% (69)
  5. Xander Schauffele 59.89% (138)
  6. Dustin Johnson 55.61% (T185)
  7. Patrick Cantlay 57.86% (165)
  8. Jon Rahm 62.12% (97)
  9. Justin Rose 59.00% (151)
  10. Paul Casey 67.99% (27)

These stats can be a little misleading.   A better stat would be % of drives that result in a 2nd shot opportunity.  When an amateur's drive misses the fairway their 2nd shot is more likely to be from an unplayable lie.  

I think if you are still enjoying the game, taking the woods out of the bag will give you more opportunity to improve with your irons.  But it should be a short term solution.  

Having a driver you like and feel comfortable with can also help.  It's amazing how 2 drivers that look so similar can have a huge difference in feel.   As far as the other woods go, the clubs that tour players typically hold on to the longest before replacing with newer tech are putters and their woods.  Tells you how important it is to get the right fit with these clubs.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

Most courses around here are plenty short enough that I can/have done it. Honestly though, wasn't much fun. Having longer shots into greens ended up negating the increased accuracy off the tee. I can see how someone who is really struggling might like it, but just wasn't for me.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

6 minutes ago, Keep It Simple said:

These stats can be a little misleading.

What is misleading about that stat?

There's nothing misleading about a stat that shows that the majority of the guys in the top 10 on the money list are in the middle or bottom half of driving accuracy.

18 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It’s astonishing to me that people can hit a 4i so elegantly and struggle with a driver. I can only dream to have that problem.

Yeah that's me. I feel more confident hitting a 4 iron than even a hybrid

Colin P.

1 hour ago, klineka said:

What is misleading about that stat?

There's nothing misleading about a stat that shows that the majority of the guys in the top 10 on the money list are in the middle or bottom half of driving accuracy.

Yes but when the OP says he is missing the fairway with his driver he may also be missing the rough in which case this stat does not support an argument to keep using his driver.  The OP could have been more specific but I would assume if he was at least playing his second shot from the rough closer to the hole he would still have his driver and woods in the bag.  Sounds like the driver is putting him in the unplayable junk.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

2 minutes ago, Keep It Simple said:

but I would assume if he was at least playing his second shot from the rough closer to the hole he would still have his driver and woods in the bag.

That's a very big (and likely incorrect) assumption you are making there. Even with all of the strokes gained data and the research that has been done in the last few years A LOT of people still think being in the fairway at 150 yds will result in lower scores than being 120 yds in the rough. 

2 hours ago, klineka said:

That's a very big (and likely incorrect) assumption you are making there. Even with all of the strokes gained data and the research that has been done in the last few years A LOT of people still think being in the fairway at 150 yds will result in lower scores than being 120 yds in the rough. 

All good information @klineka. Unfortunately as we see time and time again there are those who disregard stats if they don’t feel they apply to their game even though they do. Just like people who swear they’ll hit a 7i from 150yds closer to the pin than a PW from rough every time. 

Too often people think a bad drive always means it’s OB or beyond recovery. And they think they hit their irons better than they really do. Unless they’re playing in 6” US OPEN rough on their home course...closer is always better.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 hours ago, klineka said:

That's a very big (and likely incorrect) assumption you are making there.

I agree with @Keep It Simple that it's probably safe to assume anyone complaining about keeping their driver in the bag and wanting to "hit more fairways" is finding trouble off the tee and is really complaining about not having a shot to the green and not the literal fact that they want their ball in the actual fairway.

People who are just missing fairways by a few yards but still having clear approach shots to greens are probably not complaining about how much they suck with their driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've certainly done that. My driving is all over the place. However, I've been hitting 3 wood of the tee and that has helped keep me in the fairway more often and at least a bit further than I would be with my 5i. If it's working for you, then keep at it!

22 minutes ago, GoldenEagle said:

I've certainly done that. My driving is all over the place. However, I've been hitting 3 wood of the tee and that has helped keep me in the fairway more often and at least a bit further than I would be with my 5i. If it's working for you, then keep at it!

Yes we get that. The point we’re trying to make is playing that way will cap one’s potential. If there’s no desire to improve and reach your best potential that’s fine. But it’s not a solution if you’re wanting to get better. Play that way but work on the driver at the range. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 7/31/2019 at 6:37 AM, Krazy883 said:

I don't think there is a difference I said I was having problems with driver. Rough or trees it's still easier to hit to the green from the fairway. Some people on here think they should base their percentages on what the top pros are doing as stated in an earlier. By all means if they can recover as good as those pros maybe they should be on tour.

I didn’t see any difference in your statements either. It depends upon how deep is the rough and how tight the trees are. Many course I’ve played in the Boston/Upstate NY area have deep trees with about 10 feet of rough to the fairway. Bad tee shots end up being pretty rough/impossible punch outs. Many rental SGI 6i go 180 to 200 anyway... so why not play safe. OTOH, on many parkland style courses I’d hit driver all day knowing the worst punishment is that I end up in 2-3” rough and maybe behind a difficult shot out from a tree.

There are so many factors to really declare absolutes in this game.

Depends upon the courses you play...but what you are doing is perfectly legitimate and you don’t need me to say it anyway :-)

On 7/31/2019 at 7:03 AM, Krazy883 said:

Have at it. The post was asking if anyone ever had done this before not for what you preferred.  But thanks for feedback 

Sure, it’s reasonable to play this way. I’ve been playing 6000 yards without my woods. Not ideal, but not horrible either...

Many of the affordable courses in FL have 8-12” Bermuda grass rough and 4” first cut :-D

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

19 hours ago, GoldenEagle said:

This brings up another issue.  Most amateurs I have played with are better off taking a more lofted driver.  12* at a minimum.  The reason most of them hit 3 wood better is the loft at around 15* is better suited to their swings than trying to hit a 9 to 10* driver that is probably too long shafted for them

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

2 hours ago, pganapathy said:

This brings up another issue.  Most amateurs I have played with are better off taking a more lofted driver.  12* at a minimum.  The reason most of them hit 3 wood better is the loft at around 15* is better suited to their swings than trying to hit a 9 to 10* driver that is probably too long shafted for them

That's me. I used to be able to hit my driver pretty well back in my 30's-40's, but now at 55, I'm fine hitting it shorter and hitting a few more fairways. I don't have to try and impress anyone with a big drive, I just want to enjoy the game.

• Like 1

I played for years with nothing more than a 4 iron off every tee. Learned how to make a score with my short game but now I finally moved into the new era of massively oversized drivers and got fitted for one. Those days are long behind me. I had to adjust my game and learn to control distances with my wedges more. Feel as though that time I spent playing 4 iron made me a much more complete player. Friend of mine is going through that stage in his development right now so when we play together I try and talk him up with that big 4 iron of his and help build his confidence.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9 degree driver, 3 Wood and 3 Hybrid, Ping 2016 G 4-UW,  Ping Glide Forged Pro 52 degree, Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56 degree, Ping Craz-E Putter, Titleist Tour Soft balls

15 hours ago, Dunit507 said:

I played for years with nothing more than a 4 iron off every tee. Learned how to make a score with my short game but now I finally moved into the new era of massively oversized drivers and got fitted for one. Those days are long behind me. I had to adjust my game and learn to control distances with my wedges more. Feel as though that time I spent playing 4 iron made me a much more complete player. Friend of mine is going through that stage in his development right now so when we play together I try and talk him up with that big 4 iron of his and help build his confidence.

That is what I did today. Quite a short course at just under 5000 yards from the whites, but I shot my best round there ever (92). Playing a 6000 yard course tomorrow, and planning on the same strategy. Leaving the ego at home and hitting my 180 yard 4 iron off of tees. Most people write this strategy off because strokes gained yadda yadda, but lots of people don't put time in on those awkward (30 to 80) yardage shots that you find yourself with when you drive big on short par 4s. Learning to hit all of my irons well is what I value right now and as long as my score keeps dropping, I plan on keeping it this way

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

13 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Leaving the ego at home and hitting my 180 yard 4 iron off of tees.

This is what I don’t get. Hell hitting a 4i 180yds with the confidence of hitting the fairway is hard. It’s hard for me to imagine you guys are out there striping your long irons but can’t hit a driver. I would trade that problem any day.

I know people are different but it just seems if you’ve got the ability to stripe your long irons it can’t take too much work to swing your driver and hit the fairway or near to it. 

Note: This thread is 1726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!